Australian Waypoints and Summaries back up

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Rob Nielsen

Australian Waypoints and Summaries back up

Post by Rob Nielsen » 31 July 03 2:07 pm

Hi. Just thought I'd let you know that I've finally updated
my Geocaching Waypoints page at

http://www.roblisa.com/geocache/

for the geocaching.com format change and will be again regularly updating the data files. If you don't know what it is, it lets you download waypoint files in a number of formats (Garmin MapSource, OziExplorer, Waypoint+, EasyGPS, CVS) containing the cache waypoints for all of Australia or on a state by state basis. It can also differentiate or remove caches that you have found already.

A complimentary function is also available which summarizes cache pages for printing, on a slow connection, or for handhelds.

Let me know if you have any problems or if you would like another format added.

Cheers,
Rob.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 01 August 03 10:21 am

This is great, although I could not get the summary function to work. It sat there for a while, and then came back with a blank page.

Rob Nielsen

Post by Rob Nielsen » 01 August 03 10:41 am

Hi. Give it another go now. The proxy I was using seems to have died.
Cheers,
Rob.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 01 August 03 12:34 pm

Looks good. I really like the 1 line summary of the last 6 logs.

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Just what I needed!!

Post by Slider & Smurf » 01 August 03 8:36 pm

Thanks Rob, I had a look at the results last night and the html summaries look really useful.<br>
<br>
One thing I did notice was the summaries didn't indicate when a cache was temporarily offline, might lead to a few wild goose chases :shock: <br>
<br>
Also, is it possible to add an option to decode the hints automatically? Including the decode key on individual pages is handy, but I'm getting lazy these days :wink:

Rob Nielsen

Post by Rob Nielsen » 01 August 03 11:11 pm

Hi. Ok, I'll have a look at the offline thing. For the decoding, just add &decrypt=y to the URL. I should probably add a form element for that.

Cheers,
Rob.

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Yay!!

Post by Slider & Smurf » 01 August 03 11:43 pm

Thanks Rob!! :D

ideology

Post by ideology » 01 August 03 11:49 pm

hey rob
that's excellent!
updating the database on this site has been a real hassle
are you open to allowing us to grab the data off your site rather than the secondary site?

alex
1550 or more caches found

Post by alex » 01 August 03 11:53 pm

When I select "Found Caches Only" I get caches I have hidden, is this a design feature or just the way I'm twisting the figures. When I select "Unfound caches Only" I get all except my hiddens.
Is there something I'm not doing right?

Rob Nielsen

Post by Rob Nielsen » 02 August 03 12:13 am

Ideology: Yes, I'm fine with that. I'm assuming you're after the cache lists. If it was the summaries you are after, it probably wouldn't be a good idea as it passes the requests straight on to geocaching.com and they seem to have some sort of filters in place to block IPs that access too much. I still have to play with it a bit as It seems to be messing some queries up now.

Alex: Not sure if this is what you are getting but the design at the moment is Found Caches are caches you have found and caches you have hidden and unfound caches are everything else. Is this what you are seeing? I could add another option of Hidden caches but I haven't found anyone else who wants it.

Cheers,
Rob.

alex

Post by alex » 04 August 03 1:15 am

I just rechecked. When I request 'Found Caches' I get my hiddens. When I select 'Unfound' I get both unfound and found (but not hidden).
Other parameters select are SA and .wpt.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 05 August 03 11:59 am

Any chance of a possible enhancement to the waypoint downloads?
<p>It would be great to have the option of using the cache name (e.g. "The Pulpit") as the waypoint name in the download, rather than the cache's waypoint name (e.g. "GCGAWD").
<p>Also, any chance of having the option of using different colours for different types of caches (for file formats that support that)? e.g. One colour for multi-caches, one for normal, one for event caches etc.

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 05 August 03 9:53 pm

Ebenezer wrote: <p>It would be great to have the option of using the cache name (e.g. "The Pulpit") as the waypoint name in the download, rather than the cache's waypoint name (e.g. "GCGAWD").
<p>
Problem with that is when you get two caches called "the pulpit 1" and "the pulpit 2" in your gpsr it saves them as "the pu" the second cache then overides the first and you only get one of them.
<p>
It would be better if identical cache names were re written as "the p1" and "the p2"

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 06 August 03 2:34 pm

embi wrote: Problem with that is when you get two caches called "the pulpit 1" and "the pulpit 2" in your gpsr it saves them as "the pu" the second cache then overides the first and you only get one of them.
Ah. So that's why I couldn't find it! :)

Rob Nielsen

Cache name as waypoint

Post by Rob Nielsen » 15 August 03 7:22 pm

Hi. Sorry for the delay. Ok, I've had a go at renaming the waypoints with the cache name. Some of the names end up a bit ugly (especially if you only have 6 chars) but you should be able to work it out if you have the full name to compare with.

For your example, the two caches should appear as 'thepu1' and 'thepu2'.
Let me know if you have any problems.

Alex: Yes, it wasn't getting the whole list but I didn't catch it because it worked for my username. Probably because you have more than 20 hidden. Anyway, should work now.

Cheers,
Rob.

alex