New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
User avatar
tronador
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found
Posts: 1542
Joined: 04 November 05 10:18 pm
Location: Lidcombe,Sydney, NSW

Re: New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Post by tronador » 22 May 15 10:29 pm

Thanks so much for the review. Exactly what I wanted to hear. Probably going to go with the i5 though cause I don't game and dont need it for business use. Sounds like the perfect travel companion too. Better than the tablet.

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found
Posts: 727
Joined: 08 August 09 12:04 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Post by LouiseAnn » 22 May 15 11:38 pm

sounds cool Geoff :)

User avatar
gmj3191
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 1314
Joined: 22 April 03 12:37 am
Location: Sandringham, Vic Garmin Oregon 650

Re: New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Post by gmj3191 » 26 May 15 1:09 pm

One thing GSAK doesn't support is scrolling down the cache list by dragging down on the touch screen.
Not sure why, because this a very natural thing to want to do.
I have put a request for this in the GSAK forum.
Last edited by gmj3191 on 26 May 15 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
spatialriq
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found
Posts: 326
Joined: 12 May 11 11:52 pm
Location: Perth

Re: New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Post by spatialriq » 26 May 15 3:10 pm

gmj3191 wrote:I have it running on a Surface Pro 3.
Fantastic machine.
I run it in a dock as a desktop, with keyboard, mouse, two external monitors and a PROBOX drive bay with the four HDDs from old desktop in it.
Then I just pull it out of the dock and becomes a laptop with the magnetic keypad, or a tablet.
It's a fantastic machine, with an i7 processor and a 500 Mb SSD, running Windows 8.1
Pricey but so flexible.
It will run any windows, and runs GSAK with all Aussie caches in it, on its ear.
GSAK works well with the touch screen, or with the stylus in tablet mode.
How do you download all the caches in Australia, or a State for that matter. GSAK/Geocaching has that 5000 or so daily limit. In WA we have more caches that that so I had to break it up into mysteries, multis, trads, and the rest to get them all. Actually, not sure I've got all the trads. I'm guessing there's a better way .. I just don't know about it.

User avatar
gmj3191
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 1314
Joined: 22 April 03 12:37 am
Location: Sandringham, Vic Garmin Oregon 650

Re: New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Post by gmj3191 » 26 May 15 4:09 pm

I have all the caches in Australia broken up into PQs ordered by Date Placed within each state.
For example:
Vic 01 08 Oct 2000 to 27 Nov 2006 - contains just less than 1000 caches
Vic 02 28 Nov 2006 to 07 Jan 2009 - contains just less than 1000 caches

You can run 10 PQs per day, so you can download nearly 10,000 caches each day.

There are currently about 64,400 caches in Australia which are Available or Temporarily Unavailable, so you have the means to do it. GSAK and GC.com make it nearly automatic.

There's a break up by state of the dates for each 500 caches here http://geocaching.com.au/stats/range/, but the Wiki here needs updating as you can now get 1,000 per PQ and 10 PQs per day.

Alternatively, you can do it for the whole country using these dates.
http://project-gc.com/Tools/PQSplit?mul ... mit=Filter

Online
User avatar
caughtatwork
Posts: 16081
Joined: 17 May 04 12:11 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Post by caughtatwork » 26 May 15 4:16 pm

gmj3191 wrote:There's a break up by state of the dates for each 500 caches here http://geocaching.com.au/stats/range/, but the Wiki here needs updating as you can now get 1,000 per PQ and 10 PQs per day.[/url]
That page also shows the ranges for 1000 cache groups. Just scroll down.

User avatar
tronador
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found
Posts: 1542
Joined: 04 November 05 10:18 pm
Location: Lidcombe,Sydney, NSW

Re: New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Post by tronador » 26 May 15 5:04 pm

I do that too but only for NSw.

User avatar
roundcircle
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found
Posts: 396
Joined: 27 May 06 10:10 pm
Location: Ballarat

Re: New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Post by roundcircle » 26 May 15 9:23 pm

gmj3191 wrote:There's a break up by state of the dates for each 500 caches here http://geocaching.com.au/stats/range/, but the Wiki here needs updating as you can now get 1,000 per PQ and 10 PQs per day.

