Melbourne Maps

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
zorgon
300 or more found
300 or more found

Melbourne Maps

Post by zorgon » 31 August 06 12:37 pm

I am a Kiwi Geocacher planning a trip to Melbourne in the next couple of months :D To aid in route planning I would like to purchase some mapping software to enable waypoints (caches) that have been filtered through GSAK to be plotted on a map.

After doing a brief search on the forums and reading your very informative Wiki it seems that one option would be to purchase a copy of Oziexplorer plus a copy of the UBD Australian City Streets DVD (total cost approx $200).

Would this achieve my objective or can someone suggest a better alternative :? Any comments will be gratefully received

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 01 September 06 2:15 pm

Ozi is great, the Australia 1:250 K DVD would be a good buy as it is topo maps of all of australia.
The streets one will most likely only show the main towns.

Alex from www.cartographics.com.au is a keen SA geocacher that can help you with all of the above thru his shop. (He has a decent website too).

arthurking83

Re: Melbourne Maps

Post by arthurking83 » 01 September 06 10:25 pm

zorgon wrote:I am a Kiwi Geocacher planning a trip to Melbourne ....

Would this achieve my objective or can someone suggest a better alternative :? Any comments will be gratefully received
That would certainly acheive your objective, but if you come over to http://www.gpsaustralia.net/ search out OziMapGrabber you could download some maps for use with Ozi that would serve the same purpose.

(They may be a couple of years behind the current versions, but still 99.9% workable!)

My suggestion is not "better" just cheaper! :)

zorgon
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by zorgon » 02 September 06 7:09 am

Thanks for that. I will purchase unlock codes for Ozi today and have a play for a while before getting maps.

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 02 September 06 3:17 pm

At the price you can get the UBD disc for, and the level of details and convenience, you can't go past it! Of course it does all major cities as well, so an added bonus.

arthurking83

Post by arthurking83 » 03 September 06 12:44 am

Webguy wrote:At the price you can get the UBD disc for, and the level of details and convenience, you can't go past it! Of course it does all major cities as well, so an added bonus.
Definitely the easier option, if you can't be bothered to download "a billion" and check they are the corret areas...etc!

The UBD maps are great value for money! and ready to go!