GeoToad Lives Again!

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
c.j.b

GeoToad Lives Again!

Post by c.j.b » 12 March 06 1:23 pm

The GeoToad developers have just uploaded their latest and greatest into the Subversion repository @ svn://firebelly.dnsalias.org/repository/geotoad/trunk ... If you lack Subversion, I've placed a snapshot at http://hunter.apana.org.au/~cjb/Code/geotoad.tar.bz2 (~650kB)

This is the in-testing version that uses a GC.com login. I worked on my NetBSD and OSX machines without a hitch. No doubt the maintainers would like to know if anything fails on your end.

It brought a tear to my eye to once again create caching 'Plucker' files for my Palm Tungsten... Over the New Year holiday a friend and I tried to do a cache-crawl from Sydney to Fraser Island and back, but without internet access or a handy-dandy working GeoToad, we only managed to find _3_ caches on the 3000 kms trip. :-(

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 12 March 06 7:21 pm

Has the geotoad with the GC logon been sanctioned by GC.com as being an authorised "scraper / slurper" ?

c.j.b

Post by c.j.b » 12 March 06 8:31 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Has the geotoad with the GC logon been sanctioned by GC.com as being an authorised "scraper / slurper" ?
The previous GeoToad supposedly was... not that it made any difference.

c.j.b

Post by c.j.b » 13 March 06 1:37 pm

Update: formal releases (for Windows/OSX/Source) are now available from the sourceforge site.

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 16 March 06 12:18 am

When I first saw Geotoad I noticed that I couldn't get an Australian state in one go and this is still the case with the new version but for those that have or are willing to install Ruby a simple line add to 'searchcode.rb' source file allows an Australian 'state' search.

Takes a while but you don't have to be a premium member to get a State GPX file for those that want one.

team unicycle
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by team unicycle » 17 March 06 8:43 am

I had no problem getting it to start a state search - I just used "55" for the state, which gave me SA.
I had problems with it finishing though. On several attempts, I wouldn't get more than 20 pages before Geotoad abended, and of those it did manage to download there were several it could not parse. It's not reliable enough for me, I'll stick to Pocket Queries.