Golf meets GPS

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
sc00t
200 or more found
200 or more found

Golf meets GPS

Post by sc00t » 08 May 06 11:51 am

A guy i work with played some golf on the weekend, and the buggy had a GPS installed on it that told them how far away the next hole was. I thought about it and really couldn't figure out the deal with it so i investigated.<p>
http://www.mightygps.com/Activity/PocketGolfPro.htm<br>or<br>
http://www.golfps.com
<p>
What a great idea!!!!

langy
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by langy » 08 May 06 12:25 pm

I experienced this joy just a week or two ago. The GPS was a 'purpose built' Garmin module with the course 'landmarks' programmed in. all you had to do was park the cart next to the ball and provided it was facing in the appropriate direction the GPS told you the distance to the nearest appropriate landmark. Of course being an experienced user (ahem) I could also use the buttons on the side of the modified eTrex to show me other distances as well.
FYI that was at Victor Harbor GC.

sc00t
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by sc00t » 08 May 06 1:42 pm

Does it automatically update when youget to each hole??
<p>
How does that work??

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 08 May 06 2:40 pm

sc00t wrote:Does it automatically update when youget to each hole??
<p>
How does that work??
I would guess that the tee for the next hole is far enough away for the GPSr to know that you're not at the previous green anymore.
And if your approach shot put you near the next tee, then you're too close to bother much with the GPSr, since the EPE would be a high percentage of the total distance.

Why not put the GPSr in the _ball_ so it knows where the hole is and just _goes_ there?!

TeamBeanDare
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by TeamBeanDare » 08 May 06 10:31 pm

Most people would be worried about the error but I would be very happy if one of my iron shots landed within 10m of the hole.<BR><BR>Not sure if it's sticktly legal to play with a GPS. I know my workmates wouldn't let me forget it if they saw me "Cheating" like that.

sc00t
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by sc00t » 08 May 06 11:09 pm

TeamBeanDare wrote:Not sure if it's sticktly legal to play with a GPS. I know my workmates wouldn't let me forget it if they saw me "Cheating" like that.
<p>
Apparently it is legal.

waky53

Post by waky53 » 09 May 06 1:46 am

This is dealt with in Rule 14.3, a player cannot use equipment to measure or gauge distance during a competition round, but you can use it in practice.
Also the club may make a local rule that allows equipment to measure distance.
Certain GPS units may still be unable to be used if they can also measure the amount of gradient & other conditions even if this feature is not used.

This is why a caddie will walk the course before the event to write down distances from various points on the course so he can advise the golfer on what club is required to reach the green.

langy
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by langy » 09 May 06 8:49 am

To the uninitiated it may seem like a huge advantage but most courses have distance markers on everything from poles to sprinkler heads. Having the GPS might actually save time ina golfers round as he/she will not be pacing out distances from the nearest distance marker!

crew 153
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 09 May 06 10:09 am

I saw the title to this thread and thought you were talking about -
</p>

<a href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 93267">"St. Andrews - Warrigal Course"</a><br> :) :evil:

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Golf meets GPS

Post by If » 09 May 06 7:04 pm

The thought crossed my mind too !! But the Crew153 St Andrews course is more like GPS imitating golf :?
Just as frustrating, just as much fun and exercise, 'cept you don't lose any golf balls :P