New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 01 December 03 8:49 pm

ClydeE wrote:
Ideology have kindly offered me web space. :D

Just need to get FTP access to my area

When I transfer over, hopefully this will no longer be an issue
Three Cheers for George and George........ :)

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Beta 2

Post by ClydeE » 01 December 03 11:16 pm

Hi All,

Beta 2 is now ready for download

Fixes this release:

Fixed bug when right click on cache, select show in ozi, crashes if your international decimal seperator is a comma
Fixed bug when you save a filter, change your date settings, then try to restore that filter causing a crash
Fixed bug in filters if your short date format had the month as MMM
Fixed a whole range of bugs to do with drag and drop, and starting GSAK by double clicking on a GPX file (see riblits post)
Error checking to make sure only one instance of GSAK is running
HTML "Placed by" index is no longer case sensitive
Added option on association form to force GPX file association on start up
Archived caches are now indicated on ofline browser view

Though not realy a bug fix, I have added the option to force GSAK to associate GPX files on start up. This is mainly for current users of EasyGps, which auttomatically associates itself with GPX files without asking you.

Another step closer to a final stable release 1. However, I still encourage everyone to test out all the features – even those that were were working before. Unfortunately, fixing one bug often creates another.

Riblit might like to check that I haved covered every scenario in the drag and drop arena.

I have not converted over the site yet, but the install file is now sitting on geocaching.com.au so there shouldn't be any problems with the download.

Download here http://members.iinet.net.au/~cwe/gsak.htm

Cheers
Clyde

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

GSAK has moved

Post by ClydeE » 03 December 03 12:27 am

GSAK has now fully moved to Geocaching.com.au - Thanks again to Ideology.

The new address is http://gsak.geocaching.com.au

If you log on to the old address you will be re directed here, but better to update your favorites. Assuming GSAK is one of your favorites :wink:

Team Piggy

Thanks toi Clyde.

Post by Team Piggy » 03 December 03 2:07 pm

This thing is great ! Thanks Clyde !
I love the new GUI on this one, seems to do everything you could possibly ever want it to as well !
I have found a small glitch when loading that some wpt's show as larger lettering than others ?
Is this normal ?

Cheers, TP

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Re: Larger Lettering

Post by ClydeE » 03 December 03 2:19 pm

Team Piggy wrote:I have found a small glitch when loading that some wpt's show as larger lettering than others ?
Is this normal ?
Hi TP, or should that be oink oink :lol:

Can't say I have heard of this one before. Anyone else run into this?

I will need more information - are you talking about OziExplorer, Mapsend, what?

A screen dump would also be very handy (just send to my private email address from the link in the GSAK about box)

Cheers
Clyde

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 03 December 03 3:03 pm

Shall do, jpg on its way. It is when in Ozi, everything displays hunky dory, just some of the wpt boxes are HUGE ! :shock:
You cant click on them either.
everything apart from that looks great ! :D

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Re: Thanks toi Clyde.

Post by ClydeE » 03 December 03 3:47 pm

Team Piggy wrote:Is this normal ?Cheers, TP
Normal? No, Certainly not :(

Thanks for the dump.

The problem is caused by some of the "Placed by" names having a comma in them. Ozi just doesn't like this.

I will strip out the comma in "Placed by" names in the final version.

But for now, when you generate an Ozi waypoint file - just add a "comma" to the list of "Problem characters to remove from description"

That will take care of it :)

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 03 December 03 3:55 pm

Haha ! I looked at the strip out problem characters setup, but thought, No it aint broke don't touch it ! Oops, maybe I should have !
Thanks for the rapid reply and repair Clyde !

