Problems downloading pages to a flash drive

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found

Problems downloading pages to a flash drive

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 26 September 06 12:25 pm

Some advice please. I am preparing for a trip to Brissy next week, during which I am going to visit a heap of caches. In preparation, I am downloading each cache I intend to visit to a flash drive off my desktop, for use in my laptop during the trip. All was going well, having downloaded over 50 webpages, but suddenly it has stopped with an error message "This web page could not be saved." There is heaps of room available on the drive, only used about 100meg out of 2 gig.
Is there a limit a non premium member can download? Thats about the only thing I can think of. I intend to get membership, but thats not the highest priority at the moment. And yes, I do realise that when I get it, this whole thing will be a lot easier to do, than the manual method I am currently using. Cheers
Bundy

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 26 September 06 1:14 pm

Was it a new flash drive bought off ebay?

If so, peruse this thread:http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... 84&start=0

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 26 September 06 1:28 pm

As Craigrat said, if you have purchased these large usb drives off of ebay etc be aware.....check out >> This thread <<, especially the links i provided, for more details.

Just adding to the membership debate, you should be able to just sign up for US$3 per month and d/load some pocket queries and then cancel membership before the end of the month :P

mm

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 26 September 06 1:31 pm

I think you should try using GSAK... it would be much easier. Pull all of the caches into GSAK & then export to HTML & copy the resultant HTML to the thumb drive. If you want images as well then use spoilersync.

I could also send you some pocket query emails that I've recieved that would cover all of the caches in Queensland (4 emails)... PM me if you're interested.

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 26 September 06 1:42 pm

Nope, not bought off Eblag. Its a JOGR 2 gig flash drive, bought from BigW last week. The desktop downloading the info is running XP, but the laptop is running 98SE, so needed something apart from plug and play. This drive came with the installation disk for use with 98SE. TGF, I will get back to you on your offer. As most will know, Im a reletive newbie, and still learning so, as things do, it will come with experience.

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 27 September 06 3:47 pm

Well, it seems it was a defective drive. I returned it to Big Dub after copying my files off it. I reloaded the files onto the replacement, and have been able to continue loading further pages.
Next question, using GSAK, can I download co ordinates IN THE ORDER i want to visit them. Obviously for what I am wanting to do, time is of the essence. I think I am up to over 100 caches planned for the day, or days, whichever is needed. And that doesnt include the ones I am planning to do on the way down, early morning Wednesday next week, or those in proximity to where I will be staying.

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 27 September 06 4:31 pm

Might be worth asking in a new thread (or in the HUGE gsak thread :P ) as others may want to know the answer.....myself included. Though i believe the answer may be NO. I usually filter by difficulty/terrain, then distance, then DNFs, etc which gives me a starting place to look.

mm

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 27 September 06 4:43 pm

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:Well, it seems it was a defective drive. I returned it to Big Dub after copying my files off it. I reloaded the files onto the replacement, and have been able to continue loading further pages.
Next question, using GSAK, can I download co ordinates IN THE ORDER i want to visit them. Obviously for what I am wanting to do, time is of the essence. I think I am up to over 100 caches planned for the day, or days, whichever is needed. And that doesnt include the ones I am planning to do on the way down, early morning Wednesday next week, or those in proximity to where I will be staying.
There is a 'cache raid' macro available off the GSAk site that will sort caches on order of theior proximity. It works pretty well for a big run :wink:

The Garner Family

Post by The Garner Family » 27 September 06 5:09 pm

Or you just create an additional field in gsak and number the caches as much as you like.

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 30 September 06 9:20 pm

Well, I have found the answer for getting them into a route order. Create another column naming it "User Data" from the name menu, and number your caches in the order you want to do them, using 2 digits if less than 100, three digits if more than 100, eg 008, or 052, ect. Then double click on the "User Data" heading. This will put your caches in order. If you click again, it will put them in reverse order.
Now my problem is getting them to the GPS. I have a Garmin GPS60. I go to "Send Waypoints" in the drop down menu under GPS. It confirms how many waypoints to download, then gives a progress bar, then says the data has been sent, BUT, there are no waypoints on the GPS. Any ideas anyone.
Oh, and it 102 caches I am trying to download for the big day. I still have to do the 25 or so for the trip down and around where I am staying.

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 30 September 06 9:47 pm

Are you finding the waypoints by using the geocaching feature or "find waypoints" only? The icons for those waypoints uploaded may not be the same as the requirements for the geocaching feature.

mm

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 30 September 06 9:55 pm

I am "Checking" (god I hate that word) - ticking the boxes beside the cache on the GC search page, then clicking the "Download Waypoints" button at the bottom. Through trial and error, I have found I have to do this page by page to download all the caches I want for the route.

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 30 September 06 9:58 pm

I meant on the GPS :wink: Generally if the download works, then the problem is the GPS (or the user :roll: :lol: )

mm

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 30 September 06 11:05 pm

Nope, they dont appear anywhere. Not under 'Waypoints, Geocaches, recent finds, or cities" Next guess?
Anyhow, I am off to bed, I have been at these preparations for Thursday since about 7.30 this morning. My head hurts.

Team Falling Numerals

Post by Team Falling Numerals » 30 September 06 11:43 pm

we have a garmin 60 - I always use gsak to download waypoints into the GPSr - check that you have selected the right settings in the GPS>Setup menu. Tbe last time I had problems I discovered that I did not have the GPS setup as USB. :oops:

If you continue to have problems send a message and we can talk you through it.