Transferring waypoints from one GPS to another?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
kiwitonita

Transferring waypoints from one GPS to another?

Post by kiwitonita » 23 February 06 9:51 am

The older Garmin models such as the 12 and 12XL had the very useful "Send Wpt" command, allowing waypoints to be transferred from one GPS to another in the field - without PC's or such - just a Garmin to Garmin cable.

I've been asked by people involved in pest control if it's possible with the newer units such as the GPS60. It appears not. In researching I found a 4 year old topic on Geocaching.com and have revived it here:
Transferring waypoints from one GPS to another? It has links to the Garmin FAQ and GPS Information sites.

I'll also write to Garmin Support asking about it. This feature is well used by field workers and seems a shame to lose. If anyone knows how to transfer from unit to unit the info would be much appreciated. Thanks - Tony.

kiwitonita

Post by kiwitonita » 23 February 06 4:50 pm

Had a bit of a thought - it happens occasionally. Connected a 12XL to a 76CS with a Garmin to Garmin cable and used the "Send WPTS" function on the 12XL to send the waypoints to the flash (and in this case dumber) big brother. Worked very well.

So that's pretty cool. However when telling the GPS 12XL to receive waypoints it looked like it wanted to oblige but transferred none, reporting there were invalid waypoints despite me first making sure they all had less than 6 or less letters and none had geocache or fancy symbols.

The 12XL received tracks - sort of OK - though. Split a continuous track into individual tracks of 1 point each. No doubt there's settings and reasons behind the various behaviors but the main thing is that a bunch of waypoints can be loaded to other GPS's without a 3rd device.