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Beta3

Post by ClydeE » 03 December 03 7:12 pm

Hi All,

I was going to make this the final release but there seems enough to warrant another beta

Fixes this release:

Fixed crash when trying to create WPT files from LOC imported data
Fixed crash, if database is deleted manually (eg outside GSAK via windows explorer) - Empty database is now
re-created
Fixed bug with commas in “placed by” names when generating OziExplorer waypoints. These waypoints were showing in Ozi in a large type face, and you could not right mouse click on them.
Fixed bug with import of LOC files that caused the "Placed by" name to be empty
Loc files now use the physical file date for the “newer” comparison when updating. (Previously they just used the current date)
GPX files from Roblisa now use the physical file date for “newer” comparison for updating. (Previously they just used the current date)
Removed "debug" button on top right of screen. (Absent minded me forgot to remove it in the last build)

The comparison of “newer” data is not an issue with the GPX files from geocaching.com as they have the date of the update inside the data. However LOC files and the GPX files generated by Roblisa don’t. Therefore it makes more sense to use the physical file date rather than the current date.

Download here http://gsak.geocaching.com.au

Cheers
Clyde

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 03 December 03 7:20 pm

Hmm, i was wondering if that Debug button was meant to be there :P

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 03 December 03 8:27 pm

Clyde Said:
The problem is caused by some of the "Placed by" names having a comma in them. Ozi just doesn't like this.
As much as I like to agree with you Clyde, I'm afraid I can't on this one.

I have one recently placed cache here that exhibits behavour described by the Piggy. I found I could fix it by opening the waypoint list in Ozi, finding the cache, displaying its properties, then removing and replacing the last letter of the name.
To further check this I loaded a waypoint file, saved it, reloaded it to check that the waypoint still displayed incorrectly, modified it as above and then saved to a new file. I ran a diff on both files and found changes around the font size and style area.
Ozi uses fixed length fields with ',' delimiters loading and saving thru ozi just makes the records the same length and the comparision easier.

This is part of the diff file from the comparision:
The top one is the original from GSAK

0, 0, 6,0,17,0.0,2,2,C:Program FilesGSAKgsak.exe/

0, 5, 0,10,17,0.0,2,2,C:Program FilesGSAKgsak.exe
The differences are in the font size and style area of the record.

Ozi handles conmmas in the description by changing them to 0xD1 in the waypoint file. This could be a better way to go.

It looks like you may have a parsing issue to work on Clyde.
The cache that gives problems here has the comma in the 'Description' field, not 'Placed By'

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 03 December 03 11:35 pm

riblit wrote:Clyde Said:
As much as I like to agree with you Clyde, I'm afraid I can't on this one.
Agree or not, you would have saved me a lot of time if your analysis had been for the current beta.

When you are describing problems, please make sure it is the current beta you are referring to, otherwise it often ends up in a wild goose chase.

You will find the current Beta does NOT exhibit this problem on ANY cache, regardless where a comma is.

I do however, thank you for picking up the fact that Ozi converts commas
to 0xD1. This will enable me to preserve the commas, rather than discarding them.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 03 December 03 11:57 pm

Clyde Said:
Agree or not, you would have saved me a lot of time if your analysis had been for the current beta
At the time I did the analysis it was the current beta.... It looks like you posted a new release before I copied the info to the forum.

sorry - I should have read the preceeding post before adding my findings.

dak's Emu Mob
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

GSAK Hangs at Startup

Post by dak's Emu Mob » 04 December 03 7:15 am

I just downloaded GSAK 1.00 Beta3. The install went through without a problem, but it hangs when I try to run it.
<p>
I double-click on the icon that was created on the desktop; a banner is displayed with an hour glass mouse pointer; and that's it. :(
<p>
I'm running an AMD Athlon with 512MB RAM, an AGP NVIDIA graphics card, and 8GB free disk space.
<p>
I haven't tried to uninstall and reinstall yet. I'll try that and report back if it fixes the problem.
<p>
By the way, why the Danish flag icon?
<p>
Cheers,
<p>
dak

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Re: GSAK Hangs at Startup

Post by ClydeE » 04 December 03 10:31 am

dak's Emu Mob wrote:I just downloaded GSAK 1.00 Beta3. The install went through without a problem, but it hangs when I try to run it.
Bummer, this one is a first :( Without any crashing error message, this could be hard to find.

Do you have another computer you can install on just to confirm the copy you downloaded is not corrupt?

Anyone else with this problem?

Any ideas?

As for the flag, thought it looked a bit strange, but the icon library I use has this described as the Swiss flag

Anyone else got a real Swiss flag ico file they can send me

Thanks
Clyde