New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Trigg-A-Nomics

Re: New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 13 September 10 1:31 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Okey dokey boys and girls.
No more discussion about tools that breach the TOU at GC.
Thanks.
Sorry. :oops:

winterdragon
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by winterdragon » 13 September 10 2:11 pm

There's been some discussion on the GSAK forums about enhancing it to support automatic download of PQs larger than 500 caches. Aparently GS have made promising noises about supporting this, but not actually acted yet.

For example, see this thread - http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=16470 (but be careful, as it may mention another tool for downloading queries :-# ).

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 01 October 10 11:18 pm

Ok I'm now getting very frustrated with the Polygon tool on GSAK. I've used this before to get caches along a set route but now when I try and do the same thing it tells me there are no way points in the file.
What is going wrong???
This is what I've done:
1.I open GSAK and click on tool and go to polygon tool, which opens up the browser and map
2.I select polygon and plot my route, the middle section is all purple.
3. After creating the polygon,I select gpx and click the little button which displays various lat/lon
4. I copy and paste to notepad and save it as a gpx file on my desktop
5. I open GSAK click on the filter and select the polygon arc tool and select the given file which is saved to my desktop, i choose the general tab and select filter out caches I've found.
I select go and then i get a message saying there are no way points in the file. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I know you may think well you've found them all but that is not true. There are caches along the route that I have not found.
What am I doing wrong this time. I've tried using the default data base , an older data base of the same route and also a new data base and i still get nothing.

tronador

Post by tronador » 01 October 10 11:48 pm

tronador wrote:Ok I'm now getting very frustrated with the Polygon tool on GSAK. I've used this before to get caches along a set route but now when I try and do the same thing it tells me there are no way points in the file.
What is going wrong???
This is what I've done:
1.I open GSAK and click on tool and go to polygon tool, which opens up the browser and map
2.I select polygon and plot my route, the middle section is all purple.
3. After creating the polygon,I select gpx and click the little button which displays various lat/lon
4. I copy and paste to notepad and save it as a gpx file on my desktop
5. I open GSAK click on the filter and select the polygon arc tool and select the given file which is saved to my desktop, i choose the general tab and select filter out caches I've found.
I select go and then i get a message saying there are no way points in the file. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I know you may think well you've found them all but that is not true. There are caches along the route that I have not found.
What am I doing wrong this time. I've tried using the default data base , an older data base of the same route and also a new data base and i still get nothing.
Doesn't matter... I solved it... I think.... until I ](*,) #-o #-o have to do it again!!!

Trigg-A-Nomics

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 02 October 10 6:53 pm

I also had some frustrations with the polygon filters. It turns out that if you've got non-standard characters in the path to your GSAK directory (like an ampersand) then GPSBabel barfs and you get no results. :stabby

I moved my GSAK install from C:\My Documents\Sturm&Drang\GSAK to C:\GSAK and it works hunky dory!

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 02 October 10 8:55 pm

I normally leave the web page set to CSV output, then once I've closed the polygon, simply copy and paste all the coordinates into the GSAK filter window, select polygon as filter type, and it should all work.

Edit: As I'm not very good at explaining, I've put a couple of screen caps Here.

Renroc
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Renroc » 21 January 11 3:39 pm

OK I have gsak and have uploaded the my finds file and it has generated the stats. What do I do with it now and how do I get this file to show up on my profile?

Also I have 3 different sets of waypoints in my GPS...
1 Local Schools which I visit in my paid job and family members locations etc (personal junk)
2 Waypoints of spots I visited in UK during a trip
3 Geocaching waypoints.

I have a garmin nuvi 500 and for the second time it is telling me I have too many gpx files and to delete some. How can I do that but still have them available if I need to? Have heard that you can split the db and upload only those you want

Is there a help site with a manual for this program?? At this stage I have not registered as I can't work out if I am actually going to use it very much.

tronador

Post by tronador » 21 January 11 4:50 pm

Renroc wrote:OK I have gsak and have uploaded the my finds file and it has generated the stats. What do I do with it now and how do I get this file to show up on my profile?

Also I have 3 different sets of waypoints in my GPS...
1 Local Schools which I visit in my paid job and family members locations etc (personal junk)
2 Waypoints of spots I visited in UK during a trip
3 Geocaching waypoints.

