New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Re: New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 04 June 15 8:57 am

gmj3191 wrote:Yes, it's a pity that none of these methods of getting the appropriate date ranges can actually automate the process of generating the PQ.
I've been doing this for about 5 years, and it's amazing how archived caches reduce the efficiency of your PQs over time. It's a big job going through and broadening the date span occasionally so as to reduce the number of PQs, if you're striving for maximum efficiency.
Amen! I have been harping on to HQ about this for some time. I thought I was the only one getting annoyed at this. Last weekend I updated all the PQ's for all states across my three accounts and it took ages. I don't think this interface has changed any in the last 9 years.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 04 June 15 9:15 am

It would be a bit naughty but this is a classic opportunity for a little screen scraper utility. It could read a set of parameters covering the common search fields, then work down a list of date ranges to generate the PQs.

Big Matt and Shell
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 04 June 15 11:35 am

I wouldn't even think a screen scraper would be needed. There are sites like Project GC that actually use the API to calculate the information accurately. project-gc.com/Tools/PQSplit

If someone is good with scripts I'm sure they could write something that takes this and updates their PQ ranges.

spatialriq
5500 or more caches found

Post by spatialriq » 04 June 15 3:21 pm

Is there anywhere on this site or somewhere like dropbox where we could 'dump' the latest .gpx files downloaded from GC that have each State or the whole of Australia's current geocaches? Seems like a lot of doubling up of queries are going on. :idea:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 June 15 3:49 pm

spatialriq wrote:Is there anywhere on this site or somewhere like dropbox where we could 'dump' the latest .gpx files downloaded from GC that have each State or the whole of Australia's current geocaches? Seems like a lot of doubling up of queries are going on. :idea:
Hell no. That's explicitly against Groundspeaks Terms of Service. You do not want to do this. Or even talk about it.

spatialriq

Post by spatialriq » 04 June 15 7:27 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
spatialriq wrote:Is there anywhere on this site or somewhere like dropbox where we could 'dump' the latest .gpx files downloaded from GC that have each State or the whole of Australia's current geocaches? Seems like a lot of doubling up of queries are going on. :idea:
Hell no. That's explicitly against Groundspeaks Terms of Service. You do not want to do this. Or even talk about it.
Ah ... well you learn something new every day :lol:

Pity ... seemed like a logical idea to me. :roll:

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 04 June 15 7:37 pm

spatialriq wrote: Ah ... well you learn something new every day :lol:

Pity ... seemed like a logical idea to me. :roll:
Logic and commercial interests don't always go hand-in-hand. Others have tried, and been shut down.

tronador

Post by tronador » 22 January 16 10:08 pm

Has anyone used the CacheRoute3 macro that creates an optimized driving route between caches. It also has a Tom tom itinery function at he bottom. How do I get that itinery into my Tom Tom ? http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtop ... t&p=192427

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 30 January 16 3:50 pm

I've been running a macro for some years now (developed by a member of this forum & it has been wonderful) however I now get an error MemDebug & despite checking the GSAK forum & doing what they suggest, it won't go away. That aside, the macro is on an old laptop running Vista & the laptop is very slow.

I have GSAK on a newer laptop & was wondering is there a macro/s that will get the GPX files from Groundspeak & the queries from GCA & upload them to my laptop?

I've gone back to 2012 in this forum without success. I also checked the GSAK forum & found Get_1000_Waypoint_GPX.gsk but it was last updated in 2011. Over the last couple of days I've reverted to manually updating GSAK. I have GSAK version 7.7.4. I realize that Version 8 can apparently overcome this bug but I don't know whether I'll have the problem running a different, GSAK community developed macro on my newer Windows 7 laptop. Have no intention of updating to Win 10.

Also how would I identify Archived caches? The macro did this for me but never really understood how.

Sorry tronador I have a Magellan so can't help you.

tronador

Post by tronador » 30 January 16 3:57 pm

GSAK can download your pocket queries from grounspeak. Just click on the geocaching.com tab and then click on download pocket queries. The api retrieves them and you can select which ones you want to download. With GCA I just go to file get pocket queries by email. I setit ip using Gmail and the gca pocketcqueries are imported straight into gsak.

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 30 January 16 5:14 pm

Righteo I'll give that a try later in the evening. Thanks.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 30 January 16 10:03 pm

There's a GSAK macro called loadgcaqueries.gsk which I use to list my queries at GCA select and import into GSAK there and then.

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 30 January 16 11:13 pm

Thanks C@W - I'll have a look at that as well.

tronador

Post by tronador » 26 June 16 8:33 pm

For the last few days Im getting an error message when trying to connect and get data via email. It says error connectiing to SSL (411), I have not changed any settings and have not installed anything new. I connect to my gmail account ato download my GCA pocket queries.
Any one else had a problem or could suggest what is happening?

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 26 June 16 8:45 pm

I've been having trouble with the google map not loading but havent seen your issue Tron