Light conversation

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 31 August 06 8:51 pm

Pezel headlamp with halogen globe, and the million candlepower rechargable at GZ (about 20 minutes life).

But I also always carry a mini maglite rip off (Arlec?) with me all the time, great for the unexpected cave cache, illuminating under logs etc and the light beam from an unexpected source and direction can sometimes highlight an otherwise difficult to see cache.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 31 August 06 9:06 pm

What ever happened to following the dim glow of your GPS to the cache or using the flash of the camera for a brief glimpse of what is ahead :shock: :oops:

Had a test the other day (albeit very short :cry: ) with a bloke's 15 million candlepower 35w HID torch made by Magnalight

......melts bitumen :twisted: Just don't ask about the price :shock: :cry:

mm

muzza
2500 or more caches found

Post by muzza » 31 August 06 9:37 pm

I have two small torches in my caching bag.

1. An 11 LED torch running on two AA batteries which provides a soft all round glow - good for situations where you don't want to draw a lot of attention from others nearby.

2. 7W Luxeon Torch with two RCR123 3.0 V Lithion Ion Rechargable batteries with a great beam.

These two torches cover 95% of my night caching needs.

onward bound
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by onward bound » 31 August 06 11:23 pm

My job sees me walking through the bush at night most weeks and I use a Princeton tec headlamp which incorporates 3 LED's and 1 Zenon bulb..you can switch between the two settings. Its really great for general illumination and battery life on the LEDs and spotting tracks/caches etc on the zenon bulb. The best thing through is that its payed for by my work and if I break it they give me another one :D :D :D :D

THENANKS
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by THENANKS » 01 September 06 12:49 am

onward bound wrote:My job sees me walking through the bush at night most weeks and I use a Princeton tec headlamp which incorporates 3 LED's and 1 Zenon bulb..you can switch between the two settings. Its really great for general illumination and battery life on the LEDs and spotting tracks/caches etc on the zenon bulb. The best thing through is that its payed for by my work and if I break it they give me another one :D :D :D :D
:P :P :P :P :P :P
I dont suppose you could accidently leave one in a cache ,let me know which one it is in , then I could swap it with a bag of marbles ??????? :wink:

onward bound
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by onward bound » 01 September 06 9:13 pm

:lol: Well, the mini bounders did like the marbles you left in "bound for glory" but....ummmm....no.

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 08 September 06 1:43 pm

This conversation got me out and looking, and lo and behold, Maglite released an "Official" 3Watt Luxeon LED conversion module for the 2, 3 & 4 C
& D Maglite bodies in the USA in April. A review is available here.

While it hasn't "officially" hit our shores yet, I bought a few spares to try and cover some of the shipping cost. Anyone interested in getting their hands on one of these, send me a message and we can work on the details. US retail for the official mag version is $US17, and the current market price on the third party modules is around $AU45. I'm thinking $30 would be a fair asking price for these modules, including my shipping to you (within Australia). I wouldn't be making any profit on those, just covering the exchange rate and shipping. I've got 4 of the 3 cell version, and 5 of the 4 cell version to spare. If there are no takers, I'll likely list them on a certain well known auction site, with a bit of a mark up.

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 09 September 06 1:42 pm

fehrgo wrote:This conversation got me out and looking, and lo and behold, Maglite released an "Official" 3Watt Luxeon LED conversion module for the 2, 3 & 4 C

While it hasn't "officially" hit our shores yet, I bought a few spares to try and cover some of the shipping cost. Anyone interested in getting their hands on one of these, send me a message and we can work on the details. US retail for the official mag version is $US17, and the current market price on the third party modules is around $AU45. I'm thinking $30 would be a fair asking price for these modules, including my shipping to you (within Australia). I wouldn't be making any profit on those, just covering the exchange rate and shipping. I've got 4 of the 3 cell version, and 5 of the 4 cell version to spare. If there are no takers, I'll likely list them on a certain well known auction site, with a bit of a mark up.
I will say yes for my work torch, a 3 d cell. Sounds great

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 09 September 06 4:05 pm

If you want a lightweight headlamp then for my money you cannot beat the Princeton Tec EOS. 1W Luxeon with 3 modes, 3xAAA's, impact resitant polymer casing, fully current regulated (plus it doesn't just "die" when regulation ends) and fully waterproof (I use it while canyoning).

Can be had on eBay for under $50 delivered from the US.

Review here:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/review ... ec_eos.htm

After using countless cheapies that just fall apart, I will never buy another cheapie again.

EcoDave :)

Derringer

Post by Derringer » 09 September 06 5:24 pm

I also recommend the Princeton Tec EOS headlamp.
I use it for all my Night geocaching and rogaining.

The only other torch that comes close to it is the Petzl XP headlamp
which has a slide across the lens diffuser for use in tents etc, when a beam isn't required
(Meredith has an XP)

Kevin

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 13 September 06 3:24 pm

fehrgo wrote:This conversation got me out and looking, and lo and behold, Maglite released an "Official" 3Watt Luxeon LED conversion module for the 2, 3 & 4 C

Lightning fast delivery, works great, would deal with again! AAAAAAAA++++++++++++++++ :P
Thanks fehrgo, an impressive upgrade! :D

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 13 September 06 5:01 pm

zactyl wrote:Lightning fast delivery, works great, would deal with again! AAAAAAAA++++++++++++++++ :P
Thanks fehrgo, an impressive upgrade! :D
Ditto thanks Fehrgo, love your work.

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 13 September 06 10:28 pm

I aim to please :) Still a few left, if anybody else wants one.

Eric