Magellan User's Regarding Discover Aus

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Magellan User's Regarding Discover Aus

Post by GIN51E » 22 December 05 7:53 pm

Many of you out there using Discover Aus software would be aware that there is a new version, Discover Aus Topo which is currently only available on a pre loaded SD card.

In February they will release it in CD form for your computer along with the SD card, so why buy now when if you wait you can get the computer software also.

On top of all that if you currently have Discover Aus on your computer already then don't go to a GPS shop to purchase the new Topo software as you will be able to buy the topo software update from Next Destination to upgrade your standard Discover Aus software to the new Topo version, which will be a cheaper alternative.

Cheers GIN51E

stickler
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen

Post by stickler » 23 December 05 6:34 pm

As owner of the Topo SD card, I understand that when the CD version does arrive, current owners can receive the CD for $0.

TeamAstro
5000 or more caches found

Post by TeamAstro » 13 January 06 3:39 pm

Magellan Standard Software Update V5.34 (for Sportrak Pro)

Does anyone know if I upload this as per instructions do I wipe the basic Aussie map that comes with the Unit. I don't want to wipe this. As well, what does it do over the V4.03 that I have.

thanx in anticipation.

clear skies
Astro.

(could not find more appropriate threat and did not want to start a new one!!)

Grank

Post by Grank » 13 January 06 3:57 pm

stickler wrote:As owner of the Topo SD card, I understand that when the CD version does arrive, current owners can receive the CD for $0.
I'm still wondering how they will know to send it to me, or even advise me. I haven't found any distinguishing feature that says "I can prove I own it" other than actually sending them the actual SD card. Even registering as an owner does not require entry of any serial numbers etc ... maybe I will rely on the gca telegraph initially for the advice and go from there.

rogainer
500 or more caches logged

Post by rogainer » 13 January 06 5:15 pm

Grank wrote:I'm still wondering how they will know to send it to me, or even advise me.
<br>
When I bought my Explorist XL and Discover Aus topo last week (from Olbis in Brisbane). The salesman said keep an eye on the Next destination web site and when they announce the release of the PC software, give them a call (olbis) to see if they have the software in yet. If they do, just pop in with my receipt and they will give me a CD.
<br>
<br>
Apparently there will be 2 versions of the discover aus topo licence. The salesman did explain it to me, but I can't remember what the differences were - something to do with licencing it for your PC or GPS.
<br>
<br>

Incidently, Discover Aus Topo is exactly the reason I opted for the Magellan line of GPS's. From what I understand, there is no equivalent available for Garmin. Viewing 5m contours on the screen of my XL is brilliant.

The Explorer

Post by The Explorer » 21 January 06 1:17 pm

TeamAstro wrote:Magellan Standard Software Update V5.34 (for Sportrak Pro)

Does anyone know if I upload this as per instructions do I wipe the basic Aussie map that comes with the Unit. I don't want to wipe this. As well, what does it do over the V4.03 that I have.

thanx in anticipation.

clear skies
Astro.

(could not find more appropriate threat and did not want to start a new one!!)
Hello - basemap is not affected by firmware upgrade.
Cheers
Greg

TeamAstro

Post by TeamAstro » 21 January 06 6:31 pm

thanx Greg. I contacted Next Gen and they confirmed that (after asking around the office a bit). Wonder where the base map is stored in the unit??? Must be a factory thing.

Anyone got the TOPO version yet of Discover OZ on CD yet ... and how much $$. Sounds good.

clear skies, Astro

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 21 January 06 7:56 pm

TeamAstro wrote: Wonder where the base map is stored in the unit??? Must be a factory thing.
There's a YahooGroup with all sorts of info, including instructions for changing the basemap.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Magellan_Meridian/

(I particularly liked the option of changing one of the startup screens of my MeriGreen to have my details on it instead of Magellan legalistic crap!)

rogainer

Post by rogainer » 08 February 06 3:13 pm

Just got off the phone to Next Destination.
I was advised by a salesperson that an application to view the Discover Aus Topo data on your PC will be available as a free download in June...

From what I understand it will read the data directly from the SD card - originally they were planning to release a CD with the data on it, but this has been abandoned apparently.

Bummer, I was waiting impatiently for a February release.

Grank

Post by Grank » 08 February 06 3:22 pm

rogainer wrote:Bummer, I was waiting impatiently for a February release.
Maybe they also realised that they have no way of contacting or validating the people that curently have the SD card in order to send out a CD. Hopefuly it will be a copy of your Sd card to PC and then an update rather than a full download ... especially if you don't have broadband or better.

It will also be good to see if some of the "unamed" roads will have a name in the updated version - particularly the ones that have a name already in my 2003 UBD street directory :)

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 09 April 06 10:33 pm

the new Topo software, can anyone tell me if it has the new M7 motorway on it? (give me an idea as to how upto date it is)

also do you have the option to turn off the contour lines?

rogainer

Post by rogainer » 10 April 06 9:34 am

M7 - No
<br>Contours off - Yes

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 10 April 06 6:28 pm

rogainer wrote:M7 - No
<br>Contours off - Yes
Cheers,

no M7 thats pathetic

rogainer

Post by rogainer » 20 August 08 9:10 am

Discover Aus topo has now been updated to V2.27 (data current as of May 08 )

http://www.nextdestination.com.au/Pages ... ?NewsId=33

Upgrade price is $150