Free Geoscience Australia Series 2 Topo maps

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 10 October 03 12:09 pm

Hi. It seems that you can now download the Series 2 topo maps from Geoscience Australia for free. See <a href="http://www.ga.gov.au/bin/mapserv36?map= ... 0">here</a>. I have not tried any yet, but they seem to come in a couple of formats that Ozi Explorer should be able to import.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 10 October 03 7:58 pm

Cool.
I haven't heard of any of those formats though.
Can they be converted easily to standard image files?

EcoDave :)

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 13 October 03 12:22 pm

EcoTeam wrote:Cool.
I haven't heard of any of those formats though.
Can they be converted easily to standard image files?
I didn't look into it that much, just enough to see that Ozi can import the file formats.

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 13 October 03 9:07 pm

Hi
I don't think this works for WA,
try zooming and choosing a map no in WA?
Andrew

alex
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by alex » 14 October 03 12:53 am

(ad break - 14 decibels louder than the program) Of course you could buy the just-released version 3 from your favourite map shop. A seamless Australia wide image of the latest 1:250,000 scale paper maps - all 513 of them in one easy to use package. Just imagine - no more annoying edges, no "battle at the corner of four maps". Works great with OziExplorer (also available from your Map Shop). But wait! There's more! Not only the scanned maps but national Satellite coverage as well, free with every copy. And if you order right now you'll also get the 1:1million and 1:5million mosaics as well! As paper maps you would pay over $4,500 but this special offer is only $99.00. Why would you bother stealing unreliable data or wasting good caching time with slow downloads when you can have all this for just $99.00. Available at good map shops everywhere (but particularly Carto Graphics, Adelaide). ... (program resumes, volume drops)

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 14 October 03 9:05 am

alex wrote:
...you can have all this for just $99.00 Available at good map shops everywhere (but particularly Carto Graphics, Adelaide)
I get 10% discount at the map shop in Parramatta and no delivery charges.<br>

Your turn.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 14 October 03 9:44 am

alex wrote:Why would you bother stealing unreliable data
Note that if you download the old series 2 data from Geoscience Australia you are not stealing it, but $99 for series 3 is probably money well spent. From all accounts I have heard the series 3 maps are much improved.

daz1950

Post by daz1950 » 14 October 03 10:49 am

riblit wrote:alex wrote:
...you can have all this for just $99.00 Available at good map shops everywhere (but particularly Carto Graphics, Adelaide)
I get 10% discount at the map shop in Parramatta and no delivery charges.<br>

Your turn.
<br>$90 at GPSOZ including postage.<br>

Cheers, Darrell

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 20 October 03 8:58 am

Ebenezer wrote:I didn't look into it that much, just enough to see that Ozi can import the file formats.
Hmm. I see that the MapTech files don't seem to include the image file that Ozi wants for import. I wonder if that was intentional?

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 23 October 03 12:43 am

I have used the GA maps to load into my Garmin eTrex Legend and get around needing MapSource. I downloaded the GIS shapefiles from Geoscience Australia (http://www.ga.gov.au/bin/mapserv36?map= ... ap_gaz_y=0), ran it through mapedit088b (http://kgy.narod.ru/util/mapedit/mapedit_e.htm), saved as Polish text, run that through GPSmap (http://kgy.narod.ru/util/mapedit/mapedit_e.htm) to converted to a .img file and then used sendmap.exe (same website as last one) to load into the unit.

Time consuming and takes work, but it's free and works quite good. I can now see where hills, roads and streams are in relation to waypoints.

Currently putting together a decent map of Canberra and surrounds for myself (naming some roads and regions). When I get my act together I'll write more detailed instruction. I am happy to provide the .img file for ACT when finished and swap maps of other regions with others.

Simple isn't it

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 23 October 03 2:05 pm

Any idea if mapedit can export to any raster formats other than a Garmin .img file? I had a look at the web page - it says that mapedit can export to Ozi .map format, but I'm not sure if that includes generating a raster image to go with the .map file.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 23 October 03 3:46 pm

Not sure as I've only concentrated on what I needed - bit like searching for a cache in the dark :?

Try this page as it has some good informataion: http://www.keenpeople.com/index.php?opt ... 0&Itemid=3