New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 15 December 04 3:40 pm

Just wondering if there was a way to stop execution of html (or at least specific bits such as sound) while online. I don't mind it displaying the html but at least one cache here has a quite loud dound file associated with it (annoying if I open it at work).

The obvious solution is to go find the thing so it drops off the list of course :lol:

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 15 December 04 3:44 pm

richary wrote:I don't mind it displaying the html but at least one cache here has a quite loud dound file associated with it (annoying if I open it at work).
<p>

Cache name?
<p>
Andrew

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 15 December 04 3:45 pm

One workaround is to disable sounds in your web browser. :)

Other than that, maybe you could edit a GPX file that doesn't have the sound and import it, then I think (?) you can stop a cache from being updated in GSAK?

Nice work Clyde, I like the improvements, I'll need a while to digest them all. The toolbar/searchbar editing is a bit tricky, puts a little too much onus on the accuracy of the user.

- R

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 15 December 04 3:47 pm

richary wrote:Just wondering if there was a way to stop execution of html (or at least specific bits such as sound) while online. I don't mind it displaying the html but at least one cache here has a quite loud dound file associated with it (annoying if I open it at work).

The obvious solution is to go find the thing so it drops off the list of course :lol:
The split screen HTML display is rendered by calls to Internet Explorer, so there is probably a setting in IE to turn sound off or ignore sound files.

The other solution is to just turn the split screen display off.

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 15 December 04 4:43 pm

Mind Socket wrote: Nice work Clyde, I like the improvements, I'll need a while to digest them all. The toolbar/searchbar editing is a bit tricky, puts a little too much onus on the accuracy of the user.
- R
Yep, I concede that. However, the fancy tool bar utility that did all the cool stuff cost $400 US, so a bit hard to justify for just this one feature when I am only charging $20 for the program

I therefore had to write the tool bar customize feature myself from scratch. Ok, not as fancy as the ones in Microsoft, but I like to think it is a whole lot better than having none at all.

Also if you take a look at the help when you call up the "customize tool buttons" dialog (see section 2) I think you will find it less "tricky".

Besides, I did reason that the average user would not be spending a whole lot of time here - usually just a once off set up thing.
Last edited by ClydeE on 15 December 04 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 15 December 04 4:44 pm

Agreed, no big deal, just a little feedback for ya. :) Mine are all set up now.

- R

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 18 December 04 6:06 pm

ClydeE wrote:Please take a backup of just this one database (File=>Backup) and be sure to tick the "settings" box as well. Now FTP this and the GPX file you are loading to my debug area so I can interrogate and see what is going on.
<p>
Have now rebuilt the database and installed the latest incarnation, but still having problems with logs not showing up etc. When I get the latest pocket query from gc.com tomorrow will upload as requested for you to have a look at it.
<p>
Andrew

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 19 December 04 1:39 pm

Aushiker wrote:When I get the latest pocket query from gc.com tomorrow will upload as requested for you to have a look at it.
<p>
Andrew
<p>
Files uploaded as requested ... Aushiker*.* refers.
<p>
Thanks
<br>Andrew

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 19 December 04 3:01 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Aushiker wrote:When I get the latest pocket query from gc.com tomorrow will upload as requested for you to have a look at it.

Andrew
Files uploaded as requested ... Aushiker*.* refers.
Thanks
Andrew
Take a look at the dialog when you load in the GPX file.

The problem is you have ticked the box "and only update user flag if matched"

Please read the help file, but basically this means that if the waypoint already exists in the database then ONLY the user flag will be updated - nothing else. You would only do this when you want to know which waypoints in a GPX file already existed in your database.

Just uncheck this box and all should work fine.

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 19 December 04 3:09 pm

ClydeE wrote: The problem is you have ticked the box "and only update user flag if matched"
Ahh, okay thanks. Fixed.

Please read the help file, but basically this means that if the waypoint already exists in the database then ONLY the user flag will be updated - nothing else. You would only do this when you want to know which waypoints in a GPX file already existed in your database.[/quote]
<p>
I did, but being my usually quick self, I read the first sentence, rather than the whole lot :oops:.
<P>
Thanks for helping.
<p>
Andrew

Richary

Post by Richary » 20 December 04 10:32 pm

ClydeE wrote:
richary wrote:The obvious solution is to go find the thing so it drops off the list of course :lol:
The split screen HTML display is rendered by calls to Internet Explorer, so there is probably a setting in IE to turn sound off or ignore sound files.

The other solution is to just turn the split screen display off.
Thanks, don't mind sound normally but this one cache (Lost In Space) comes up load. Been away for a few days so haven't been answering.

Cheers

Big Red Expeditions
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Big Red Expeditions » 21 December 04 12:33 pm

Is there a way for GSAK to show that a cache has been *Temporarlily Disabled*? Is this information present in GPX files? It's very frustrating to head off to find a set of caches in an area, only to find some of them have been *Temporarily Disabled*

My standard method for a day's caching will be to plan a route using Ozi, and then print out a condensed HTML listing from GSAK of the ones I'm interested in. I think the default colour for an Archived is pink, Found is yellow. Can we set *Temporarily Disabled* to be red for example?

Can GSAK keep track of Not Found logs also. I think it would be handy to be able to export WPT's for all of your nemesis caches to plot them on a map for example. Or, if taking out the kids, it would be nice to plot the caches that haven't been sought yet without the ones that have been tried and failed.

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 21 December 04 12:49 pm

Big Red Expeditions wrote:Is there a way for GSAK to show that a cache has been *Temporarlily Disabled*? Is this information present in GPX files? It's very frustrating to head off to find a set of caches in an area, only to find some of them have been *Temporarily Disabled*

My standard method for a day's caching will be to plan a route using Ozi, and then print out a condensed HTML listing from GSAK of the ones I'm interested in. I think the default colour for an Archived is pink, Found is yellow. Can we set *Temporarily Disabled* to be red for example?

Can GSAK keep track of Not Found logs also. I think it would be handy to be able to export WPT's for all of your nemesis caches to plot them on a map for example. Or, if taking out the kids, it would be nice to plot the caches that haven't been sought yet without the ones that have been tried and failed.
1. Yes, you can filter out just the "Temporarily Disabled" caches. Refert to the "other" tab in the filters.

2. Currently both archived and "Temporarily Disabled" are shown in the same colour (you can change this colour via Tools=>Options=>General) as they both mean "the cache is unavailable". However if you really need the granular distinction between the two you can use the "other" tab in the filter to separate them.

3. Yes, GSAK supports DNF logs and you can export just those caches you have "DNF". Again have a look at the "other" tab to set a filter. Also, if you would like to visually see your DNF's you can add this column (as well as the date of the DNF) to your current view (Tools=>Options=Display)

Big Red Expeditions
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Big Red Expeditions » 24 December 04 7:26 pm

Thanks, Clyde. I'll be tinkering with my options first minute I get to myself. Merry Christmas!!

Glen Gitsham

BaldEd
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by BaldEd » 06 January 05 8:57 pm

My GSAK only seems to mark out the cache code column in red for caches that are "Unavailable". If a cache has been "Archived" the cache code column still appears in white (for an unfound cache). This has resulted in some unnecessary travel to an archived cache location. I am sure that GSAK is capable of automatically changing the colour on receipt of the latest .gpx file where caches have been archived recently. It is probably because I have not got the program set up properly. How can I set it up so that BOTH "Unavailable" and "Archived" caches appear in red?