I have a garmin nuvi 500 and for the second time it is telling me I have too many gpx files and to delete some. How can I do that but still have them available if I need to? Have heard that you can split the db and upload only those you want

Is there a help site with a manual for this program?? At this stage I have not registered as I can't work out if I am actually going to use it very much.
You could create 3 different data bases for your 3 different sets of waypoints.
1.In GSAK- go to Database and click on New.
2. Give the data base a name.
3. When you've created the relevant data bases then click on GPS and receive waypoints from GPS.
You may have to do some deleting initially in GSAK as the GPS will send across all your waypoints but its worth separating the wp particularly if some have nothing to do with caching.

The tech savvy cachers out there may have a better idea. :D

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 21 January 11 6:00 pm

Renroc wrote:OK I have gsak and have uploaded the my finds file and it has generated the stats. What do I do with it now and how do I get this file to show up on my profile?
Download and install this GSAK macro to generate and load your stats to your GC profile. http://tinyurl.com/6ckppg8

tronador

Post by tronador » 21 January 11 8:27 pm

gmj3191 wrote:
Download and install this GSAK macro to generate and load your stats to your GC profile. http://tinyurl.com/6ckppg8
:roll: ahh what happens when i get this message
Error in Macro at line: 131
Macro File=$strFindStatFile

I tried this and it told me it was installed, I tried to run it and it won't let me. I gave up on macros long ago because I don't understand what they are or how they work. ](*,) ](*,)

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 21 January 11 11:08 pm

tronador wrote:
gmj3191 wrote:

I tried this and it told me it was installed, I tried to run it and it won't let me. I gave up on macros long ago because I don't understand what they are or how they work. ](*,) ](*,)
I can remember this problem, it happened to me. I just looke4d back to find the solution.

You need to make sure that you can view hidden folders in the folder view options.
Then you need to find and delete GenUploadStats.dat in the following folder

C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Roaming\gsak\Macros

where Yourname is the windows login you use.

That should fix it. That's where it is in Windows 7.

The address might be a little different in Windows XP.

If you can't find the appdata area type %appdata% into the Run command in the start menu, and run it.

tronador

Post by tronador » 22 January 11 9:44 am

gmj3191 wrote:
tronador wrote:
gmj3191 wrote:

I can remember this problem, it happened to me. I just looke4d back to find the solution.

You need to make sure that you can view hidden folders in the folder view options.
Then you need to find and delete GenUploadStats.dat in the following folder

C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Roaming\gsak\Macros

where Yourname is the windows login you use.

That should fix it. That's where it is in Windows 7.

The address might be a little different in Windows XP.

If you can't find the appdata area type %appdata% into the Run command in the start menu, and run it.

Thanks I'll try this. T have Windows 7.

tronador

Post by tronador » 02 April 11 10:58 pm

Is anyone else getting an error message when getting pqs from gmail.
I get an error message saying : Mail download error.Error message is [AUTH] Username and password not accepted.
this is bizzare. It worked perfectly ok this morning. I have not changed anything and my username and password is correct.
What is going on here???? :shock:

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found

Re: New Program - GSAK - Badgegen bug?

Post by quiet1_au » 18 January 12 9:20 pm

I've been using GSAK for some time now and the Badgegen macro has been great (but addictive trying to level up on those badges ;-) )
With the last update though, I've discovered that for some reason that my Badgegen-erated profile page isn't being uploaded any more, even though it calls the GenUploadStats macro is called as it used to. Running GUS manual does upload correctly though. I've tried removing and re-adding running the GUS macro in Badgegen, uploading all the macros, etc - nothing has helped as yet. Has anyone else noticed this?

quiet1_au

Post by quiet1_au » 05 March 12 11:33 pm

I've just noticed too that I have logs from states of Australia I've never been too - presumably coming from Leapfrogs/Gegnomes. I tried deleting post-find logs and because I made the mistake of updating the logs on my finds which messed up all the moveable locations of my finds it took me ages to manually fix those up so the location matched where I found the cache... Perhaps its something new to the latest version of GSAK and/or Badgegen? Although it's shaded and counted the state finds, it hasn't actually given me the Australian state finds badge(s) for them...