New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
dak's Emu Mob
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 12 December 03 1:49 pm

Goodonya Clyde!
<p>
Here's to a bright future for you and your application.
<p>
I'm sure I speak for many in expressing my appreciation for all the work you've done to get it this far.
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
dak

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 12 December 03 4:10 pm

Here here ... GSAK has quickly been added to my "can't live without" list of caching software! :D

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 12 December 03 4:22 pm

Downloaded and installed - Looks good Clyde.

I see the coords are a bit easier to read now, thanks.

I'll load the pages into the Palm later and see how they look.

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 12 December 03 5:00 pm

Hi Clyde
I have just sent the html index over to my palm with plucker and it looks goods
Thanks
Andrew

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 12 December 03 5:58 pm

I just made the iSilo file for the Palm and copied it over. It looks good Clyde.

I have noticed that the selections on the Generate HTML form in GSAK are not 'sticky' but forgot to mention it until now.

The other thing I keep forgetting is a search function on all or part of a geocache name - something like an edit box on the toolbar and a clear button. Possibly the 'cache description contains' from the search page duplicated on the toolbar for quick access. As an ad-hock search it won't need to be saved.
Maybe you could put it on your list for later.

You have done a great job Clyde, It's a very useful program

zijerfex
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by zijerfex » 12 December 03 7:01 pm

Well done ClydE. Looks great. Thanks also to Riblit and Swampy for their comments on the slow files when viewed on the Palm. I opened the index file up in Explorer and hit the convert button from there as opposed to using the console - amazing difference. I don't really understand why it would be so, but it will certainly make things much easier - now if only isilo supported Mozilla as well as internet explorer, things would be perfect.

ZijerPhil

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

1.01 Beta 1

Post by ClydeE » 16 December 03 10:44 pm

Hi All,

GSAK 1.01 Beta 1 is now ready for download. Changes made since 1.00 are quite substantial, so again if you donÂ’t like trying beta sofware (especially beta 1) I suggest you wait until the final release.

Changes in this version:

1. Split screen display ( a pet project of mine I have been working on for some time)

2. Quick Search - Handy instant search feature at top of screen. The search is optimised for speed and results are instant (after each keystroke). What you key is treated similar to setting a "contains" filter on cache description.

3. Addition of "User Flag" - allows you to update any cache with a user flag (just click in the box). You can then set filters on the flag. This allows you to select/exclude individual caches in your filters

4. Tool button to clear all user flags. Quick way of removing all user flags - rather than having to do one by one mouse clicking.

5. Ability to delete a cache from the database - right mouse click on a cache to see option. You can also stop this cache from being added to the database on future GPX loads (refer help button)

6. The "Notes" icon is now sensitive to the double click. IE you can now position your mouse on any row's note icon and double mouse click. This will then bring up the add/change notes dialog box. A double mouse click anywhere else is treated as before (depends on your settings in configuration)

7. Better interrogation of "placed by" to match your placed by count. You now have 3 different methods for matching your "Placed by" caches. Exact, using wild cards, or gc.com user ID. Refer to the help button on the corresponding section in the config screen.

8. Load of GPX file now has a "Most Recent" box to select files from

9. Hint display on incomplete column information. This is mainly for users with low screen resolution, eg 800 x 600. This feature allows you to shorten your column width yet still be able to see the full information. IE if the information for any cell (cache description is a good example) does not fit in the column width, you can now hover your mouse over that cell to get the full information to show as a hint.

10. HTML screen options are now “stickyÂâ€

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Re: 1.01 Beta 1

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 17 December 03 8:32 am

ClydeE wrote:5. Ability to delete a cache from the database - right mouse click on a cache to see option. You can also stop this cache from being added to the database on future GPX loads (refer help button)
At last! That pesky virtual that I have no intention of ever doing can stop infesting my 'nearest to home' list! :)
ClydeE wrote:12. Export to LOC file format. Sorry, GPX export will have to wait until 1.02 but this option at least gives all users a path to get GSAK information into the GPS. The LOC file export will allow you to take advantages of all the GSAK features (filters, smart name, etc.) then you can import this file into EasyGps for upload to your GPS. I know EasyGps likes the GPX format better, and direct upload to your GPS would be better still – but Rome was not built in a day.
LOC is fine. All I use EasyGPS for these days is a GPS connection engine, as GSAK does everything else!
Export direct to GPS will be nice, but leave it off the top of your to-do list for as long as you like as far as I'm concerned.