Alternatively, you can do it for the whole country using these dates.
http://project-gc.com/Tools/PQSplit?mul ... mit=Filter
You can also build a GCA query and run the range option. Covers what ever strange selection criteria you like. http://geocaching.com.au/my/query/

User avatar
gmj3191
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 1314
Joined: 22 April 03 12:37 am
Location: Sandringham, Vic Garmin Oregon 650

Re: New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Post by gmj3191 » 02 June 15 12:32 pm

roundcircle wrote: You can also build a GCA query and run the range option. Covers what ever strange selection criteria you like. http://geocaching.com.au/my/query/
That will only get you details for GCA caches however, unless I'm mistaken.

Online
User avatar
CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Posts: 6939
Joined: 23 August 04 3:17 pm
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat
Location: Launceston, TAS
Contact:

Re: New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Post by CraigRat » 02 June 15 12:35 pm

gmj3191 wrote:
roundcircle wrote: You can also build a GCA query and run the range option. Covers what ever strange selection criteria you like. http://geocaching.com.au/my/query/
That will only get you details for GCA caches however, unless I'm mistaken.
Non-downloadable things like ranges and gmaps etc will also return other sites caches if the 'include 3rd party caches' box is ticked in the query.

User avatar
gmj3191
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 1314
Joined: 22 April 03 12:37 am
Location: Sandringham, Vic Garmin Oregon 650

Re: New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Post by gmj3191 » 02 June 15 1:04 pm

CraigRat wrote:
gmj3191 wrote:
roundcircle wrote: You can also build a GCA query and run the range option. Covers what ever strange selection criteria you like. http://geocaching.com.au/my/query/
That will only get you details for GCA caches however, unless I'm mistaken.
Non-downloadable things like ranges and gmaps etc will also return other sites caches if the 'include 3rd party caches' box is ticked in the query.
But that's completely useless for the topic we're discussing isn't it?
We're talking about generating a PQ to update a GSAK database. 3rd party cache details can't be included in a GPX using this method, again, unless I'm mistaken (which wouldn't be the first time by a long shot).

Online
User avatar
caughtatwork
Posts: 16081
Joined: 17 May 04 12:11 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Post by caughtatwork » 02 June 15 2:06 pm

gmj3191 wrote:
CraigRat wrote:
gmj3191 wrote:
roundcircle wrote: You can also build a GCA query and run the range option. Covers what ever strange selection criteria you like. http://geocaching.com.au/my/query/
That will only get you details for GCA caches however, unless I'm mistaken.
Non-downloadable things like ranges and gmaps etc will also return other sites caches if the 'include 3rd party caches' box is ticked in the query.
But that's completely useless for the topic we're discussing isn't it?
We're talking about generating a PQ to update a GSAK database. 3rd party cache details can't be included in a GPX using this method, again, unless I'm mistaken (which wouldn't be the first time by a long shot).
He's talking about getting the date ranges, not the data.

User avatar
gmj3191
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 1314
Joined: 22 April 03 12:37 am
Location: Sandringham, Vic Garmin Oregon 650

Re: New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Post by gmj3191 » 02 June 15 2:28 pm

I can't really see how that would work as easily as getting the documented ranges from the URLs above, and I won't annoy anybody further by asking how you would restrict a query to gc.com caches and wind up with date ranges containing just under 1,000 caches so you can set up a series of PQs.

User avatar
maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found
Posts: 915
Joined: 04 April 03 6:37 pm
Location: Hoppers Crossing, VIC
Contact:

Re: New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Post by maccamob » 02 June 15 2:38 pm

There's also a GSAK macro, PlacedPQ.gsk, that will generate the date ranges for the caches in your current filter, with a customisable 'buffer' so as not to exceed 1000 per PQ.

User avatar
gmj3191
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found
Posts: 1314
Joined: 22 April 03 12:37 am
Location: Sandringham, Vic Garmin Oregon 650

Re: New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Post by gmj3191 » 02 June 15 3:10 pm

Yes, it's a pity that none of these methods of getting the appropriate date ranges can actually automate the process of generating the PQ.
I've been doing this for about 5 years, and it's amazing how archived caches reduce the efficiency of your PQs over time. It's a big job going through and broadening the date span occasionally so as to reduce the number of PQs, if you're striving for maximum efficiency.

Post Reply