Music CD not being read in drive

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Music CD not being read in drive

Post by GIN51E » 27 January 06 10:49 pm

ok well i got myself a CD Coldplay XY, but the copyright software on the CD is so good that you can't access the cd at all on the computer. Even if you look at the property's of the cd it says there is zero bytes on the CD. in which i can't even listen to the CD on the computer. now my problem is i can't get the songs off the CD to put onto my iPod so why buy a CD if i can't even take the songs off the Cd for my iPod which is for my own personal use?

so does anyone know how to get around this or do i have to go back to the Music shop and give them the bloody CD back as its of no use to me now.?
Last edited by GIN51E on 28 January 06 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 27 January 06 10:55 pm

Seems strange....I have got my XY cd on my ipod...I had no issues.

Now I just have to wait to see them in July... :)

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 27 January 06 11:13 pm

well why is it the only CD my computer wont read? the computer thinks its a blank disc.

stupid bloody technology

embi

Post by embi » 27 January 06 11:15 pm

I have no idea..... I'll email you the songs :)

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 27 January 06 11:28 pm

Please don't suggest copying, breaking protection and sending songs in a public forum. It could get you into much trouble, especially the breaking protection bit.

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 27 January 06 11:32 pm

thanks mate but i've got it, now i'm angry with Samsung the Samsung DVD drive wont read the CD at all but i just remembered i had an old USB external cd burner, plugged that in and its now working.

stupid computers :!: plugged the external Cd drive in and the computer wouldn't talk to the drive, pulled it out and plugged it into another USB port then it worked. shouldn't all USB ports do the exact same thing why do some things work in one port and not in another :evil:

i'm going to put my foot through this computer one day.

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 27 January 06 11:34 pm

Chwiliwr wrote:Please don't suggest copying, breaking protection and sending songs in a public forum. It could get you into much trouble, especially the breaking protection bit.
but if he owns the CD and sends it to someone else who also owns the exact same CD what is wrong with that? we have both paid for the rights to use the songs and there for we are just using them between each other

Chwiliwr

Post by Chwiliwr » 27 January 06 11:38 pm

GIN51E wrote: shouldn't all USB ports do the exact same thing why do some things work in one port and not in another :evil:

i'm going to put my foot through this computer one day.
Like all connectors some get damaged. Thay may be the reason one will work and one won't. Also the connectors do get 'dirty/coroded' and it may have taken the pushing in and out a couple of times for the connector to actually connect properly. You may well find that putting it back into the original USB will work now.

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 27 January 06 11:43 pm

nope doesn't work in either now :lol:
i'm not even going to bother trying to understand the reason behind it, i've done what i had to do i'll worry about that next time i pull it out of the cubboard in a years time.

embi

Post by embi » 27 January 06 11:47 pm

Chwiliwr wrote:Please don't suggest copying, breaking protection and sending songs in a public forum. It could get you into much trouble, especially the breaking protection bit.
Get a life....I had no intention of emailing about 72Mb of files.....It was a joke...

Chwiliwr

Post by Chwiliwr » 28 January 06 12:03 am

GIN51E wrote:
but if he owns the CD and sends it to someone else who also owns the exact same CD what is wrong with that? we have both paid for the rights to use the songs and there for we are just using them between each other
Apart from the obvious question on how do each of you know that the other does actually have a 'real' original CD there are other issues involved.

Only a legal person should advise you fully on the laws but your statements could leave you open to an investigation and you do NOT want to have one started on any mistaken belief of 'I am right'. Can you really afford to have ALL your electronic equipment taken away from you even if you may be found right in the end.

There has been a lot of publicity recently in the computer magazines about the legality of trying to bypass copyright protection and your subject title immediately caught my eye because of that.

embi
I have a life thank you and a past part of it was investigating some poor bloke that said something in jest that was taken the wrong way. He ended up loosing his business and partner as a result.

In the context of what was written it didn't sound like a joke and with broadband it wasn't unbelievable for someone to do.

embi

Post by embi » 28 January 06 12:13 am

Maybe the get a life comment was a bit full on...I apologise...

I have had a shit week of 12hr shifts in a 50oC+ Kitchen with 18yr old shithead apprentices. I'm a little tense cos I cant sleep and I'm back at work in a few hrs....

Chwiliwr

Post by Chwiliwr » 28 January 06 12:40 am

embi wrote:Maybe the get a life comment was a bit full on...I apologise...

I have had a shit week of 12hr shifts in a 50oC+ Kitchen with 18yr old shithead apprentices. I'm a little tense cos I cant sleep and I'm back at work in a few hrs....
Thankyou for the apology. It is hard sometimes to tell if something is said in jest when all you have is the words on a display and because of my previous job background I tend to take things said literally unless I see smiley or something that indicates otherwise.

I was really only concerned what would happen to either of you if some of TPTB in the music world found the comments and decided that you were an easy target because of them.

I have just had a thought that if the title of the message was changed to somehting like 'Help required for music CD not being read in drive' it may help.

I wouldn't like what happened to that bloke I mentioned to happen to anyone else unless they were really doing something criminal. Even talking about how to bypass copy protection may be illegal now according to some of the legal opinions in the mags.

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 28 January 06 2:13 am

For those of you who are looking to get music a little cheaper than CD's from the shops, hop onto http://www.allofmp3.com. It has mostly everything from Old to new but not all of the aussie stuff.

You can download albums cheaply, and legally. For anywhere between $1.50 - $4AUD depending on how many tracks and what quality you select.

As for the illegal stuff, I have no problem of people sending files to others privately via email etc.

What I have a problem with is when people sell copied videos in the markets for $10 - $20 each and the quality is garbage. These are the guys that deserve the foot up the @r$e.

And if your drive wont read a cd (they should at least read all copy protected materials) I might suggest you buy a simple laser cleaning CD I believe JB should have them. It has worked with me before.

With the subject on cracking and breaking protection, I agree the public forums are not the place. There are computer forums that will have all those subjects in it.

Matto

Oz Digger

Post by Oz Digger » 28 January 06 12:21 pm

Chwiliwr wrote:Even talking about how to bypass copy protection may be illegal now according to some of the legal opinions in the mags.
We really are becoming a police state, aren't we? :x