Geo2OZI convertor with great features

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 20 October 03 9:46 am

ClydeE Wrote:
Looking at the logs in MacGyver I notice that the log on September 28 by EcoTeam has URL links that are quite long and do not contain any spaces
On the isilo generated page from the GPXSpinner those URLs are treated as normal text and have line breaks added.
On checking the html as produced by both programs GPXSpinner has added breaks < br > (without the spaces )to the text every 69 chars.

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

UTM Co-Ords

Post by ClydeE » 20 October 03 12:21 pm

EcoTeam wrote:There is just one addition that would be awesome, and that is UTM coords calculated and displayed on the HTML cache pages like on gc.com.
I thought this one would be easy but this conversion is quite convoluted :? . However, I finally tracked down some conversion code I can actually understand - so I will include in the next update :D .

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Roblisa GPX warning

Post by ClydeE » 20 October 03 3:58 pm

*** WARNING ****

It would appear the GPX files downloaded from RobLisa no longer contain the Lat and Lon co-ordinates.

this makes the GPX file just about useless in NOT just geo2ozi but all other software.

Worse still, Geo2ozi just hangs if you try the "Home" button or select the "Set this this cache as center point". I will have to do better error checking on the GPX file in the next release :(

I suspect gc.com have changed their layout again and when Roblisa try to harvest the waypoints, lat and lon comes up empty. (probably another try by gc.com to get people to sign up for the premium membership)

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Re: UTM Co-Ords

Post by EcoTeam » 21 October 03 12:03 am

ClydeE wrote:
EcoTeam wrote:There is just one addition that would be awesome, and that is UTM coords calculated and displayed on the HTML cache pages like on gc.com.
I thought this one would be easy but this conversion is quite convoluted :? . However, I finally tracked down some conversion code I can actually understand - so I will include in the next update :D .
Awesome!, thanks Clyde!
There are simple and complex ways to do the conversion, depending on the accuracy you want. I believe the simple method works fine, and I remember someone posted an extremely simple formula on the group some time back...
I used to have an excel spreadsheet which used "Redferns method", but the method posted was much simpler from memory.

EcoDave :)

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Version 2.07

Post by ClydeE » 25 October 03 11:43 pm

Hi all,

Changes this update:

1. UTM Co-Ordinates now show on offline Html page.

2. HTML logs now include line breaks to keep the layout faithful to the gc.com pages.

3. Added “Placed ByÂâ€

Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Stargazer » 27 October 03 6:28 pm

My found caches are not being found atm<p>

Am I doing something wrong all of the sudden or am I not the only one having problems?<p>

:roll:

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Found problems

Post by ClydeE » 27 October 03 11:00 pm

Team Stargazer wrote:My found caches are not being found atm<p>

Am I doing something wrong all of the sudden or am I not the only one having problems?<p>

:roll:
I would hazard a guess that the GPX file you are converting is from RobLisa. Obviously they are still having problems (refer my previous post in this forum) as I have downloaded their files, and they no longer contain the found status of caches. (this is not a problem for GPX files from gc.com)

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 29 October 03 10:04 pm

ClydeE,

My thanks for a wonderful product..... It has transformed the way I do things now. I was not a believer at first, but whilst over at Riblit's on a non-caching matter(which always turns to "how did you go caching today?") he showed me how to utilise your programme... That was after he made me sit down to use Oziexplorer.... Now both are essential programmes for me.

Great work and keep it up ...

Swampy

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Geo2ozi Version 2.08

Post by ClydeE » 01 November 03 8:18 pm

Hi All,

Just a small update this time, changes include:

1. When setting a filter the heading of the corresponding item will be highlighted in yellow when you enter a selection different to the default settings. This makes it easier to see exactly what you have set in a filter.

2. You can now save/delete filters. This enables you to set up filters, then recall them without having to key in (and remember) the details again. If your filter includes distance or bearing information, geo2ozi also saves the current center point - when you restore the filter, that center point is also restored.

If you do not (or seldom) use filters, then this update is probably not worth downloading.

Cheers
Clyde

zijerfex
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by zijerfex » 05 November 03 12:55 pm

I just downloaded the newest update and put it to use. Absolutely fantastic program Clyde. I just have one comment concerning the new conversion to UTM. I am (fairly?) sure that you have got the correct conversion algorithm, but when I try to plot the location (eg BOOMTown) in my Sydway, I am approx 2400m to the west and ~100m south of the actual location. I first thought that it was just a simple datum issue since the Sydway (still!) uses AUS66 , not GDA94 which is practically the same as WGS84. This may be the issue for the northing, but the easting correction is only about 112m, not 2400. I solved the issue and plotted my next assault by changing the map datum in OziExplorer to AUS66 and reading it off from the screen, but this is not an option in the field. Not sure what to do about it, but just thought you might want to take a look at it.

