Garmin 60 Automotive Mount - The Auxillary Connector

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
c.j.b

Garmin 60 Automotive Mount - The Auxillary Connector

Post by c.j.b » 20 December 05 2:18 pm

One of the Christmas presents for the geocaching Girlfriend, I ordered and bought the appriate Garmin Automotive mount for her 60CS, so we don't have to rely on a dashboard cupholder. :)

Unfortunately, it needs a knob to fasten the GPSr to the mount... which it didn't include. And unfortunately again, the girlfriend trashed the packaging, so it can't be returned. :-/

Looking over the 60CS's online manual, it appears this aux connector knob is supposed to be included with the GPS unit, as a part of the supplied belt connector-- which she can't find (I have a sneaking suspicion she trashed everything with the GPSr too...including the manuals :-/). Did any other 60/60C/60CS owners get this knob, which attaches to the threaded point between the weatherproof connectors on the back?

Failing that... I don't suppose there's any chance of it being available seperately... (I've seen photos of the bikecycle mount showing the knob..)

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 20 December 05 2:49 pm

Time for a new girlfriend??? :P

Postman Pat
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

mounts

Post by Postman Pat » 20 December 05 2:57 pm

You might like to try JonnyApplesead there main branch is in brisbane

c.j.b

Re: mounts

Post by c.j.b » 20 December 05 3:29 pm

You might like to try JonnyApplesead there main branch is in brisbane

All I really want to know is if the knob was supplied with the GPS.

Inside the mount appears to be a standard 'machine thread', so I could make up a replacement knob from bits I have on my eletronics bench ... if I can convince her to tolerate a non-brand item that was lovingly crafted by her boyfriend... (hmm.. Swampy might be onto something.. :P)

BurnieM

Post by BurnieM » 21 December 05 10:32 pm

Yes the knob and the belt clip it goes into are standard with the GPSmap 60

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 23 December 05 8:05 pm

(I have a sneaking suspicion she trashed everything with the GPSr too...including the manuals :-/).
Yes, I own a GPS Map60. Belt knob and clip was included. Why why why would anyone throw out a GPS that works??

SteelRat

Post by SteelRat » 23 December 05 10:39 pm

As a 60 owner, I can say that it is very important that you keep your knob. Silliness aside, I can also say that the little screw in knob that allows the 60 to attach to beltclips, various bracket mounts and so on, is exactly the same as the knobs that do the same job on some mobile phones. They are roughly 10mm thick, about 12mm in diameter, and have a profile like a squashed cotton reel. I'd suggest checking with some mobile phone places for a possible quick fix.

c.j.b

Post by c.j.b » 24 December 05 12:38 am

SteelRat wrote:They are roughly 10mm thick, about 12mm in diameter, and have a profile like a squashed cotton reel.
It looks like Dick Smiths have a large banana-plug socket mount (cat# P1733) that'll do the job as a replacement.

hydroflare

Post by hydroflare » 24 December 05 3:37 pm

I had one of those shear off on the belt clip (so I don't use it any more). I priced a replacement from Electrophone through GPSOZ. I think it was about $30 for the clip and knob. Since I wasn't happy with the way it just snapped off I decided to use the old lanyard-around-the-neck option instead.