New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Re: New Program - GSAK - Badgegen bug?

Post by gmj3191 » 06 March 12 12:15 am

quiet1_au wrote:I've been using GSAK for some time now and the Badgegen macro has been great (but addictive trying to level up on those badges ;-) )
With the last update though, I've discovered that for some reason that my Badgegen-erated profile page isn't being uploaded any more, even though it calls the GenUploadStats macro is called as it used to. Running GUS manual does upload correctly though. I've tried removing and re-adding running the GUS macro in Badgegen, uploading all the macros, etc - nothing has helped as yet. Has anyone else noticed this?
For the BadgeGen macro to upload properly, it has to store it's output in a notes folder that gets picked up by the FindStatGen3 macro.

Have you changed anything, like migrated to GSAK8, changed from FindStatGen4 beta to FindStatGen3 or something else which might make a subtle change to folder names?

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Re: New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Post by Zalgariath » 06 March 12 8:29 am

Badgegen hasnt been working properly for me since I upgraded to GSAK V8 either :'(

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 06 March 12 9:16 am

Why don't you guys contact the author directly (via the GSAK forum)?

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 06 March 12 9:23 am

Hasnt bothered me enough to fix it yet :P

The Tardis Trio
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found
Twitter: dpeters101

Post by The Tardis Trio » 06 March 12 9:03 pm

quiet1_au wrote:I've just noticed too that I have logs from states of Australia I've never been too - presumably coming from Leapfrogs/Gegnomes.
The easiest way to manage movables in your GSAK database, is to add corrected coordinates when you find a movable (which would be the same co-ordinates that the cache currently has).

That way when you next update the caches in GSAK, it will update movable caches to their new co-ordinates, but BadgeGen and FindStatsGen etc will use the corrected co-ordinates (which is where you found them).

quiet1_au

Post by quiet1_au » 06 March 12 10:30 pm

The Tardis Trio wrote:
quiet1_au wrote:I've just noticed too that I have logs from states of Australia I've never been too - presumably coming from Leapfrogs/Gegnomes.
The easiest way to manage movables in your GSAK database, is to add corrected coordinates when you find a movable (which would be the same co-ordinates that the cache currently has).

That way when you next update the caches in GSAK, it will update movable caches to their new co-ordinates, but BadgeGen and FindStatsGen etc will use the corrected co-ordinates (which is where you found them).
Doh! - I'd just finished reentering the coords in the regular spot for them all after an careless update logs not realising what that would do... The CC method makes sense, I'll give that a go - cheers! :)

:-$

quiet1_au

Post by quiet1_au » 07 March 12 5:44 am

I suppose that means that one should also correct the coordinates of Locationless caches (normally set to N0° 00.000 E0° 00.000 and thus giving you the diamond "head in the ground" badge) too?... :cry:

blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 25 March 12 4:47 pm

Sorry in advance, I'm sure this is really obvious but I'm blind. I use the "get data via email" menu to load my PQs each week to my computer and it is sooooo easy.

But I now also have a small laptop that I take away and I want to use the same PQs in the same email account to keep my laptop updated as well. But when I say "get data via email", nothing happens becasue obviously gsak somehow knows I've extracted the gpx files from the emails once already. Even though it's on my other computer.

I have tried marking the email as unread inbetween but still nothing happens.

Am I doing someting silly? Is it possible to use the same emails to upload to gsak on 2 different computers? Any help out there or are you all using iphones and don't care any more! :)

ian-and-penny

Post by ian-and-penny » 25 March 12 7:49 pm

1. Why don't you do a backup from one pc and restore it on the other. That way the data you have will be synchronised across both PC's

2. Questions like this are best asked in GSAK's own forum

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 25 March 12 10:16 pm

Blossom- open GSAK on your main computer, go File then Backup. A pop up window appears. Under GSAK backup file to create click on the yellow folder and choose a destination folder ( a usb stick preferably), give the file a name as well. Then click on backup.

Your databases have now been saved onto your memory stick.

Open GSAK on your laptop, insert memory stick, go File then Restore. A popup screen appears. Under GSAK backup file to restore, open the yellow folder and direct yourself to the file stored on your memory stick (USB). Click retore.

All your caches should now be in your new GSAK on your laptop. Exactly the same as on the main computer.

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 26 March 12 8:08 am

Thanks tronador :D Sounds pretty easy and foolproof

quiet1_au

Post by quiet1_au » 26 March 12 9:39 pm

I've used the backup/restore trick to get GSAK running on my Macbook - it runs under WINE albeit with corrupted button icons.

I've been having some trouble with the latest version of Badgegen and GSAK - it started not picking up my logs for GCA caches and occasionally "lost" the cache entry completely. I just did and database repair - now it seems BadgeGen doesn't pick up any of my GCA find logs... If you're thinking of updating to the very latest versions - you might want to hold off for a bit....

quiet1_au

Post by quiet1_au » 30 March 12 9:24 am

quiet1_au wrote:I've used the backup/restore trick to get GSAK running on my Macbook - it runs under WINE albeit with corrupted button icons.

I've been having some trouble with the latest version of Badgegen and GSAK - it started not picking up my logs for GCA caches and occasionally "lost" the cache entry completely. I just did and database repair - now it seems BadgeGen doesn't pick up any of my GCA find logs... If you're thinking of updating to the very latest versions - you might want to hold off for a bit....
BadgeGen problem fixed! It seems the default method of identifying log/hides had changed after the upgrade on my system to User ID number which only works with GC logs. Simply changing the setting to exactly match my cacher name (which is identical on both GC and GCA sites) fixed the problem and its working happily once again :-)

quiet1_au

Post by quiet1_au » 30 March 12 9:26 am

blossom* wrote:Thanks tronador :D Sounds pretty easy and foolproof
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Douglas Adams ;-)

colleda

Post by colleda » 03 April 12 1:31 pm

I have just bought a Garmin Etrex 10. Can somebody point me where to go to find out how to instal GSAK step-by-step in plain language?