GPX file users, be on the lookout new gc.com waypoints

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 01 February 06 12:41 am

djcache wrote:In a few months to a year or so you may not be able to fit Berwick in in one file.
This will happen eventually anyway, even without the waypoint coords.

I was in Arizona a year or so ago and thought I'd load up the caches. There were well over 3,000 in Az. And Az is an _empty_ place of deserts and stuff, like most of Australia! I can't imagine what it must be like in, say, California...

Most of the major states here have now passed the 500 limit, and that's only going to accelerate.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 01 February 06 6:31 am

Bear_Left wrote:
djcache wrote:In a few months to a year or so you may not be able to fit Berwick in in one file.
This will happen eventually anyway, even without the waypoint coords.

I was in Arizona a year or so ago and thought I'd load up the caches. There were well over 3,000 in Az. And Az is an _empty_ place of deserts and stuff, like most of Australia! I can't imagine what it must be like in, say, California...

Most of the major states here have now passed the 500 limit, and that's only going to accelerate.
When I was in California back in 2002 there was over 2000 caches then, as of today there is 25166 caches, 1259 pages of caches on GC....... Just for California :shock:

Grank

Post by Grank » 01 February 06 8:18 am

so if you laid every cache in the world end to end it would reach to ....

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 01 February 06 11:19 pm

But they just go stupid over there with dumb ideas like making a chain of caches that goes the entire length of the country. And typical cache descriptions like "if you like park and grabs for numbers, then you'll like this series. Nothing especially scenic or interesting here, just another smiley. Bring your own pencil. Enjoy." Series of 6! :roll:

djcache
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Post by djcache » 01 February 06 11:40 pm

Hmmm. Their apprentices have moved to Berwick.

DJ

The Ginger Loon
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by The Ginger Loon » 02 February 06 12:38 am

There seems to be a glitch in the way these additional Waypoints are generated. I though I'd open GSAK to have a look primarily to see how many additional Waypoints I'd caught in my PQs and also to see how they plotted and there fore to determine my stategy for handling them.

The Problem

It's probably best if I give the GC Codes to help explain it.

I have captured 2 additional waypoints, CLQ56R & CLP156. Both of these waypoints show exactly the same set of coordinates, but appear to be for different caches.

One is GCQ56R (G'day Beautiful) by Mix and the other is GCP156 (What price progress?) by Grank.

Given that Mix's cache is 113 km from my home and Grank's is a mere 47km I think it's safe to say that CLQ56R is a furphy. Additionally there is another waypoint, PKQ56R, that appears to be the correct one for Mix's cache.

This is not the only case. There is also a problem with additional Waypoints for GCKHBN (Hidden History 7) and GCHZ7M (Hidden History 6), this time both by Riblit.

I think I may start deleting the additional waypoints from my GSAK db and not load any more until this issue is addressed/resolved.

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 02 February 06 2:08 am

If you look at each of those caches individually the waypoints are all different and the individual GPX files show them as different locations.

One recent file from a PQ of mine that actually contained additional waypoints from two different caches loaded correctly in GSAK for me when I put them into a test database.

I don't normally load these additional waypoints into anything but a GPSr and don't use GSAK normally so can't help further. There was some talk in another forum about geting GSAK not to load these files automatically or if it does to load them into a different database than whatever a persons main one is.

It is either GSAK not doing the import correctly or the PQ version of the additional waypoints file not correct but only you could tell from looking at your PQ files and seeing if the 'wpts' file has the correct info. If it is the PQ's that are wrong I'm sure TPTB would like to know of it. If it is GSAK then you may need to advise Clyde.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 02 February 06 9:13 am

Grank wrote:so if you laid every cache in the world end to end it would reach to ....
S33 E151, approximately, as long as you start at the right point. :p

- Rog

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 02 February 06 9:55 am

Hi

This may have been picked up already, so if so, my apologies, but I notice with the lastest update of GASK, came out yesterday, you now have the choice of not uploading the additional waypoints when importing a PQ update.

Seems a handy mod to me.

Andrew

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 02 February 06 10:15 am

The Ginger Loon wrote:There seems to be a glitch in the way these additional Waypoints are generated. I though I'd open GSAK to have a look primarily to see how many additional Waypoints I'd caught in my PQs and also to see how they plotted and there fore to determine my stategy for handling them.
I just checked two here, the coords are different in the PQ additional waypoints file ( I picked two from the same file) and are different in GSAK Vers 6.5.2

What version GSAK are you using?

Aushiker
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 02 February 06 1:21 pm

Hi

Just got this from GSAK:
However, it also includes a new feature that will allow you to ignore the new supplementary waypoints that are now automatically being provided by GroundSpeak.

GroundSpeak have recently added a new feature that allows you to associate and enter extra coordinates with a cache. These may be parking coordinates, stages of a multi, just about anything you can think of. Unfortunately when you load these into GSAK they just show up as extra waypoints in your database (which is what they are), with no automatic link back to the master cache. Many users find this confusing and would rather the new coordinates did not pollute the database in this way. You now have the ability to stop these extra waypoints from loading into GSAK. Just tick the new box "Exclude extra Waypoints" on GPX load.

Better support for these new waypoints will come in future versions, with GSAK creating a parent child type relationship between the master cache and the additional waypoints.
Looks promising.

Andrew

The Ginger Loon

Post by The Ginger Loon » 03 February 06 10:28 pm

riblit wrote:
The Ginger Loon wrote:There seems to be a glitch in the way these additional Waypoints are generated. I though I'd open GSAK to have a look primarily to see how many additional Waypoints I'd caught in my PQs and also to see how they plotted and there fore to determine my stategy for handling them.
I just checked two here, the coords are different in the PQ additional waypoints file ( I picked two from the same file) and are different in GSAK Vers 6.5.2

What version GSAK are you using?
I was using GSAK Ver 6.5.0 Build 57. I deleted the offending waypoints, installed GSAK 6.5.2 Build 16 and reloaded the PQs. The extra waypoints came in with no duplicate co-ords, so all looks well. I then deleted the waypoints again and checked the "Exclude extra waypoints box" and reloaded the PQs (as a test). Now I'm extra waypoint free! Yippee!!!

Thanks for all your help...

TeamAstro
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by TeamAstro » 03 February 06 11:15 pm

What am I missing??

When I extract my PQ, I get 2 gpx files. One that I want (the caches) and the other the extra (multi) wpt file. I don't bother doing anything with that. ???

Astro.........

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 February 06 11:17 pm

If you don't want the extra WP's in GSAK, correct.

Some people use GSAK to open the ZIP file which will then auto load both the caches and the additional WP's.