Connecting a Geko to a non-serial port PC

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Oz Digger

Connecting a Geko to a non-serial port PC

Post by Oz Digger » 14 December 05 1:41 am

Hi, I have recently bought my first laptop. Since my desktop is a bit of a clunker I find that I use my laptop for most things now. I have been attaching my Garmin Geko 201 to my desk-top via a serial port. My laptop does not have a serial port. Is it simply a case of buying a USB to serial converter or is it a little more complicated than that? Thanks

Suitman
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Suitman » 14 December 05 7:48 am

Yes. I run my Gecko 201 to my serial-port-less laptop via a serial to USB converter and it works faultlessly.

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 14 December 05 11:39 am

Suitman wrote:Yes. I run my Gecko 201 to my serial-port-less laptop via a serial to USB converter and it works faultlessly.
Same here with my Geko 301.

Andrew

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Re: Connecting a Geko to a non-serial port PC

Post by Mr Router » 14 December 05 3:57 pm

Oz Digger wrote: My laptop does not have a serial port. Is it simply a case of buying a USB to serial converter or is it a little more complicated than that? Thanks
You will probably have to load a driver off a CD but hey things dont get to much harder :!:

Oz Digger

Post by Oz Digger » 14 December 05 7:58 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I was passing a computer shop today and decided to pop in and ask how much a converter would cost. I was flabbergasted when the reply was $40... :shock: I think the one for $17 (inc postage) from Hong Kong on eBay will do just as well.

dajjct
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by dajjct » 15 December 05 8:40 am

I think the one for $17 (inc postage) from Hong Kong on eBay will do just as well.
<P>
Don't bet on it - bought one of those and had no luck getting it to work. Bought one from http://www.dontronics.com/index.html, nearly $60, but works every time. No hassle to install and Aussie bassed.

Aushiker
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 15 December 05 12:33 pm

Oz Digger wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. I was passing a computer shop today and decided to pop in and ask how much a converter would cost. I was flabbergasted when the reply was $40... :shock: I think the one for $17 (inc postage) from Hong Kong on eBay will do just as well.
Try Dick Smith or Jaycar ...

Andrew

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 15 December 05 4:33 pm

Oz Digger wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. I was passing a computer shop today and decided to pop in and ask how much a converter would cost. I was flabbergasted when the reply was $40... :shock: I think the one for $17 (inc postage) from Hong Kong on eBay will do just as well.
Average price is around 35-45 anymore and you are being done! dont trust the cheapies :twisted:

Oz Digger

Post by Oz Digger » 25 January 06 1:39 pm

Just a bit of an update on this subject. I was recently in Malaysia and picked up a usb to serial converter for less than $18. So far it has performed faultlessly. I will be travelling to and from Malaysia regularly this year so if anybody would like one let me know.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 25 January 06 8:15 pm

If anyone is interested I have one that sells for $25.00.
I use two of them, one for my laptop and one to connect my GPS to ozi on the desktop machine ( I use the serial ports for other things).