PQ Error

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

PQ Error

Post by GIN51E » 02 April 06 6:26 pm

There is a number of PQ's i've run which i can not open in any program as it just comes up that there is an error in the file, i've run these PQ's a few times yet everytime i get the same error with the file yet other PQ's are ok.

Anyone able to take a look and see what is causing the fault? i'm unable to upload the GPX file anywhere so it will have to be sent to you.

Cheers GIN51E

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 02 April 06 6:56 pm

you can mail it to us @ pq@teampiggy.com

We'll have a looksee and get back to you.

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 02 April 06 7:03 pm

email sent :D

it seems to only be the small PQ's

never the less the last thing i want before i go on holidays to tassie is to not have the PQ's for the caches on the way down there :(

Thanks Team Piggy

C.A.S.
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by C.A.S. » 02 April 06 7:22 pm

Team Piggy wrote:you can mail it to us @ pq@teampiggy.com

Hey, seeing i'm not getting any PQ's, I'll have a look too ... plus it will test if i can get a message.

Can you please send the offending PQ to c.a.s.@internode.on.net

TimTam

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 02 April 06 7:32 pm

C.A.S. wrote:
Team Piggy wrote:you can mail it to us @ pq@teampiggy.com

Hey, seeing i'm not getting any PQ's, I'll have a look too ... plus it will test if i can get a message.

Can you please send the offending PQ to c.a.s.@internode.on.net

TimTam
sent

C.A.S.
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by C.A.S. » 02 April 06 9:33 pm

Looks like the gpx files (well the ones I received) are incomplete.

If you open the file up with a notepad editor, you can see that the files abrupty end partway through the <wpt> content.

These files are standard (1.0) XML files and each section which starts with a <> tag MUST end with a corresponding </> tag eg <wpt> blah blah blah</wpt>

So some more investigation is needed.

TimTam

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 02 April 06 10:43 pm

Still waiting for the mail to arrive :S.

Maybe my mailserver is taking holidays again!

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 02 April 06 11:14 pm

i think that when the GPX file was on my mail server it said the file size was 'for example' 40K but when i download the file on the computer its only 20-30K

yet i don't see how i could loose some of the file in the download as the larger PQ's i get which are around 1mb 700K etc they download fine and work fine its just the small PQ's don't work.

i'll try getting them sent to me as a ZIP file and see what happens but i will have to wait another day for that so i'll see what happens

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 02 April 06 11:25 pm

i also just noticed that there is a connection between the file names which have the problems

Coast2 50K
Coast3 50K
Coast5 50K

Hume2 50K
Hume3 50K
Hume5 50K

the files that have the problem share the same numbers :?

i'm sure this can't have anything to do with it. :?:

anyway i've set up for some of them to come through to me as a zipped file some as a normal GPX file and i'll try saving them onto my computer as before 'coast2' and then as the default file name and just see what happens,

now i just have to wait for them 8)

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 03 April 06 7:48 pm

GPX file in email 32K

i downloaded the file 4 times onto my computer, here are the sizes of the file after i downloaded it.

i seem to be loosing some information during the download, but this only happens with PQ's smaller than around 80K anything over that i don't seem to have a problem with.

Yet i tried a few GPX files that were zipped and once i unzipped them they all worked ok so far.

I guess i'll just have to get all my PQ's sent as a ZIP file from now on.

does anyone have an answer as to why i'm missing information on small file downloads?

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 03 April 06 10:46 pm

GIN51E wrote:GPX file in email 32K

Yet i tried a few GPX files that were zipped and once i unzipped them they all worked ok so far.

I guess i'll just have to get all my PQ's sent as a ZIP file from now on.

does anyone have an answer as to why i'm missing information on small file downloads?
It is a long shot but what may be happening is that there is some odd character being interpreted by your system as an end of file marker or something like that which is then truncating the file at that point.

You should always use the zip option as suggested by GC as there are no known problems in sending zips through the mail systems and as you have found out some PQ's don't arrive correctly in the raw GPX form or do arrive correctly but your system does something to them when they are taken out of the mail system.

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 04 April 06 10:08 pm

got a few zip files that wouldn't open due to an internal fault in the file :roll: i will just have to keep trying until they work, perhaps try turning the firewall/scanner off whilst downloading them?

Chwiliwr

Post by Chwiliwr » 04 April 06 10:26 pm

GIN51E wrote:got a few zip files that wouldn't open due to an internal fault in the file :roll: i will just have to keep trying until they work, perhaps try turning the firewall/scanner off whilst downloading them?
Don't turn the firewall off if you are still connected to the net as that is leaving you wide open to any attack that may come down the connection.

The firewall itself would not be affecting anything as it usually allows or stops something not alter it.

You need to identify if the zip is corrupted in the mail process or just when you get it out of the mail. Use the forward command on the mail that is holding the suspect zip and forward it onto someone else and see if they have the same corruption.

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 06 April 06 12:23 am

OK first of all I'll say how my computer is set up,

Modem plugs into Wireless Router, Desktop PC plugs into Wireless Router through Ethernet connection.

Now the file size in the email is 39K yet when downloaded onto the desktop during many attempts the file size on the computer is between 18 & 24K now i turn off the firewall/scanner doesn't make any difference clear internet folders and history still doesn't help. and unable to download a non corrupt file.

Turn on notebook computer which is using the same internet connection via the Wireless Router.
Download the file.
File size once downloaded is 28.7K '32K size on disk' file works fine and opens with no caches missing, downloaded file several times in which every time the file arrived safely and had no errors.

Download file from laptop onto Desktop computer via Wireless Router file still ok with no errors.

Which makes me ask....... why do i get errors when i download it using the desktop computer? :?

Chwiliwr

Post by Chwiliwr » 06 April 06 1:45 am

GIN51E wrote:
Download file from laptop onto Desktop computer via Wireless Router file still ok with no errors.

Which makes me ask....... why do i get errors when i download it using the desktop computer? :?
When you say download does that mean you use the email program and then extract the file from within the email program or are you downloading via some other means to you Desktop PC.

I think that you have isolated the cause to your desktop email system by what you have described so far as it seems that you can get the file unzipped OK if it comes via the laptop's email system. I have assumed here that you have the same operating system on both PC's.

I suggest that if the laptop and the desktop are using the same email program (including the versions) then it is one of the many settings that is causing the desktop program to act differently. It may be tedious but you probably will have to compare all the settings between them to find the difference.