Music CD not being read in drive

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 28 January 06 2:04 pm

xf king wrote:For those of you who are looking to get music a little cheaper than CD's from the shops, hop onto http://www.allofmp3.com. It has mostly everything from Old to new but not all of the aussie stuff.

You can download albums cheaply, and legally. For anywhere between $1.50 - $4AUD depending on how many tracks and what quality you select.
Hmm.. they might be legal to sell, but is it legal to buy them?
i.e. there's a loophole in Russian law, but the law's different here.

I don't give a stuff, but just don't assume that you've got a legal music collection; you might not have.

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 28 January 06 2:50 pm

those with iPods would know it but iTunes is great, have just about every song you can look for on it. $1.69 a song on average $17 an album and you can lissten to 30sec of each song to see if its the song you want. plus go to major shops and buy a pre paid iTunes card so you don't even need a credit card.

i'm never going to buy a cd again, cheaper to buy the cd off the net as a mp3 which is better for me as all my CD's end up on the computer anyway then filled away in a cubboard

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 28 January 06 11:43 pm

GIN51E wrote: i'm never going to buy a cd again, cheaper to buy the cd off the net as a mp3
Just don't go crying to Apple if a HDD crash wipes your collection! :cry:

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 29 January 06 12:05 am

haha, well I do have 12gb of music which has been collected over many years. All is backed with a ghost program every 2nd week, so I wont lose much.

Also if somebody is legally selling something, I believe I can purchase anything that is legally sellable.

There is also many other Aussie sites including Ninemsn and Yahoo music which also sell legal Files cheaper than the shops.

If Cd's were sold at a resonablke price yes I would go out and buy original cd's they are just way to expensive and radio plays too many ads and talks crap for most of the day.

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 29 January 06 9:28 am

Damo. wrote:
GIN51E wrote: i'm never going to buy a cd again, cheaper to buy the cd off the net as a mp3
Just don't go crying to Apple if a HDD crash wipes your collection! :cry:
7Gig of songs on my secondary hard drive in the computer which are also stored on DVD discs

juzmac
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by juzmac » 29 January 06 1:00 pm

Just to throw my 2c worth...

There has been some recent discussions regarding downloading songs from iTunes, Bigpond music, etc as to whether you are allowed to download them again (without paying again) if your PC crashes... There are arguments fore and against however I guess it's up to the pollies we elected to make that decision :roll: ....

As to the age old question of buying CDs or purchasing a digital copy... If I can get the CD for a similar price - I'll buy the CD.....

GIN51E: Re; USB port problems - I'd say Chwiliwr was spot on the money saying it was probably the USB port that is stuffed. However, another thing to consider is which USB port were you using - ie one on the back of the motherboard - or an external USB cabled back to the motherboard (ie the front or spare PCI slot at the back of the PC case)? It could be a loose cable on the connector or a number of other things...

Good to see that you got it all working again though as that's the main thing!!! :wink:

Cheers
Justin

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 29 January 06 10:15 pm

For those that really do need our computers for banking, paying bills, running a business (oh, and caching) a little pointer on some of the more recent CD's.
If you are in the habit of converting CD's to MP3's (yeah, yeah I know it is technically illegal in Australia) and don't want to have any auto-install software botch your computer when you try to remove it please rememebr you can hold down the shift key when putting in copy protected CD's which will stop the auto-play feature on Windo$e PC's.
(Normally I wouldn't post about this sort of stuff but Sony's recent major stuff up with illegal software really pissed me off. If I did what they did I would be in jail in a few countries around the world for about 5 years)

And the reason I noticed this post was my wife got the X&Y CD and I noticed the attempted copy protection software load when it was put in the main PC.

BTW, anyone found a geocaching podcast yet?

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 29 January 06 10:32 pm

Zytheran wrote:...BTW, anyone found a geocaching podcast yet?
http://www.podcacher.com/