mapsource metroguide-moving maps removed?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
3BlindEyes

Garmin MapSource

Post by 3BlindEyes » 16 April 06 2:33 am

Hi Andrew,
As you've probably worked out by now, the GPS tab disappearing act is the fault of your upgraded MapSource program. Got nothing to do with the actual maps. Garmin in their wisdom, decided to drop it for some reason. Pity. You'll have to use an older version of MapSource than 6.9.1 if you want the moving Map on your laptop. Then you have another problem. I use MapSource version 5.4 on my laptop to give me moving maps, and it works just fine with the 6.01 maps by the way. But...it uses the old mps file format rather than the new gdb file format, so if you run MapSource 6.9.1 on your PC you have to save your waypoints in the older mps format then send them to your laptop. No biggie, but something you have to remember. By the way, I dont use the MetroGuide maps any more, as the CityNav 6.01 maps are a lot better. In my opinion, the 6.01 maps seem like a combination of CityNav 5 and MetroGuide 4.01, with extra features and embellishments thrown in of course. Hope that clears things up for you and Scojohara as well.
Mal

Dooghan

Re: Garmin MapSource

Post by Dooghan » 16 April 06 10:00 am

3BlindEyes wrote:By the way, I dont use the MetroGuide maps any more, as the CityNav 6.01 maps are a lot better. In my opinion, the 6.01 maps seem like a combination of CityNav 5 and MetroGuide 4.01, with extra features and embellishments thrown in of course.
You'll probably find both products use the same mapset. They've just left out the auto-routing from Metro.

Dooghan

Udderchaos
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Udderchaos » 16 April 06 2:48 pm

there are new maps out for metroguide which are way better than they used to be. Came out about 2 weeks ago i think........

The version of City navigator i looked at about a year ago didnt cover much of where i live or the surrounding area at all......

yes, Im aware what happeneded with the updates, but i missed the removal of moving map as i update my desktop and not my laptop which was sill running V4..

3BlindEyes

Post by 3BlindEyes » 16 April 06 3:05 pm

New maps out as of 2 weeks ago? Huh! I didn't know that. Will look into it. Thanks for the info!

3BlindEyes

Post by 3BlindEyes » 16 April 06 3:41 pm

Thanks for the info Andrew. It seems there's a new MetroGuide 6 out...when was 5 out? I never even saw that one. Will have to go buy it next week and see what it's like. And there's even a new MapSource 6.10.2 out which I grabbed. Will install it tonight and try it out. I thought Garmin were supposed to email me and let me know when there are new updates? Whats the point of being on their list if they don'r email you? :?

Udderchaos

Post by Udderchaos » 16 April 06 5:54 pm

exactly, no emails

if your metroguide 4 is under 12 months old they will give u the upgrade for free.

Actually they give you the upgrade cd for free (they mailed it to me when i asked) but its $75 us to register v6.......

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 16 April 06 6:19 pm

Andrew&Leesa wrote:exactly, no emails

if your metroguide 4 is under 12 months old they will give u the upgrade for free.

Actually they give you the upgrade cd for free (they mailed it to me when i asked) but its $75 us to register v6.......
I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the info

Dooghan

Udderchaos

Post by Udderchaos » 16 April 06 11:23 pm

and thanks for the tip about nroute, got a 450k trip to adelaide tommorrow. Will get to give it a whirl in anger :)

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 17 April 06 11:14 pm

I have been waiting for an update, I would like to upgrade to V6 but I too only bought my copy of V4 only 6 months ago. I dont want to really spend $75 or up to $180 on a new cd..

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 18 April 06 11:44 pm

Dooghan wrote:why not just download nRoute and use it?
nRoute only works with City Nav software.

If you want good country roads and tracks use Tracks4Australia, this will work with moving maps

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 18 April 06 11:50 pm

Nroute will work with Metroguide, as I am using it myself. But you will not be able to automatically route it will only put your car onscreen and if you select to route to a waypoint it will just have an arrow pointing in the general location of the waypoint, just like geocaching in the bush with a standard Yellow Etrex except you have a moving map too, so to decide on streets you will have to pull over and check the map..

3BlindEyes

MetroGuide 6

Post by 3BlindEyes » 19 April 06 12:22 am

Hi XF King, can you tell me what the new MetroGuide 6 is like? (or anyone else that has bought it) I used the old version 4 a few years ago and it was good, but CityNav 6 was much better when that came out so I bought that and use it still. Now that MetroGuide v6 is out I'd like to know if it's worth my while rushing out to buy it. Thanks. Mal

3BlindEyes

Post by 3BlindEyes » 19 April 06 12:26 am

hmm, maybe I should have directed that question at Andrew&Leesa as it looks like XF King hasn't bought the update yet? sorry for not reading before I post :-/

Dooghan

Re: MetroGuide 6

Post by Dooghan » 19 April 06 6:19 am

3BlindEyes wrote:Hi XF King, can you tell me what the new MetroGuide 6 is like? (or anyone else that has bought it) I used the old version 4 a few years ago and it was good, but CityNav 6 was much better when that came out so I bought that and use it still. Now that MetroGuide v6 is out I'd like to know if it's worth my while rushing out to buy it. Thanks. Mal
From what I can tell from viewing the maps online, it looks like City Nav and Metro are the same maps but no auto-routing in Metro. Here's a link so you can view Metro online http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSo ... ralia.jsp#

City Nav is here http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSo ... avAUS.jsp#

Dooghan

3BlindEyes

Post by 3BlindEyes » 19 April 06 6:52 am

Thanks Dooghan. The same maps? hmm, I already have the CityNav 6.01 maps, and auto-routing is so handy, so no point me buying it then, unless someone can say otherwise. I was hoping there would be lots of updated maps at least as there was a big jump from the old Metro4 to CityNav6, but maybe theres no such leap this time? I might have to go visit a garmin dealer for a demo and see what I think...