New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 12 July 05 9:27 am

I have noticed at times that the waypoints stored in GSAK don't match up completely with those on the GC.com website. Out by .001 regularly.

My Dad (robtas) mentioned it a while ago and others on my team for the Dubbo Gold Rush found it as well.

Is this a known bug?

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 12 July 05 10:12 am

Cached wrote:I have noticed at times that the waypoints stored in GSAK don't match up completely with those on the GC.com website. Out by .001 regularly.

My Dad (robtas) mentioned it a while ago and others on my team for the Dubbo Gold Rush found it as well.

Is this a known bug?
Not a bug, but a common rounding issue. GPX files fed into GSAK provide the Lat and Lon in decimal Degrees, but most users like to diplay the information in decimal minutes (like the HTML display at Groundspeak) Some of the formats do not have enough precision to prevent these rounding issues. Mind you, .001 is not enough to make much difference in consumer grade GPSrs anyway (That is, you already have a margin of error in the GPSr)

So, it depends on what format (Tools=>Options=>Display)

This can also happen if you make the round trip through another program (like GPSBabel for example) as conversion from and to different programs will often give you differenences because of this rounding, even when using the same format

However, if the GPX files are directly from Groundspeak and you have put them into GSAK without going through any other program I would expect GSAK to show the exact same coordinates as gc.com. If this is not the case, could you please email me the original GPX file citing examples of some caches that have this rounding difference so I can track down why this is so.
Last edited by ClydeE on 12 July 05 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cached

Post by Cached » 12 July 05 10:21 am

Thanks -makes sense now.

The Coffee's
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by The Coffee's » 21 July 05 10:50 pm

The best thing I have done is register GSAK, however I was wondering about to following?.
It is so good I would like to run it on a palm pilot, I know about using plucker but GSAK offers more. Is it possible or if not will it be possible?. The next question will it load onto a Windows CE notebook.?
The reason is I have a very large Laptop Compaq EVO and I am selling it to go more compact. I am trying to decide however exactly what I am going to buy and use, but all I need is a serial port, Discover Aus, and GSAK. Any suggestions welcome. Mr.Coffee

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 22 July 05 9:48 am

Mr.Coffee and the Clan wrote:It is so good I would like to run it on a palm pilot, I know about using plucker but GSAK offers more. Is it possible or if not will it be possible?. The next question will it load onto a Windows CE notebook.?
It runs on Windows only, i.e. Windows 95/98/ME/XP/2000/2003. It won't run on a Palm Pilot or on a Windows Mobile 2003 (aka Windows CE) PDA. All notebooks you have should be capable of running it (unless its a MAC or you've replaced the O/S with Linux or something else)

The Ginger Loon
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by The Ginger Loon » 17 August 05 1:28 am

Hi ClydeE,

I'd like to register GSAK and pay for it in Australian Pesos. Could you send me some direct deposit info please?

Regards,
The Ginger Loon from teamCHAOS

Biggles Bear
2200 or more geocaches found

Post by Biggles Bear » 20 August 05 12:02 pm

I have noticed that after the one of the last couple of upgrades (can't remember which one), that if I load new .GPX files into GSAK which effect the current active filter, that once loading is complete the results of the filter are all over the show (this used not to be the case), and you need to select a new filter and then come back to the previous filter, to get a sensible result.

In the words of a famous TV scientist; "Why is this so?", and can it be fixed?

maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by maccamob » 20 August 05 7:55 pm

Sounds like the problem I was having. Turned out to be because the filter had been left on overnight, so the Dates tab became active after midnight (the Dates tab turns red and all the date names turn yellow) and the filter removed any caches with 'today' dates or later anywhere, such as Events. Re-running the filter resets all the dates back to 'today' thereby deactivating dates when evaluating the filter (unless your filter includes date criteria). You can prove this by running the filter now, noting the number of caches, then changing all the dates to yesterday and see how the number changes. It's a design feature, so you just have to live with it if that's the problem.

Biggles Bear

Post by Biggles Bear » 23 August 05 10:31 am

Sounds different to your problem Maccamob, it only occurs when GPX files are loaded that effect the current active filter. If GPX files are loaded that do not effect any of the caches in the active filter, no problem. It has only started happening about two or three upgrades ago (can't remember exactly when).
<P>
I figured someone else would have noticed and already raised the issue :roll:
<P>
I guess that all that needs to happen is that at the end of the GPX upload cycle the filter needs to be re-loaded by GSAK, (but then I'm not a "Doctor" so what would I know)

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 23 August 05 10:47 am

Biggles Bear wrote:Sounds different to your problem Maccamob, it only occurs when GPX files are loaded that effect the current active filter. If GPX files are loaded that do not effect any of the caches in the active filter, no problem. It has only started happening about two or three upgrades ago (can't remember exactly when).
<P>
I figured someone else would have noticed and already raised the issue :roll:
<P>
I guess that all that needs to happen is that at the end of the GPX upload cycle the filter needs to be re-loaded by GSAK, (but then I'm not a "Doctor" so what would I know)
Hmm, that is exactly what GSAK does do.

What version are you running (Help=>About, latest is 6.0.1)

After the loading of a GPX file, GSAK then re runs your current filter. So perhaps if you could explain in more detail what exactly is the problem.

Biggles Bear

Post by Biggles Bear » 23 August 05 3:25 pm

Yes Version 6.0.1
<P>
After loading a GPX file that effects data shown in the current filter, the data that is shown by that filter once the process is complete is only a small fraction of what should be displayed. I have been unable to determine the common factor. This does not happen when GPX files are loaded that do not contain data which is being displayed by the current filter.

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 23 August 05 8:44 pm

Biggles Bear wrote:Yes Version 6.0.1
<P>
After loading a GPX file that effects data shown in the current filter, the data that is shown by that filter once the process is complete is only a small fraction of what should be displayed. I have been unable to determine the common factor. This does not happen when GPX files are loaded that do not contain data which is being displayed by the current filter.
I assume you have checked your filter to see there is no matching criteria that would explain this?. For example, does your filter have a date selection and when loading a GPX file many dates change so you no longer have all the caches shown in the filter after GPX load

I do not have any other reports of this and I can't replicate this problem.

So that I might be able to replicate your issue and track it down could you please:

1. Do a File=>Backup and select ONLY the database in question (before a load of the problem GPX) and make sure you tick the "settings" box
2. Email me the generated zip file together with the GPX file
3. In the body of the email explain the exact steps you are taking to load the file, together with an example of at least one cache that is now not in the filter but should be. Please include the name of the filter that you are running at the time of the GPX load.

Biggles Bear

Post by Biggles Bear » 23 August 05 10:37 pm

On it's way :)

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 24 August 05 11:56 am

Biggles Bear wrote:On it's way :)
Hmm, have you sent it yet?

Is it coming by Shanks's pony, as I have not received yet.

Biggles Bear

Post by Biggles Bear » 24 August 05 6:42 pm

Sorry got stuck in my mail box will try again this evening when I get a chance :oops: