The ultimate geocaching device....

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 20 April 06 3:39 pm

Mr Router wrote:
setsujoku wrote: I can export straight out of GSAK onto the SD card, and then read the logs through internet explorer.
Finally someone else who uses GSAK freebies!
Yeah there doesnt seem to be too many people that make use of this feature.
Dont know why you would want to export to (and pay for)another program just to read the same stuff that your PPC can do for no extra cost :D :D :D

dajjct
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by dajjct » 20 April 06 3:58 pm

Work has given us O2 Atoms for phone, email, note taking around the place etc - bout a $1k. Can interface to a bluetooth GPS - $100 to $300. TomTom 5 can be installed (yet to see what this costs) but may need a mini SD for maps $200. GSAK can export POI for TomTom. Us IE or CacheMate ($8US) to read cache notes. CacheMate may use BT GPS.

Couple of weeks may have most of the bits and pieces to have a play.

David.

setsujoku
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 20 April 06 4:03 pm

dajjct wrote:Work has given us O2 Atoms for phone, email, note taking around the place etc - bout a $1k. Can interface to a bluetooth GPS - $100 to $300. TomTom 5 can be installed (yet to see what this costs) but may need a mini SD for maps $200. GSAK can export POI for TomTom. Us IE or CacheMate ($8US) to read cache notes. CacheMate may use BT GPS.

Couple of weeks may have most of the bits and pieces to have a play.

David.
Dont know how much space the Tom Tom maps take up, but when i picked up my mini SD card, i got a 512mb one for around $65, which is so far easily doing the job. It came with a SD card adapter as well, which makes it even more versatile when out with the camera, and the laptop :D :D :D

sc00t
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by sc00t » 20 April 06 4:04 pm

So once you get your hand on a device, whats the go with connecting to a network for wireless internet??
<p>
Telstra seem to be the only people that can offer a decent package based on CDMA/EVDO.
<p>
So, the next question is, what network do you connect your ultimate geocaching device to?

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 20 April 06 4:14 pm

I use the free "shared" connections that pop up as you drive around.

Coverage is always uncertain - but, its free!

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 20 April 06 8:55 pm

sc00t wrote:So once you get your hand on a device, whats the go with connecting to a network for wireless internet??
<p>
Telstra seem to be the only people that can offer a decent package based on CDMA/EVDO.
<p>
So, the next question is, what network do you connect your ultimate geocaching device to?
As we are still dialup ,we use the phone to connect as a dialup modem , infared is slow , bluetooth is the go!
When it comes to using wireless hotspots we have several programs that track networks & we connect to what ever will let us in!You would be surprised how many wireless set ups are not secure!
As for Maccas most have Telstra hotspots which work really well, if you dont have a data contract but you have a telstra on a bill phone you put in ya mobile number and it spits you back a text with a log in number & bob's your uncle internet while you eat their plastic tucker!
All this with somthing thats firs in your hand!

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 20 April 06 9:01 pm

Pesky! wrote:
setsujoku wrote:
Mr Router wrote:
setsujoku wrote: I can export straight out of GSAK onto the SD card, and then read the logs through internet explorer.
Finally someone else who uses GSAK freebies!
Yeah there doesnt seem to be too many people that make use of this feature.
Dont know why you would want to export to (and pay for)another program just to read the same stuff that your PPC can do for no extra cost :D :D :D
Tag me as another user of this feature, Ive been using GSak for this for at least a year, maybe two, i could not go geocahing without the html database now. which poses the question... what would you do if the batteries ran flat, or PPC got destroyed in some freaky , oops into the creek type accident.
Just after we finished slapping ourself ,would head for GeoSuzie & the backup laptop!As for going flat keep it on charge in the car if your out for a big day.