Magellan explorist 600 firmware 2.03 update problems

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
fastandfurious

Magellan explorist 600 firmware 2.03 update problems

Post by fastandfurious » 07 May 06 1:28 pm

I installed the firmware update from next destination via a link to the Magellan web site... I downloaded the firmware file update under the explorist 600 link (the file downloaded was eX500v2_03). Is this the right file as the file name extension indicates that it is for a 500 and not a 600? I installed the update as outlined on the Magellan site (clear memory, remove SD card etc...) I had no issues installing the update. The update was successful as indicated on the pc and by the about file on the explorist indicating the new firmware version.

I AM USING DISCOVER AUS STREETS & TRACK TOPO IN SD CARD AND USED WINDOWS XP SP1 TO INSTALL THE FIRMWEAR UPDATE

Since I have installed the update I am unable to calibrate the compass... the spirit level does not move irrespective of the direction the explorist is held not allowing the user to complete the next step of the calibration (only option is to cancel/exit the calibration) Other issues I encountered include no seas and lakes (bodies of water other than rivers) been shown when the scale is zoomed to 5km (No blue was displayed on the screen map to indicate they were there). Inaccurate data or no data being displayed in the data fields when the cursor is moved at the 5km zoom interval over a bay or sea was also experienced.

All my settings are correct... primary usage (land)... track detail... map datum (wgs84)... etc...

CAN ANYONE PLEASE SHED SOME LIGHT REGARDING MY PROBLEM?

*** Does anyone have the old firmware as a file that they can send to me?

*** Does anyone have the latest firmware as I think the firmware I downloaded may be incorrect for my explorist 600?

*** Any other suggestions?

I am very grateful for any help regarding the above... I have pulled my hair out searching many forums and web sites in an attempt to resolve this issue.

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 07 May 06 2:49 pm

I have had no problems with that software version on my unit, all i can suggest is pull the memory card out and do a unit reset again and see if that clears up any problems otherwise try installing the software a second time, but it is always a good idea to do a unit reset before and after the software is loaded

have a look on the GC.com forum there is a large thread on the magellan explorist units and the software update

fastandfurious

Magellan 600 firmware update 2.03 PROBLEMS ???

Post by fastandfurious » 08 May 06 10:20 pm

I had already done a restart and reinstalled the firmware update 3 times prior to positing this message... I managed to solve the error regarding my compass and upon further inspection found a problem with the temperature settings in addition to the compass error. To rectify this I entered the SECRET NUMBERS SECTION (21 answered yes... and then 22 and follow the instructions on screen. This did a very thorough recalibration.

I STILL FOUND AN ERROR.... VIEWING PORT PHILLIP BAY AT THE 5KM RANGE DOES NOT SHOW THE WATER AS BLUE (white) AND WHEN THE CURSOR IS MOVED OVER THIS AREA NOTHING IS DISPLAYED IN THE DATA FIELD. AT 10KM PORT PHILLIP BAY IS DISPLAYED AS BLUE BUT WHEN THE CURSOR IS MOVED OVER THE BAY "SOUTH PACIFIC SEA" IS DISPLAYED. SAME GOES FOR THE 20KM, 40KM, ZOOM RANGES.

Is this a problem with Discover Aust Streets & Tracks Topo or the firmware update? If you have a 600 see if you experience the same thing by visiting the same area... obviously you will have to load VIC as the detailed map. Are you temperature readings accurate?

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 08 May 06 11:42 pm

I do not have the GPS on hand at the moment but i do know the problem you are having with the water view in which my unit does the same yet i haven't found it to be a problem. with the new software you now have to calibrate the temp gauge yourself when in the weather screen and you hit the menu or enter button you should have an option to calibrate the temp in the same way you do with the barometer

pprass
10000 or more caches found

Re: Magellan 600 firmware update 2.03 PROBLEMS ???

Post by pprass » 09 May 06 11:55 pm

fastandfurious wrote: If you have a 600 see if you experience the same thing by visiting the same area... obviously you will have to load VIC as the detailed map. Are you temperature readings accurate?
My 600 has V5.2.03 Dec 15 2005 and it shows the same as what you have described. My Meridian Color with V5.36 Aug 23 2004 also showes the same detail with the same name for Port Phillip Bay. So I would say it is the conversion from DAST.

fastandfurious

Explorist 600 firmware update problems

Post by fastandfurious » 10 May 06 10:47 pm

Hi GIN51E,

I have recalibrated the altitude settings and temperature but they seem to be fairly inaccurate when compared to the earlier firmware version... I have sifted through many posts and web sites regarding this and found that many other users have experienced the same thing since updating to 2.03 Dec 15 2005...

Pprass I did some searching and also found that many other explorist users experience the same problems when viewing maps at this zoom level (5km). I have also found many other issues regarding the display of the topo maps that I deem to be completely unexceptable.

Does anyone have a complete list of what the secret code numbers relate to...? 3 relates to enabling or disabling WASS etc...

Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this zooming problem experienced with the explorist 600?

I look forward to giving geocaching a go and trying some of your caches... I have only used my gps in a hiking/ expedition context in conjunction with maps (datum = UTM)

pprass

Re: Explorist 600 firmware update problems

Post by pprass » 10 May 06 11:04 pm

fastandfurious wrote: Does anyone have a complete list of what the secret code numbers relate to...? 3 relates to enabling or disabling WASS etc...

Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this zooming problem experienced with the explorist 600?
Look here for the codes: http://rhamphorinkx.newmail.ru/sf.htm

Regarding the zooming issue - there is no problem with the explorist as mentioned before. The same thing happens with the Meridians. It is the conversion from DAST.

