Cachemate for Pocket PC has been released

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found

Cachemate for Pocket PC has been released

Post by Webguy » 07 March 06 9:13 pm

Just so PPC users can now have the same goodness us palm users have had for ages...

http://www.smittyware.com/ppc/cachemate/

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 07 March 06 10:08 pm

Ummm, I was using this on a PPC on my HK trip in 2004/2005 ?

Is there something I? (You?) are missing? :?
I know the release says this year, but I swear thats the exact thing I was using over there, I remember the screen shots!

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 08 March 06 9:55 am

I don't believe so...

Release - CacheMate 1.0 for Pocket PC (February 10, 2006) 0 comments
It's finally here! CacheMate, once only a Palm OS application, is now available for Pocket PC (2002 and higher) as well. A lot of things are the same, but there are also plenty of differences attributed to the change in platform, including the ability to import and export GPX files on the device itself and viewing of images embedded in cache descriptions.

Plugins for navigation and GPS waypoint transfer are forthcoming, but feel free to submit requests for any additional import/export possibilities you may want for this product.

Enjoy!

Initial release was only on feb 10 this year.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 08 March 06 1:33 pm

Have you got hold of a copy Webby?

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 08 March 06 1:38 pm

No, I continue to use the palm version, but it's available on that link above.

edmil
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by edmil » 08 March 06 2:13 pm

I downloaded a copy today and after a quick look decided to purchase.
I'm running it from the storage card on my PPC (2003 edition), as I did with GPXSonar, and it seems to be chugging along fine, however it did take a while to load the database with the 532 records. For someone who is doing a lot of record updates this may be a bit of a hassle. I used to build my GPX files using GSAK and then just put them on the Storage card and link to them with GPXSonar. I will see how it goes. For the moment the functionality appears to be worth the purchase.

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 08 March 06 2:24 pm

It works, hooray! Unregistered version only takes 10 caches (great for the QLD GCA list! :D )
Only problem I came up against (apart from it being ugly and unintuitive) was that the program doesn't install in the usual way (ie the way most PPC programs do, from the computer), you have to move the downloaded file to the PPC, get out your stylus and navigate to the file on the PPC, double click it to install, then delete the file.
But it works :)

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 08 March 06 4:38 pm

Very interested in the GPSr connection & what role this plays, might checkout the freebie :)

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 08 March 06 5:40 pm

Mr Router wrote:Very interested in the GPSr connection & what role this plays, might checkout the freebie :)
The Palm version has a companion program called CacheNav that looks rather like the magic arrow screen in most GPSrs.
You can use it stand-alone or it gets called from CacheMate when you select 'nav' from a cache field.

Works pretty well with my Bluetooth GPSr and my Palm T3, on those occasions when I didn't have my Magellan with me.

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 08 March 06 7:58 pm

I installed the PPC version on my PPC just out of curiosity, Palm users have it much better, but it's early days yet. We shall see what evolves from this.

rogainer
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by rogainer » 08 March 06 10:50 pm

I am trying to assess the advantages of Cachemate over GPXSonar. I am currently using GPXSonar and downloaded Cachemate to my PPC last night for a trial.<br>
My first impression was that they both seem fairly similar for basic GPX file handling. If I don't need the GPS'r connectivity, am I better off just sticking with GPXSonar?

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 08 March 06 11:54 pm

rogainer wrote:If I don't need the GPS'r connectivity, am I better off just sticking with GPXSonar?
Can it scramble 3 months supply of your cache notes like GPXSonar when the dat file gets corrupted.. :x
Lost quite a few caches I was 1/2 way through...

Something I could trust would be better.

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 09 March 06 7:56 am

rogainer wrote:I am trying to assess the advantages of Cachemate over GPXSonar. I am currently using GPXSonar and downloaded Cachemate to my PPC last night for a trial.<br>
My first impression was that they both seem fairly similar for basic GPX file handling. If I don't need the GPS'r connectivity, am I better off just sticking with GPXSonar?
After trying GPZ Sonar we went back to exporting HTML files to the memory card and using those , which to us proved a lot easier than gpx sonar, best of all it is free.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 29 March 06 9:36 pm

Team Piggy wrote:Ummm, I was using this on a PPC on my HK trip in 2004/2005 ?

Is there something I? (You?) are missing? :?
I know the release says this year, but I swear thats the exact thing I was using over there, I remember the screen shots!
Bing.... :idea:

Found it?: http://home.comcast.net/~fabienroyer/Docs/Index.htm

Heres a screen shot on what I thought was Cachemate that I used in 2004. My mistake, but bloody similar!! :D *Throw Mud & truffles*

Zytheran

Post by Zytheran » 29 March 06 10:32 pm

"These changes were made at the cost of some visual acuity, but also included some brain enhancements to allow the pigs handle the new sensory inputs."

aha, Team Piggy is aNeoPig!