mapsource metroguide-moving maps removed?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Udderchaos
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Udderchaos » 19 April 06 11:07 am

v6 metroguide and v6 city navigator are most certainly not the same maps (in our area anyway).

not real happy with v6 metro guide maps, painfully slow on the gps when geocaching... going back to v4

Udderchaos

Post by Udderchaos » 19 April 06 11:08 am

nroute most certainly works with metroguide

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 22 April 06 10:33 am

Hi Guys, I recieved Metroguide 6 in the mail yesterday after e mailing GME electrophone.

I'm happy to say that V6 has worked very well for me, it has more detailed maps both around the city with the inclusion of all freeways, streets, estates and major roads to date.
In the country Major frequently used main roads are better marked.. (in old V4 it sometimes only came up as a grey type track road). Lakes, Rivers, POI are in more detail or more complete. Lake Eildon, Lake Hume are the two of the noticeable additions to V6. There is more features while driving that I have noted as well.

I have come across one small bug, which I will write to Garmin about.

I have a Laptop and a 7 inch screen connected to a GPS on the roof of my car. With Version 4 running N route, if I travel with it turned on it will tell me that im on the road, or if its out it may say that im travelling next to the road. If I went off it would soon detect it run the icon will go off road. On the top of the screen it would tell me if I was travelling North South East or West.

When I upgraded to Version 6. I was staggered to find that while travelling on a straight road the Icon for the car was zigzagging across the road and continually going off course. With alot of fiddling I found what the cause was...
In the preferences setup there is an option that states "keep vehicle to road" I had to turn this function "off" while previously it was on with V4. Since then the vehcile stays on the road without the zig zag effect. But why??? I got no idea at all. I shall email garmin about this to see what they say about it.

While driving with Version 6. It will tell you what major road you are on and the direction your travelling in with a 8 point style conpass. N,NE,S,SE,W,SW,E&NW.

At a major intersection it will tell you what that intersection is.. Even though this works extremely well with having "keep vehicle to road" turned "on" when it is off it has a longer delay and sometimes misses the interesection all together which is the main reason why I would like to know if this bug can be fixed.

Anyhow I'm fairly happy with the new Metroguide 6. a 8 out of 10 from me.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 22 April 06 11:53 am

I thought that was a common feature for the more advanced map routing GPS software. As GPS is not perfectly accurate, especially when moving at high speed under tree cover etc, instead of having you driving beside a road it just presumes you would in fact be driving at the closest point ON the road and marks you there on the map. As you found out it makes driving directions with intersections much more accurate.

3BlindEyes

MetroGuide 6

Post by 3BlindEyes » 22 April 06 3:24 pm

Thanks for the info on the MetroGuide update xf king. Seems you've found the "lock on road" problem. You said "keep vehicle to road", while on my StreetPilot it's called "lock on road". I find it a damn nuisance as it keeps jumping onto the nearest road if you're driving on a new section of road, so it's not showing where you really are. It probably means the map/road isn't drawn quite right and the gps says you are at such and such a spot but the lock on road feature is trying to 'lock' you onto a nearby road.
As a matter of interest, the Australian model StreetPilot has the option to turn "lock on road" on or off, but the US version doesn't, so the US ones are always "locked on road" sigh. Guess which model I have? :( Another scenario is if there are 2 parallel roads following a railway and you're on one but the gps is showing you on the other! This only happens when autoroute is running and it wants you on one particular road but, for some reason, you are on the other road. If you deviate more than about 150m off course, then it will let go and jump on to some other road. Hopefully the one you're really on! :)
Hope that explains some of the mystery to you.

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 23 April 06 11:15 pm

I thought that the New Metrguide 6 was a good but today when I tried to navigate to a waypoint (on the fly style).. The new map has totally remvoed this feature, while the old Version 4 could still have this feature, im very disfatisfied, As to me I would have still thought the new map could support a Go To waypoint option on the fly like Metroguide 4 did. I have written a letter of complaint to Garmin.

I dont want to pay alot of money for City Navigator as I dont like being told what street to turn at by a computer. All I want is a pointer that points to the waypoint im heading towards while it shows me what major road im on, just like a standard Etrex Legend used to work like..

So its back to Metroguide 4 for now until they either fix it, or make a simple on the fly route option availible in a patch..

Matto.

3BlindEyes

Post by 3BlindEyes » 24 April 06 11:56 am

Hi xf king. I don't really get what you mean in your last post. By putting MetroGuide 6 on your GPS, you just updated the maps, so I don't see how it affected your waypoint navigation. Care to enlighten me with more details? Would be interesting to hear what Garmin say, if they ever email you back.

As for CityNav 6 telling you what to do, you don't have to activate the voice guided autoroute, or you could even turn the volume off like I often do, and just follow the bold line on your screen. Or you could use "off-road" navigation which will give you a line to your waypoint, so thats sorta similar to the etrex arrow. What model of GPS do you use?

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 24 April 06 6:35 pm

Sorry, just filling in the missing gaps here.. I should have said that I use Nroute on a PC in my car, When the maps are loaded onto a GPS it works fine. But on Nroute (on the fly calculations dont work while on Metroguide V4.00 it worked perfectly..

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 26 April 06 6:48 pm

Looks like my complaint to Garmin is going to be looked at, I can only cross my fingers that the outcome will somewhat be good, here is a copy of what they sent to me...
Thank you for contacting Garmin.

Quote Loy (Garmin)

Some of this pertains to the limited compatibility with nRoute and MetroGuide v5 products and later. This is not a thing Garmin capriciously folded in but was necessary to keep us within licensing agreements with vendors and that type of thing. IÂ’m sorry I cannot say differently.

That said, I asked about this and why v4 was so different from v6 in THIS product, and it MAY be something unintended in nRoute. DonÂ’t hold me to that as it is a preliminary thought and may not prove true--I think they are still looking into it to see if that is the case and, if so, what we can do about it. But I didnÂ’t want to let this message just sit until I knew more. If/when I hear more, either way, IÂ’ll let you know.

Best regards,

Loy

And this is what I sent to him..

Hello I have just recently bought Mapsource Metroguide Australia V6. I used to run Version 4 with Nroute in my car, Being a geocacher All I wanted to see was a map on the screen with NO auto route but just a pointer pointing to a waypoiont and how far it was away from me as the crow flies. This was no problem with Metroguide Australia V4, but after the upgrade to Version 6, you guys have disabled even the most simple routing capabilties of the map and it has left me very unsatisfied with the new Metroguide Australia.

Please dont ask me to upgrade to City Navigator as I'm not willing to spend anymore extra money for new mapping programs. As I expect a new map to have the same functions as the old maps!!!..

Is there anyway to have a Go to waypoint function in Nroute without automatic routing, its all I need. Just like a handheld GPS pointing straight to a waypoint with street by street navigation!..

Thanks
Matt B.

Udderchaos

Post by Udderchaos » 26 April 06 9:57 pm

ive found garmin extremelly good with pretty much every request ive had of them.

They where even going to look at my 60c which was playing up free of charge out of warranty! (flashed it-all good)