T610 phone & internet access????

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found

T610 phone & internet access????

Post by Team Pathfinder » 03 October 03 5:18 pm

OK stop laughing now and help me out here. Not in to technical terms either, please.
Problem - when we travel down to Perth on hols we take the laptop etc etc but dont often get the chance to connect it to a phone line to access the net. - See the problem arising - withdrawals from GC. Not to mention the fact that we get back home and find that there were a heap of new caches we could have found if we had of known!! Frustration, especially when we live in a remote area with little geocaching activity.

I ramble, but then I am a female. Keep that in mind when you answer the following question. Which incidentally was the reason for this post.

I bought the latest and greatest (well maybe) SE T610 phone and it has internet access. I can get the GC page but am wondering if there is a way I can find out the co-ords of caches.

Do any of you use your phones for this purpose and if so how?

Thanks for your time in reading all of this - happy geocaching

Sue Team : Pathfinder
Karratha Western Australia

tolmh

Post by tolmh » 03 October 03 8:05 pm

Hi Sue<p>

I downloaded all the .loc files for caches within 150km of Canberra and uploaded them to our SporTrak Pro. It only took a few seconds with EasyGPS (available free - the link is at gc.com). This way, we can switch the GPS on at any time, see what's around, and grab any caches :)<p>

Of course, this won't work if your GPS doesn't have a data cable. Even if it does, we quickly realised (after finding ourselves climbing a barbed wire fence and scrambling across a railway track during a 'spontaneous' hunt :oops:) that it helps to have the extra descriptive info from gc.com.<p>

Hazel printed out a booklet of all the caches I'd downloaded, then used a photocopier to convert it to booklet format. Now we just look at the code on the GPS, check out the booklet (it lives in the glovebox) and away we go. Saves us hunting around for an hour, only to get home and find out it was a virtual cache :roll:. If you just want coordinates, download the waypoints from gc.com, load the .loc files in EasyGPS and print them out in one go.<p>

Incidentally, how is net access on the 610? We've got one, but haven't got round to setting it up properly yet.<p>

Cheers<p>
Matt

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 04 October 03 12:34 am

Ah...just the people i need.

I too have just bought a SE T610.

I am actually making a wap page to give you very quick access to cache pages all across australia and it is for exactly the reason you are talking about. You can view everything, the latest logs, hints, nearest caches etc.

Would you be willing to help me test it??? I have been trying to overcome a small problem and have wondered if it is my phone.

email me at mengland@ozemail.com.au if you are willing. This wap site is exactly what you have been looking for and has been designed using the T610

Gunn Parker

Post by Gunn Parker » 04 October 03 7:52 pm

Hi Embi
I have just bought a nokia 3530 which has WAP, but I have to set it up with optus yet, will this work with your site and if so how would it be better than clipping to the palm?
Andrew

embi

Post by embi » 05 October 03 12:16 am

There is basically 2 generations of phones that I can figure out. The newer ones can read html and the older ones wml.

wml is simplified html basically. I had originally written the web site for wml then found out my phone cant 'read' it so I have done it in html. So if your phone can read html then its ok. I am considering making it both wml and html.

As far as using your palm or the phone, either is ok. But the phone is a backup. Imagine you are on holidays and want to find a new cache this will do it...clipping has to be done at home. Or if you forget your palm pilot.

I have been out before thinking i have the cache info in my palm and havent. I gave up on 3 caches one day because of that. I could have used the phone and got the info. Its basically just another tool to use.

i! are hoping to make it totally automated for us too.

Team Pathfinder

Post by Team Pathfinder » 07 October 03 11:18 am

Hi Embi - (and everyone)
I just did a test run on your Vic page and its working fine - can call up all of the locations, descriptions etc etc.
Looks fantastic - easy to read. Great effort.
There should be a sudden run on WAP compatible mobile phones amongst the Geo-crowd now :D