pocket pc

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

pocket pc

Post by Mr Router » 15 May 06 10:20 pm

Cann anyone tell me of a GSAK like program for pocket, so when you have Ozice up and try to open file attachments from tapping on the waypoint as you can on the PC that you can have the logs come up?

alpha993
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by alpha993 » 15 May 06 11:40 pm

I use GPXSonar v1.4 on my PPC for looking up cache details - http://gpxsonar.homeip.net/default.aspx

<P>I always have my bookmark for http://mobile.geocaching.com.au/ handy if in mobile phone range and it's been a while since I copied the GPX file to my PPC.

<P> I haven't tried it myself, but wonder if you could export HTML from GSAK, copy to PPC and store the link in Ozi as a relative file path :?: ...now there's a weekend project... :)

alpha993
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by alpha993 » 15 May 06 11:59 pm

From GSAK Help "Export HTML Files Dialog Box (File=>Export=>HTML)"
Use this dialog box to create a folder of HTML files and associated graphics files. You can use these files to view cache descriptions when you don't have an Internet connection. Alternatively, you download this folder to a PDA (Pocket PC, or via Plucker or Isolo if using a Palm) so you can view cache descriptions while you are "in the field". You also have the option of creating a .ZIP file of the cache folder. The .ZIP file uses considerably less disk space than the cache folder, and is useful for transferring cache information over a slow connection, or as an email attachment.
<P>Not sure about the filepath bit...

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 16 May 06 9:08 am

alpha993 wrote:From GSAK Help "Export HTML Files Dialog Box (File=>Export=>HTML)"
Use this dialog box to create a folder of HTML files and associated graphics files. You can use these files to view cache descriptions when you don't have an Internet connection. Alternatively, you download this folder to a PDA (Pocket PC, or via Plucker or Isolo if using a Palm) so you can view cache descriptions while you are "in the field". You also have the option of creating a .ZIP file of the cache folder. The .ZIP file uses considerably less disk space than the cache folder, and is useful for transferring cache information over a slow connection, or as an email attachment.
<P>Not sure about the filepath bit...
We do already export HTML file to the PDA and read them with IE, will load a fresh one and check to see what goes, I'll get back to you shortly, Many thanx.

alpha993
200 or more found
200 or more found

Easy preparation for paperless caching

Post by alpha993 » 16 May 06 9:34 pm

http://www.gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=1496 describes a PPC solution that might be worth investigating

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 20 May 06 2:11 am

After loosing all my logs and notes (of various multi's aaaarrrggghhhh) with GPXSonar on a Jornada I've gone back to a html export from GSAK onto the "C:....Pocket_PC562 My Documents" directory which appears on the desktop when the synchronisation software was installed. GSAK remembers the default directory for the HTML export and so one export and next time I put the PDA in it's cradle the latest caches with 5 logs is loaded into a cache directory on the PDA. For recording the logs I just remember them or make a tick on the driving maps that Mapsource prints out.
Summary: GPXSonar on Jornada not stable enough for happy caching.

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 20 May 06 9:28 am

I used to use GPX Sonar but often had problems with certain caches not opening... not to mention it was slow with a big database.

I switched to using HTML from out of GSAK & found it far better meets my needs.

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 21 May 06 11:35 am

The Garner Family wrote:I used to use GPX Sonar but often had problems with certain caches not opening... not to mention it was slow with a big database.

I switched to using HTML from out of GSAK & found it far better meets my needs.
Starting very quick to agree! We only loaded it to test & now we think it ont get used to much! HTML files offer a better range of features & you just have to write your notes on pocket word & save as RTD and just bluetooth and cut and paste on to the web page, works really good, makes like you type really fast :roll:
Does anyone know some code to load to auto it to IE without first locating it manully??

The Garner Family

Post by The Garner Family » 21 May 06 7:58 pm

Mr Router wrote:Does anyone know some code to load to auto it to IE without first locating it manully??
Using Active Sync I just created a shortcut to the index.htm file and copied it into /Windows/Start Menu (or where-ever the start menu is located) then I just renamed it to 'Geocaches'.

Zytheran

Post by Zytheran » 21 May 06 11:37 pm

Once the html files are being copied from the export directory on the PC to the PDA just set the home page on IE on the PDA to the index.htm file in the directory where they are copied to.
Start up IE on the PDA and hey presto, ready to go at index page.

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 22 May 06 9:48 am

Thanx all! We have it working 110% what a bargain, the only trouble is we cannot leave home without it, hehe. Not really a problem.

alpha993
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by alpha993 » 22 May 06 6:43 pm

Mr Router wrote:Thanx all! We have it working 110% what a bargain, the only trouble is we cannot leave home without it, hehe. Not really a problem.
<P>have you cracked opening the cache details from within oziCE via "open file attachment"? All my research to-date suggests this can only be done with the desktop version of Ozi...

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 23 May 06 8:36 am

alpha993 wrote:
Mr Router wrote:Thanx all! We have it working 110% what a bargain, the only trouble is we cannot leave home without it, hehe. Not really a problem.
<P>have you cracked opening the cache details from within oziCE via "open file attachment"? All my research to-date suggests this can only be done with the desktop version of Ozi...
Ok, Ok so only 109% this still eludes me :oops:

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 23 May 06 5:36 pm

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 23 May 06 6:34 pm

rhinogeo wrote:Why don't you just get <font color=blue>Cachemate for Pocket PC?</font color>
Will this line up with Ozi?