New Garmin 60 CSx

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Grank

New Garmin 60 CSx

Post by Grank » 22 February 06 3:46 pm

Apparently this device has now been released in the UK. It's being discussed in the following forum for any of you that may be interested

http://www.gagb.org.uk/forum/index.php? ... #entry4982

Woolly Bugger

Post by Woolly Bugger » 07 March 06 12:06 pm

Any info when these may be released here???

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 07 March 06 4:11 pm

Not for a few more months yet.

Grank

Post by Grank » 27 March 06 2:17 pm

The Wombles wrote:Much has been written about the accuracy of this SiRF III receiver "x" model so I decided to run a little test of my own at a cache with tree cover. With the help of The Haigies, we took five GPSrs: Garmin Emap, Garmin Etrex, Fortuna GPSmart (a SiRF II receiver), Magellan Sportrak Colour and the 60.

We watched the number of satellites locked on each GPSr and also the claimed accuracy. The variation from one to another was surprising, but we found following levels of performance under light tree cover:

The Emap was worst having a lock of 2-4 satellites, followed by Etrex with typical lock of 4-5 satellites, GPSmart with 6-8 satellites, Sportrak with 7-8 satellites and the 60CSx was best by a mile with an almost continuous full lock on all channels.

Once we got to the cache we spread them out and allowed them to settle. The 60 quickly arrived at it's final decision, claiming coordinates which were the average of the others.

Overall the 60 has really impressed me and I'm completely won over by it's performance.
The Wombles wrote:It's extremely easy to use, the interface is typical Garmin (similar to eTrex and Emap). I've never got on with the Magellan Sportrak interface. Satellite lock time varies from impressive to staggeringly impossibly fast (literally sub-second to lock several satellites), and it can get a lock inside my house which the Sportrak/Etrex/Emap/GPSmart can't do.

I bought mine from GPS Warehouse who supplied it within 24 hours of order. However I note that they've run out of stock at the moment.

It comes with a USB cable and useful belt clip. I've since bought a car mount but didn't bother with the car power cable yet because the battery life is excellent.

For maps I'm currently using Mapsource but will get UK Topo soon when funds permit.

Downsides? The position can jump around (apparently as a result of SiRF III) which is irritating but doesn't stop usability. This could be fixed by Garmin through firmware upgrades later.

Otherwise I still love it and it's sensitivity is fantastic.
MaTruSSDaJ wrote: i bought a 60CSx last month and find it really easy to use (i was a paratrooper, not know for our brains!) it's true about the signal strength, can aquire indoors! whoever heard of that with no extra antenna?
Base map does the job but would get extras if you got the cash.
Definatly worth the £££

BurnieM

Post by BurnieM » 28 March 06 8:39 pm

Woolly Bugger wrote:Any info when these may be released here???
20 April

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 11 August 06 4:25 am

Hi

Looks like I will be in a position to get a new GPSr. Looking at the Garmin 60CSx or the Vista Cx. Thoughts? Particulary interested in the justification of the extra $300 for the 60CSx.

Any users of either model wish to share their experiences?

Thanks
Andrew

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 11 August 06 7:00 am

Aushiker wrote:Hi

Looks like I will be in a position to get a new GPSr. Looking at the Garmin 60CSx or the Vista Cx. Thoughts? Particulary interested in the justification of the extra $300 for the 60CSx.

Any users of either model wish to share their experiences?

Thanks
Andrew
I don't have either model but I would go for the 60 as it has the Sirf 3 chip set in it. It will give a faster and better lock on the sats in thick tree cover or in areas that are hard to get a good accuracy. Anyone with a GPS that has that chip set in will be able to tell you that.

Dooghan

BaldEd
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by BaldEd » 11 August 06 11:29 am

I have a 76CSx which has the same chips as the 60CSx. In one word - Brilliant. Very sensitive - I don't think I will ever need to plug in an external aerial when in dense tree cover, urban canyons etc - locks on from within my house where my other gps's couldn't! Being able to store maps, tracklogs etc on the microSD is a major plus. You will need to get a larger capacity microSD card to store maps etc. e.g. The all NZ Topo map that I have requires 283MB - 2 gig cards are now available.

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 11 August 06 1:39 pm

Hi

Thanks for the feedback. BTW GPSOZ now has Tracks4Australia Topo maps which can be brought pre-loaded on 1 gb card, so getting a bit card sounds like a must now days.

Andrew

Dik:
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 11 August 06 2:51 pm

I love my 60CSx. It was bought on the justification that I wouldn't want to upgrade too soon because it has everything.

But everything does come at a cost. Complete with car mount, power adapter, auto-route software, 512MB memory card, NiMH batteries and charger it added up to over $1200.

Auto route to the cache in the car, then re-calc to off road and straight in. The compass is really good close to GZ once you aren't moving fast enough.

And sat lock is great in places the antique had none.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 11 August 06 5:14 pm

Dik: wrote:I love my 60CSx. It was bought on the justification that I wouldn't want to upgrade too soon because it has everything.

But everything does come at a cost. Complete with car mount, power adapter, auto-route software, 512MB memory card, NiMH batteries and charger it added up to over $1200.

Auto route to the cache in the car, then re-calc to off road and straight in. The compass is really good close to GZ once you aren't moving fast enough.

And sat lock is great in places the antique had none.
Whats money :?:

Dik:

Post by Dik: » 11 August 06 7:04 pm

Mr Router wrote:Whats money :?:
It's what you use to evaluate "you get what you pay for" :idea:

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 11 August 06 7:57 pm

Hi

Second question, is there a Magellan equivalent to the 60CSx?

Andrew

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 12 August 06 6:55 am

Aushiker wrote:Hi

Second question, is there a Magellan equivalent to the 60CSx?

Andrew
Magellan :?:

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 12 August 06 1:29 pm

Mr Router wrote:Magellan :?:
mmm for the unwashed visit http://www.nextdestination.com.au/ 8)

Andrew