Laptop connection problem

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found

Laptop connection problem

Post by Team Pathfinder » 09 May 06 10:53 pm

Hi all,
I used to have no problem loading waypoints via the serial port from GSAK.

We havent had to worry about downloading for quite a while as we havent lived close enough to many geocaches. Well now all that has changed but so has the PC and I now have a laptop with USBs only. Not a problem, I headed over to the local store and bought a USB to Serial cable to connect to my Etrex cable and thought it should have been VOILA (sp). :D It wasnt - (I have installed the drivers) - all I can get is a message telling me Garmin USB not found (or something like that). I am sure that there must be others who have to use a USB to serial or did you all go out and purchase another cable from Garmin??? HELP please :oops: Not to technical please :wink:

TeamBeanDare
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by TeamBeanDare » 09 May 06 10:57 pm

You need to connect to the GPS as if it was connected to a serial port. The USB to Serial adaptor would make a virtual serial port. You then connect to the GPS using serial connection option in GSAK or what ever software you're using.

Team Pathfinder

Post by Team Pathfinder » 09 May 06 11:03 pm

Nup! Get the message Cant initiate com port 3. Now if I remember correctly that happened on my old laptop too and we thought something was wrong with it. Coincidence????

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 09 May 06 11:20 pm

Where did you get the adaptor? (some are known not to work)

What com port does the USB driver make - check in device manager.

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 10 May 06 1:25 am

Give me a ring at work tommorow Sue and I'll try to help, number is in my profile here.
Andrew

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 10 May 06 8:46 am

Team Pathfinder wrote:Nup! Get the message Cant initiate com port 3. Now if I remember correctly that happened on my old laptop too and we thought something was wrong with it. Coincidence????
Set it up to work on com port 4.

Team Pathfinder

Post by Team Pathfinder » 10 May 06 10:31 am

Thanks for your quick assistance all, its much appreciated since my husband is away at work for the next couple of months and I dont have much phone contact. Unfortunately no luck so far. I shall have to take Andrews kind offer up I think.

Where did I buy the adaptor - At Mitchell & Brown our big electrical retailer - its a Aten model US-232A

I have actually tried changing the com port from Com 3 through to 5 but just kept telling me cant find the one I was trying.

Maybe more luck today :D

Sue

Postman Pat
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Postman Pat » 10 May 06 12:49 pm

I had the same problem with my garmin 76 and found that I had to have the gpsr connected and powered up then boot the laptop. for some reason it would not find the gpsr after booting up or disconecting from the laptop I would have to reboot and it was there again :oops:
ron

Gunn Parker

Post by Gunn Parker » 10 May 06 1:01 pm

A friend of mine has the same problem with his new laptop and his etrex "yellow", he must connect it first and turn the gps on, he uses mapsource and the etrex. with xp on the laptop with the serial to usb connector

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 10 May 06 2:23 pm

I used to find if the USB adaptor was plugged in when the machine booted up, it thought it was a mouse and the programs couldn't use the port. Plus the NMEA data coming out of the GPS made the cursor go rather crazy!

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 10 May 06 5:57 pm

If there is a data stream on the port when booting. windows XP will assume it has a mouse or other pointing device attached.

On the laptop I can boot the computer with or without the USB adaptor installed, however if its installed I disconnect it from the GPS before booting the computer. On the desktop machine, the adaptor is left attached to the USB port on my monitor. I only plug the GPS into it when I want to transfer data.

Its worthwhile checking to see if the device is installed correctly.

On windows XP:
Right Click 'My Computer'
Select hardware -> device manager
Scroll down the tree to Ports (COM & LPT)

Click the + sign and check the ports.

As an example, mine has 'Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM4)

C.A.S.
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by C.A.S. » 10 May 06 6:17 pm

riblit wrote:Its worthwhile checking to see if the device is installed correctly.

On windows XP:
Right Click 'My Computer'
Select hardware -> device manager
Scroll down the tree to Ports (COM & LPT)

Click the + sign and check the ports.

As an example, mine has 'Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM4)
Spot on Riblit. Was going to suggest this too as I came across it recently Also keep in mind that different computers will different Com ports too. For example when I use my desktop PC with a USB2Serial converter it was on COM3 but on the laptop it was COM10.

By the way, I bought a USB2Serial cable from the IT Warehouse for $25

TimTam

Team Pathfinder

Post by Team Pathfinder » 10 May 06 7:39 pm

Gunn Parker wrote:A friend of mine has the same problem with his new laptop and his etrex "yellow", he must connect it first and turn the gps on, he uses mapsource and the etrex. with xp on the laptop with the serial to usb connector
Just had a bit of a fiddle and tried to turn the laptop on with the GPS turned on and the cable connected. No luck.

Tried going to OziExplorer instead of GSAK and attempted to get Waypoints from GPS again message read - failure to communicate with GPS. I have looked at all of the config. settings and they are right as far as I can see.

I am off to the 4WD club meeting this evening but upon return I am going to turn on the old monster desktop, get under the desk, connect the serial cable and try from there!!!!!! At least I will no there isnt something wrong with our Yellow & our Vista!!!! Wish me luck :D

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 10 May 06 9:54 pm

Are you using XP home or Pro, I have heard XP Home doesn't have all the drivers that you need

Gunn Parker

Post by Gunn Parker » 10 May 06 10:39 pm

Also make sure that the gps in setup, then interface, is set to GARMIN not NMEA.