New Program - GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 25 September 05 10:08 am

Fairly Magic wrote: I take it the solution is to manually search and update my database? Cheers Quilter
You're quickly becoming a guru on all this, Quilter!!

FYI: A nice easy way to do it is to search by the 'Last GPX' column and then investigate those caches which have not been updated on your last few GP imports.... it's ugly and its a pain, but its the way it is unfortunatley!
:cry:

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 25 September 05 10:53 am

If it helps, there is a gpx of archived caches <a href="http://geocaching.riblit.net/gpx/archiv ... p">here</a>. It has at the most 2 logs per cache, including the archived log to set the status in GSAK.

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 25 September 05 11:12 am

acts2youthgroup wrote:I export the current data base with the sort the way I want it, but when I open the gpx file in a new data base the sort is lost.

Ok I got it to work, but it would be nise if it kept the number sytem in the user field when exporting it.
If you really want an exact image if a database to share with other users, then use the File=>Backup option, and then just tick the box of the one database you want to share. This will generate a zip file you can then email to the other user, and all they need to do is take the File=>Restore option. They will then have an exact image of that database including your user sort values, corrected coordinates, etc.

Caution:

You should problably name this database something esoteric, so it doesn't automatically override the other user's database if they have one with the same name. Remember, the database will be restored on the users system - not merged.

Fairly Magic
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Fairly Magic » 25 September 05 1:28 pm

Thanks Riblit and CraigRat for your help. Hopefully this will save us some :oops: in future. After logging a Penguin cache on our recent trip, then seeing it had been archived weeks before, I have been revisiting my pocketqueries and thinking I was missing something. Cheers Quilter

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 01 October 05 12:18 am

Just a few tips some users may not be aware of:

Customize the search bar
The search bar is at the top of the screen and contains items like the name search, code search, filters, locations etc. You may not use some of the items here, or perhaps you would like to move them around. You can select which items to show on the search bar (yo can also resize this bar) and you can move them to your preferred position. These settings will be saved.. To customize the search bar, right mouse click on it and select “Customize search barÂâ€

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 03 October 05 4:17 pm

Google Earth - http://earth.google.com/

This free tool is proving to be popular and the next version of GSAK will have a native export to it.

However, for those that "want it now" you can download the GoogleEarth.txt macro from http://gsak.net/Macros.php

This macro will automatically generate a temporary KML file, then show these waypoints in GE. The macro currently just sends down all the waypoints in your current filter, but it would not be hard to alter the selection if needed.

If this is a macro you would like to use often, then just add it to your tool bar.

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 16 October 05 3:41 pm

I am trying to automate the importing of my PQ's into GSAK, and want to use the import from e-mail function, rather than saving the files into my documents, then importing them.

I will create another e-mail account for this, since i have unlimited e-mail acounts with my domain.

In GSAK i have 2 seperate DB's that i use. The first is a DB for SA, and another for VIC. My SA PQ's run every other day, whilst the VIC ones run once a week.

Is there a macro that i can create, that will import my PQ's from my PQ e-mail account, then import each PQ into the correct DB without further manual sorting?

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 16 October 05 4:41 pm

setsujoku wrote:I am trying to automate the importing of my PQ's into GSAK, and want to use the import from e-mail function, rather than saving the files into my documents, then importing them.

I will create another e-mail account for this, since i have unlimited e-mail acounts with my domain.

In GSAK i have 2 seperate DB's that i use. The first is a DB for SA, and another for VIC. My SA PQ's run every other day, whilst the VIC ones run once a week.

Is there a macro that i can create, that will import my PQ's from my PQ e-mail account, then import each PQ into the correct DB without further manual sorting?
Yes, this is exactly what you can do with the GetMail and Load commands in the macro language. Perhaps a bit more complicated than you require, but you could take a look at the GetMail.txt macro that another user has created to give you a reference http://gsak.net/Macros.php

Also check out the section "Automating GSAK" in the help file or view online here http://gsak.net/help/hs21000.htm

You can always pop back here with questions if there is something you get stuck on.

zactyl

Can't init COM2

Post by zactyl » 04 November 05 11:36 am

Gah, never mind, tried changing to COM1 and it works. :P Don't know what the deal is with COM2, cos it worked fine with Oziexplorer, but no matter :)

I found a minor bug in the Help section for GPS Setup, clicking on Communications port shows info for "Supported Symbols", while clicking on the symbols (below the text that suggests "see help for more info ;) ) gives the error "The topic does not exist. Contact your application vendor for an updated Help file. (129)

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Re: Can't init COM2

Post by ClydeE » 04 November 05 12:51 pm

zactyl wrote:Gah, never mind, tried changing to COM1 and it works. :P Don't know what the deal is with COM2, cos it worked fine with Oziexplorer, but no matter :)

I found a minor bug in the Help section for GPS Setup, clicking on Communications port shows info for "Supported Symbols", while clicking on the symbols (below the text that suggests "see help for more info ;) ) gives the error "The topic does not exist. Contact your application vendor for an updated Help file. (129)
Thanks. Fixed in next release.

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 07 November 05 11:17 am

There is probably something obvious that I am missing but here goes.<BR>
I have just upgraded to premium membership for GC.com and I am wondering how to download info as a GPX file? For some reason every time I download from anywhere other than Horus' site it comes as loc. nd has no info besides the name and coordinates.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 07 November 05 12:11 pm

Cheesy pigs wrote:There is probably something obvious that I am missing
'Fraid so... :)

Near the bottom of the form, there's a box marked "In the form" where you select GPX or LOC.

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 07 November 05 12:22 pm

For those new to PQs a good turorial can be found here http://members.aol.com/marklent60544/my ... ing/pq.htm

energizer61
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by energizer61 » 07 November 05 12:23 pm

Bear_Left wrote:
Cheesy pigs wrote:There is probably something obvious that I am missing
'Fraid so... :)

Near the bottom of the form, there's a box marked "In the form" where you select GPX or LOC.
there's also a lot of info on GPX files & how to obtain them here :)

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 07 November 05 3:29 pm

Thanks guys, had tried to download from rob&lisas site, but just got loc file. Will set up PQs ta.