Tell me - why is it causing you problems?

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 10 May 06 11:24 pm

I have never found the Barometer to have any faults when i have calibrated it and tested elevation changes, i have always found them to be true. only time i have found it can't be trusted is when your inside a motor vehicle due to the pressure difference created whilst driving and with the Ventilation system running.

The Temp gauge i have never really worried about as it can vary greatly, first where is the temp probe located? inside the unit, what does the GPS run on? Electrical Energy what do you find with items that run on Electricity? they give off heat, so as the unit warms up from operation so does the temp gauge slights although i find it does try to correct itself to a point, other factors that play a large roll is the GPS spends most of its time in your hand, which also causes the unit to warm up and another factor is the unit is black, which causes the unit to warm up quickly when in sunlight. i have set the temp on mine using a Infra-Red Thermometer and a K type thermocouple but the after a while the GPS unit will read higher, turn the unit off for a couple of hours and turn back on and they are all reading the same again.

The Map screen, I've never had a problem sure it may do as you say but it is of no concern to me and i consider it normal, i am still able to look at the screen and identify the coast without it being blue.

I'm sorry you find yourself having problems with your unit but i don't think there is anything i can do to help, since i made the software upgrade the unit has never run better and better features and less faults than with the older software, i actually can't wait until they release a new software version to see what else is knew.

hope you sort the unit out, best of luck and look forward to seeing you with a few caches under your belt which the 600 with the 2.03 software has the perfect Geocaching features.

fastandfurious

Explorist 600 2.03 firmware update problems

Post by fastandfurious » 11 May 06 9:17 pm

Hi Pprass,

Thanks for the codesÂ… Code 72 relates to Screen frame rate and I assume this to relate to the rate in which screen data is refreshed? My default setting is 14 and I am not sure what this unit relates to? While using the unit in a motor vehicle traveling at about 60km with a zoom of 160m or below tends to have your current position approximately 70m behind your actual position. What would be a good screen frame rate to solve this problem? Are there any trade offs other than increased power usage etcÂ… for using a higher frame rate assuming that this is what frame rate relates to?

The only problem I have without being able to see seas (excuse the pun) is that I thought that there may be an issue with my firmware update or my Discover Aus Streets & Tracks Topo map.

Thanks for your help to date.

Hi again GIN51E,

I have always taken into consideration what you have mentioned about external factors that may have caused the thermometer to display a reading that is far removed from the actual temperature. The pressure altimeter seems to be erratic from time to time which gives me the idea that it is inaccurate. The only problem I really had with the sea not being displayed as blue as I previously mentioned to Pprass is that I thought that there may be an issue with my firmware update or my Discover Aus Streets & Tracks Topo map.

DonÂ’t get me wrong I think the explorist 600 is a good gps despite the issues regarding the Topo map being on SD card and no software interface currently being offered to allow the two to communicate. The other problem with early 600 explorists (such as mine) that I have encountered included the soft compound being used in the keypadÂ… I had mine replaced free of charge by Next DestinationÂ… Other than that and the other issues I have mentioned I must say that I am happy overall with the unit. If you have any information in regards to how to refresh the screen rate please let me know. I will look up both of your caches and attempt to locate them when I get some spare time on the weekendÂ…

arthurking83

Post by arthurking83 » 20 May 06 11:56 pm

I did read a post in the groundspeak forums, where someone tried to change the screen rate setting you speak of (we don't get that hidden code in the Meridian).
I think it locked up his unit???

I wouldn't play with that setting, until more info is revealed on how to use it properly!
Even the fabled Ramphorinkx website fails to elaborate on how it works!

Regarding the lakes/sea color at zoom 5km-10km....we await Next Destination's glacially paced next move, with respect to the PC software!!

arthurking83

Post by arthurking83 » 21 May 06 1:02 am

Hi again!

I just played with some settings (on my Meridian!!)

If I set the map detail to Highest, then the bay (Port Phillip) becomes white at zoom 5km and 10 km, and the map info says "Cursor".

If I set the map detail to anything less than "Highest", at zoom 10km I see BLUE! bay water and the position at the cursor says "Sea"??? or South Pacific...but the bay is blue!
Problem is....no lakes are shown(blue or white!!), even the mighty Corangamite, near Colac!!

So you gain an inch, but lose a mile!

I'd like to try to edit a file called map00.ini, but I'm worried about recompiliing the map, and it not working on the SD card.....$400 down the drain???

:oops:

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 21 May 06 8:58 am

arthurking83 wrote: I'd like to try to edit a file called map00.ini, but I'm worried about recompiliing the map, and it not working on the SD card.....$400 down the drain???
Can't you just copy everything on the SD card into its own file, before you modify it and that way if it doesn't work out then you can just re copy the old files back onto the card?

arthurking83

Post by arthurking83 » 21 May 06 6:31 pm

GIN51E wrote:......
Can't you just copy everything on the SD card into its own file, before you modify it and that way if it doesn't work out then you can just re copy the old files back onto the card?
Already done!
Saved all images to the hdd...just in case :wink:

Theory would predict that the images files will work once they are replaced back onto the SD card, but I'm not willing to try my luck just yet.

The real problem is recompiling the map images anyhow, without any way to do this at the moment, there's no real point trying.
The data that makes up the image files is in a different format to DAST v1.

Anyone with DAST v1 can easily modify export.cfg to modify the zoom level at which detail is displayed, for those maps!

This is why we need to keep up pressure on NextDestination to release the PC software.