Looking even better, ClydE!

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 17 December 03 9:27 am

Looking good Clyde - Love the new placed by sort for the offline pages, it makes the index a lot cleaner.

I did notice the cache image in the new split screen view doesn't appear. It points to 'file:///C:/Program', not it's correct location.

Another request - for those (probably only me) who have the archived caches on the pda - bacause I can- would you add a small image similiar to the small TB image to show in the index, something like a small skull would be ideal.

I tried the help option to find out what the column with the blue tick in the header was for, only to be told the topic does not exist. It's probably the new 'user flag'
Also I can't get the drop down box to appear when I click on the 'split screen button'

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 17 December 03 9:46 am

riblit wrote:Also I can't get the drop down box to appear when I click on the 'split screen button'
By this do you mean the "split screen format" combo box?

(Perhaps a screen dump might help me here)

Have not had any other reports on this (but it is early days yet!) - anyone else with this problem?

dak's Emu Mob

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 17 December 03 10:02 am

Geez! It just keeps getting better and better. I haven't had time to investigate everything yet, but I love the split screen view.
<p>
I'm working on some feedback&#151;I'm waiting on a GPX file. I'll get the feedback on the tips file to you with my first feedback.
<p>
Keep up the great work.
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
dak

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 17 December 03 10:24 am

ClydeE wrote:
By this do you mean the "split screen format" combo box?
Yes.

Also I have a waypoint without a name in the generated OziExplorer waypoint file. The cache name is 50/50. Is this a setting somewhere I have to change?

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 17 December 03 10:24 am

Clyde,

Sorry I didn't get a chance to test the beta when you first asked me, but I've looked at it now and have the following immediate feedback...

- In split screen mode, using the scroll bar in the bottom pane works fine to scroll to the end of the cache description. However if I use the scroll wheel on my mouse, the top pane scrolls - i.e. it moves on to another cache... This is probably a problem with the window focus being held by the top pane.
- The export to Mapsend seems to have stopped working - I am now getting the same message as we were getting when testing the description as name feature a few weeks ago "The file is not a Mapsend file or is corrupt" - any ideas? I don't think this is new to the beta version... I just reverted to v1.00 and I get the same result.

Cheers,
Leek

maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by maccamob » 17 December 03 10:51 am

leek wrote: - In split screen mode, using the scroll bar in the bottom pane works fine to scroll to the end of the cache description. However if I use the scroll wheel on my mouse, the top pane scrolls - i.e. it moves on to another cache.
I have noticed this too.
leek wrote: - The export to Mapsend seems to have stopped working.
Mapsend export still works for me.
riblit wrote:Also I can't get the drop down box to appear when I click on the 'split screen button'
I didn't notice it at first. It should appear below the existing toolbar buttons and to the left of the fast forward and rewind buttons.<p>

Thanks Clyde for the continuing rapid development. GSAK is already the most comprehensive caching app around and just keeps getting better.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 17 December 03 11:19 am

Leek found:
- In split screen mode, using the scroll bar in the bottom pane works fine to scroll to the end of the cache description. However if I use the scroll wheel on my mouse, the top pane scrolls - i.e. it moves on to another cache.
My wheel works in a fashion I like.
If the cursor is over the top pane, then the top pane scrolls from cache to cache. If over the bottom pane - then the cache details scroll until the last line of the details. If I continue to rotate the mouse wheel, the next cache in the list is selected and I can scroll through its details. If I scroll backwards, the previous cache is selected and the pane shows the beginning of the details for that cache. I have my wheel set to scroll one line at a time rather than the default 3.

I found the split screen format combo - Thanks maccamob - It appeared where I wasn't looking.
The description only display has a problem when there is a background image - it is tiled across the background - black text is hard to read on a black background image.
The best fix would be to strip the second body tag

<BODY BACKGROUND="http://www.swag.org.au/geocaching/image ... active.jpg">
and not show images in description only.