New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 17 December 03 6:14 pm

riblit wrote: The problem is lack of string delimiters around the URL in the image tag for the cache icon.
I picked this up when I first started building 1.01, and the new cache.htm template DOES have delimiters.

When you installed 1.01 Beta 1 the new version of cache.htm should have overwritten your old one. The installation only updates files if they are newer, so perhaps you have updated this file and changed the date/time stamp. (or possibly changed it to read only?)

Anyway, I would delete the file cache.htm in the install folder of GSAK and run the installation again. You should then have cache.htm with the correct version and all should be well.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 17 December 03 6:29 pm

Clydee wrote:
The installation only updates files if they are newer
That's a trap. I changed my template 2 hours and 32 mins after you generated the template in the beta.

Does your installer have the option of warning when a file on the target computer is newer than the one being installed, with an option to overwrite?

It's fixed now.

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 17 December 03 6:42 pm

riblit wrote:That's a trap. I changed my template 2 hours and 32 mins after you generated the template in the beta.

Does your installer have the option of warning when a file on the target computer is newer than the one being installed, with an option to overwrite?
As I haven’t yet included user updateable templates I didn't envisage anyone changing this file just yet. I should have known power users would make a mockery of this assumption.

I will see what options are available in the installer but I must admit you are the only one so far that has fallen into this "trap"

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 17 December 03 6:58 pm

ClydeE Wrote:
I will see what options are available in the installer but I must admit you are the only one so far that has fallen into this "trap"
So I'm adventurous...

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Beta 2

Post by ClydeE » 18 December 03 10:06 pm

Hi All

Beta 2 is now ready.

Just a minor update to address a few problems and add a couple of extra features

Fixed obscure problem with "smart name" generation that resulted in a blank name being created
Fixed broken links in help file
Distance & bearing is now automatically calculated for new caches added to the database (there must be a center point set at the time)
Minor help file changes
Added archive icon to HTML indexes
Added link to "nearest caches" in the PDA HTML format
New zip control, as old one was causing random (but rare) crashes.
Option on GPX/LOC open to interrogate the logs for extra “foundÂâ€

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 18 December 03 10:45 pm

Clyde,

Just a small point, but the maximum number of characters for the waypoint name for Mapsend generation seems to have become non-sticky again and keeps reverting to 6 every time I start up the program.

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Beta 3

Post by ClydeE » 19 December 03 12:22 am

Woops.

One of the previous changes broke the GPX load code. :(

Hopefully Beta 3 fixes that. (also fixes the non sticky max chars in MapSend)

http://gsak.geocaching.com.au

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Beta 4

Post by ClydeE » 20 December 03 12:41 pm

Beta 4 is now ready

Changes this version:

Webcam caches
For some reason the GPX file from gc.com does not show this type of cache as a found, even though you have logged it as per their guidelines.
GSAK now handles these caches better. The correct camera icon is shown in the logs and your find will be counted if you have the “also interrogate logs for found cachesÂâ€

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Archived Caches

Post by ClydeE » 21 December 03 11:23 am

I notice there have been quite a few caches archived of late. (I guess owing to the recent discussions regarding gc.com guidelines).

This is not the correct forum for discussion on this; however I can provide you with a tip on how to best handle these caches with GSAK

Load a recent GPX file
Click on the “Last UpdateÂâ€

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 21 December 03 11:57 am

ClydeE,
Version 1.01 Beta 4.

I have 2 TBs showing on archived caches. Possibly a result of the TBs going and the caches being archived before I received the next GPX file.

Is there a way of manually removing the TBs from the caches without deleting the cache info and logs?

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 21 December 03 12:07 pm

riblit wrote:Is there a way of manually removing the TBs from the caches without deleting the cache info and logs?
Currently with GSAK - No. I will have a look at this for next version.

However you can get around this by manually editing the original GPX file that had these caches, and removing the TBs. Then reload with the "Always" update option selected. You would also need to re-load your latest GPX file to get everything back up to date.

Not a pretty solution, but shouldn't be a problem for a power user of your talents.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 21 December 03 12:40 pm

ClydE wrote:
Not a pretty solution, but shouldn't be a problem for a power user of your talents
True , but then I don't archive every GPX file I download...

I would have used dbfutils, however my temporary key has expired..

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 21 December 03 2:53 pm

riblit wrote: I would have used dbfutils, however my temporary key has expired..
I'll knock up a quick and dirty "utility" program that will give you full access to ANY data in the GSAK dbf files - use at your own risk.

At this stage I will just send via email on request. I can always put on the web site later if there is sufficient demand.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 21 December 03 3:46 pm

l knock up a quick and dirty "utility" program
Sounds good.. I'll have one please..

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Beta 5

Post by ClydeE » 22 December 03 7:23 pm

Beta 5 is now ready

I only need to mention the word final and the bugs come out of the woodwork.

Changes this version:

Fixed bug in load of GPX file created from EasyGPS. GPX files from gc.com are by far the better source of data for GSAK – Only use GPX files output from EasyGPS if you have no other source. (They don’t contain much information and are of very limited use to GSAK)

Fixed bug that caused GSAK to crash if “ (Double quote) was use in the quick search or filter

Fixed bug that caused GSAK to crash when invoked from OziExplorer and you selected “online” for the OziExplorer open file attachment option.

Fixed bug that allows you to enter numbers other that those in the drop down box for difficulty and terrain (filter screen).

Fixed bug that shows incorrect count totals after setting a centre point or clicking on home button. (Occurs only when a filter is set)

Fixed “quirk” that allowed non-numeric data to be entered when setting a distance filter. Previously the non-numeric data would just be stripped out – now you also get an error message.

Fixed “quirk” in sorting of travel bug, user flag, and notes column. When you click on the heading of one of these columns, the records are now sorted so it brings these icons to the top of the screen FIRST. Previously, the first click would sort these records to the bottom of the file and you would then need another click to reverse the sort so they came to the top of the screen.

Not a bug, but added the use of the “Escape” key to cancel a filter. This is really just a taste of things to come. For those that like to use the keyboard rather than the mouse, version 1.02 will see a whole lot more keyboard shortcuts.

Minor changes to the Interface

Minor changes to the help file

Download here http://gsak.geocaching.com.au

Cheers
Clyde