New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
The Reigate Squires

Re: Exporting to Mapsend

Post by The Reigate Squires » 22 March 04 10:13 pm

leek wrote:
The Reigate Squires wrote:Hi Clyde
Is there a trick to typing in the "problem characters to remove" when exporting a file?
Use the Character Map application under Windows to select the characters you want to exclude, or alternatively, you could try cutting and pasting the following into the remove box:

´½’–
Thanks Leek, but it still won't work for me. What am I doing wrong?

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 22 March 04 10:21 pm

Is there a trick to typing in the "problem characters to remove" when exporting a file? I refer of course to the dreaded apostrophe that still appears in the description field when imported into Magellan's DiscoverAus. This of course causes the GPS transfer to crash.
Are you saying you can't enter the apostrophe, or that it does not appear to be removed from the generated description?

I guess the other question is: are you sure it is the apostrophe that is causing the problem?

C.A.S.
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by C.A.S. » 23 March 04 12:05 am

Hi Clyde

I have been using the User Flag to keep track of what cache pages I have printed out and have on me in a folder. I then use it as a filter to upload caches into my gps. However tonight I went to rebuid my default database and ... they're all gone :(

I noticed there was a way to export/import user notes and a menu for User Flags. Wondering if there was a way to export/import user flags for rebuild?

TimTam

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 23 March 04 12:42 am

C.A.S. wrote:Hi Clyde

I have been using the User Flag to keep track of what cache pages I have printed out and have on me in a folder. I then use it as a filter to upload caches into my gps. However tonight I went to rebuid my default database and ... they're all gone :(

I noticed there was a way to export/import user notes and a menu for User Flags. Wondering if there was a way to export/import user flags for rebuild?

TimTam
Certainly. Just export your database to a GPX file (make sure you tick both the "Include user notes in export" and "Include GSAK extra fields in export"

When you load this file back into GSAK it will restore your user flags and notes to exactly how they were when you did the export. Think of this as a way of backing up your current database.

The Reigate Squires

Post by The Reigate Squires » 23 March 04 1:13 pm

ClydeE wrote:
Is there a trick to typing in the "problem characters to remove" when exporting a file? I refer of course to the dreaded apostrophe that still appears in the description field when imported into Magellan's DiscoverAus. This of course causes the GPS transfer to crash.
Are you saying you can't enter the apostrophe, or that it does not appear to be removed from the generated description?

I guess the other question is: are you sure it is the apostrophe that is causing the problem?
It definitely seems to be the apostrophe:
I can enter an apostrophe in the problem characters box OK
I generate and export a Mapsend file then load that file into DiscoverAus. It loads OK but in the cache decriptions, the apostrophes are still there. EG Barney's Rubble.
When I then try to upload to the GPS from DiscoverAu, it gets stuck at Barney's Rubble.
If I manually edit and remove the apostrophes, all loads into the GPS just fine.
Does the problem box just need the typed character, or should it be delimited or marked in some way?
Sorry to be a nuisance.
--Laurie

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 23 March 04 1:26 pm

The Reigate Squires wrote: It definitely seems to be the apostrophe:
I can enter an apostrophe in the problem characters box OK
I generate and export a Mapsend file then load that file into DiscoverAus. It loads OK but in the cache decriptions, the apostrophes are still there. EG Barney's Rubble.
When I then try to upload to the GPS from DiscoverAu, it gets stuck at Barney's Rubble.
If I manually edit and remove the apostrophes, all loads into the GPS just fine.
Does the problem box just need the typed character, or should it be delimited or marked in some way?
Sorry to be a nuisance.
--Laurie
Ok, this does seem strange.

In order for me to track this down, could you please:

1. Do the generation that is causing the propblem
2. Send me the "babel.txt" and "GSAK.ini" files via e-mail. (You will find these files in the install folder of GSAK)

Thanks
Clyde

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 23 March 04 2:34 pm

Hey Squires, try cutting and pasting these 5 characters into the Problem character box... Barney's Rubble has yet another type of apostrophe in it...

´½’–'

That should fix it, but that said, that apostrophe doesn't cause any problems for my Meridian

The Reigate Squires

Post by The Reigate Squires » 23 March 04 10:12 pm

leek wrote:Hey Squires, try cutting and pasting these 5 characters into the Problem character box... Barney's Rubble has yet another type of apostrophe in it...

´½’–'

That should fix it, but that said, that apostrophe doesn't cause any problems for my Meridian
By George, you've got it Leek!
It uploaded with no dreaded apostrophes or other funny characters. Your wizardry once again. However, while the "smart names" are loading fine, only about one in 5 of the full names are going into the Meridien...many are just blank.
I'm getting a headache.

muzza
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by muzza » 24 March 04 9:28 am

The Reigate Squires wrote: However, while the "smart names" are loading fine, only about one in 5 of the full names are going into the Meridien...many are just blank.
I'm getting a headache.
On my Magellan Map330, there is only a set amount of memory available for the comments (which is where the full names are placed). It is allocated to the first waypoints downloaded and once full, the remaining waypoints have no comments.

Perhaps your Magellan has the same issue. Try loading a much smaller group of waypoints and see if they all retain their full names.

maccamob
10000 or more caches found

Post by maccamob » 24 March 04 10:59 am

muzza wrote:... there is only a set amount of memory available for the comments (which is where the full names are placed). It is allocated to the first waypoints downloaded and once full, the remaining waypoints have no comments...
On the Meridian models, which can store up to 500 waypoints, only 200 can have comments.

The Reigate Squires

Post by The Reigate Squires » 24 March 04 3:27 pm

There is no doubting the wisdom of Geocachers.
Obviously (now it has been explained) what is happening is that after the download which only loads a restricted number of "messages" or comments, the Meridian then sorts them by distance or whatever and thus there appear to be blanks scattered through the list. I rang Magellan in Perth who had no idea of the message memory restrictions other than the advertised 500 waypoints. However they did point out that the waypoints can also be loaded onto the memory card (for GPS units that have them) which I didn't realise either. I'll try that next.
Thanks chaps.

maccamob

Post by maccamob » 24 March 04 4:19 pm

The Reigate Squires wrote:However they did point out that the waypoints can also be loaded onto the memory card (for GPS units that have them)...
The simplest way to get your waypoints onto and off the card is to use Menu / Card Utilities / Save WP/Route or / Load WP/Route on your Meridian. The Card Utilities Menu only appears when an SD Card is fitted. You can also transfer waypoints directly to/from the card on your PC using a card reader and a utility such as GPSBabel, but that way isn't nearly as easy as it might sound. Either way, you are still stuck with the 200 waypoint message/comment limitation once you load them to the Meridian. <p>

What you <i>can</i> do if you want the messages/comments on every waypoint is load/save the waypoints in uniquely-named groups of 200 and only have one group on your meridian at a time, and the rest in reserve on your card. To swap groups, you will need to use Menu / Setup / Clear Memory / Wpts/Routes first, to clear the existing group before you load the next one off the card.
Last edited by maccamob on 24 March 04 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeoQuacks
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by GeoQuacks » 24 March 04 5:44 pm

That sounds really annoying :?

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Single GPX files now available

Post by ClydeE » 24 March 04 5:55 pm

For those of you that download LOC files just to get a new cache into GSAK (or archived one for that matter) please note you can now download individual GPX files from the cache page (no waiting :D )

Note: Not 100% sure, but I think this might be a premium membership option only.

See this post on the secondary site http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... t&p=849361

The Reigate Squires

Post by The Reigate Squires » 24 March 04 9:21 pm

Thanks for the tip Macca; I'm going to have to have a good think about it first.