Recovery of deleted jpeg files Help please?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Recovery of deleted jpeg files Help please?

Post by swampgecko » 14 November 05 9:20 pm

One for the Ubergeeks amongst us, my computer illiterate father (the Old Croc) has managed to move and delete a heap of holiday pics on his computer. It is an older system he was given, running Windoze98. He moved the wrong file to the recycle bin, then emptied the bin..... then realised what he had done... since then he has also shutdown and restarted the computer..

Is there anyway of now recovering the files?

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 14 November 05 9:36 pm

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 14 November 05 10:01 pm

Try googling for 'Recover my files'. Its saved me plenty of times.

Its pretty thorough, ive managed to recover files deleted 4 years ago with it, and have even showed a friend the evidence of who her husband was cheating on, from the deleted internet history that was 'left' behind.

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 14 November 05 10:09 pm

Having done restorations of files a lot of times for legal investigations in one of my previous jobs it is not something that your father should attempt if he is a computer illiterate as you say as restoration of files introduces a lot of possible errors into the file system unless you absolutely know what you are doing.

There is a small possiblity that he could corrupt a bit of the disk that could escalate into a major loss of data. I have done it twice now and I knew what I was doing. (Actually done twice on the same hard drive but it had been mirrored before the investigation and restored after each failure until I got it right.)

Win98 file system is robust enough to recover the file if the computer has not had a reason to write any file over where the one you want to recover was located.

You have to weigh the cost of getting someone who knows what they are doing against the possiblity of loosing more data if someone who is not up to speed tries.

Programs like the one embi suggests are good but only if you know what you are doing in the first place.

Spruce Mooses
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Spruce Mooses » 15 November 05 7:58 am

Try a program called R studio, once it has scanned the disk you can search through the deleted files and restore the ones you want it is quite easy to use.