Phil

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ClydeE » 05 November 03 2:14 pm

zijerfex wrote:. I am (fairly?) sure that you have got the correct conversion algorithm
Phil
I have checked the co-ords with gc.com and they match exactly. So if they are wrong then so are gc.com

Any one else care to comment on this?

maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by maccamob » 05 November 03 2:16 pm

zijerfex wrote:I solved the issue and plotted my next assault by changing the map datum in OziExplorer to AUS66 and reading it off from the screen, but this is not an option in the field.
I take this to mean you don't have access to a laptop 'in the field'? If you want to do the datum transformation before you set out, or even if you do have a laptop, there are a couple of great little utilities that can do the transformation for you, and they are free! One is GEOD, available from http://www.lpi.nsw.gov.au/gda/transinf.html . The other is GDAit, from http://www.land.vic.gov.au/web/root/dom ... C9000BAFF7]. Both can transform in either direction, and using any combination of UTM and Lat/Long for input and output. If you just want to do transformations on-line, go to http://www.land.vic.gov.au/web/root/dom ... C40006F05A] . GDAit is also available as a .dll for software developers, but I doubt it's worth including in Geo2Ozi - surely the next edition of Sydway will have the 'right' datum? (Melway switched over this year.)<p>

Geo2Ozi's offline UTM coords look ok, but because they are based on the WGS84 datum, you would need to use GEOD, GDAit or something similar to convert them for use on the current Sydway.

ClydeE
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Version 2.09

Post by ClydeE » 11 November 03 9:58 pm

Hi all,

Changes this version:

1. New database format to allow for more features
2. Unlimited logs in the html offline view
3. Configuration option to set the number of logs to view in offline html view
4. User notes
5. User update of the cache found status
6. New colour controls that mimic OziExplorer
7. Set the URL for online cache viewing
8. Travel bug, Terrain, and difficulty filters are now much quicker
9. New "Between" operands for Placed Date, found Date, Terrain and difficulty filters
10. Support for gc.com LOC files
11. Fixed issue with dates in saved filters
12. Fixed issue with last found date

New Database format
The underlying structure of the offline database has been changed. This allows the addition of features that were previously not possible. Immediate benefits are quicker filters (for bugs, terrain, and difficulty), unlimited logs, and the ability to add user notes. Unfortunately that means this update will clear out your offline database. Just re-convert your GPX files to rebuild your offline database. If you have some older GPX files, convert these first – giving you the immediate benefit of the extra logs feature.

Unlimited Logs
The GPX files from gc.com only contain the last 5 logs. However, Geo2ozi now collects the unique logs from each individual GPX file and adds them to the database. There is now an option in the config menu to limit of the number of logs shown in the offline html view.

User Notes
You can now add/update your own user notes to each cache. Just right mouse click on a cache in the offline view. The user note will always print as the first log in the offline HTML view. If you have GPX files that have user notes created by watcher, the conversion process will recognize these notes and update the note field in geo2ozi.

User update of cache found status
This addresses the RobLisa format where they no longer provide the found status in the data – but can also be use for LOC files or any other GPX file that does not have the correct found status. If you change this configuration option it will allow you to change the found status of any cache (just mouse click in the box). It also stops incoming conversions then updating this status (the assumption being if you are using this option to change the cache found status, you don't want the next file updating all your found caches back to not found again)

New Colour Controls
After unsuccessful attempts to find colour controls that matched OziExplorer I finally decided to build my own. The new colour boxes mimic those used in OziExplorer. You can now set your found, not found and placed caches to ANY colour that OziExplorer supports.

Set the URL for online cache viewing
You can customize the URL that is used when you display a cache online. For more information use the corresponding help button on the config screen.

Support for gc.com LOC files
***Warning – gc.com LOC files are very basic and the only information they contain are the cache ID, description, and co-ordinates (even less data than the RobLisa Format). In a future release I will add the ability to add/change your own caches, but for now this will allow you to quickly add in last minute updates or archived caches from gc.com As there is no state provided with this data, you will be asked to enter a state on conversion.

Fixed issue with dates in saved filters
If you save a filter that has no changes to the date settings, all dates will be saved as "Today". When you restore that filter all dates will be set to "Today" ie the current date. There was a problem in version 2.08 where this did not happen. (any filter saved with dates from the 1st to the 9th of the month). If you have saved filters that exhibit this incorrect behaviour, delete them and re-create.

Fixed bug with last found date
The last found date was being updated with the date of the last log – it should be the last FOUND log

Download here http://members.iinet.net.au/~cwe/geo2ozi.htm

Cheers
Clyde

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 11 November 03 10:44 pm

ClydeE wrote:
zijerfex wrote:. I am (fairly?) sure that you have got the correct conversion algorithm
Phil
I have checked the co-ords with gc.com and they match exactly. So if they are wrong then so are gc.com

Any one else care to comment on this?
GC.com uses WGS84 as the Datum, whereas the Sydway still uses AGD66 :(

The Melway I am lead to believe has been bought up to date with the new datum, but Sydway lags behind. Other states will likely have similar problems to Sydney?

Not a major problem, as I (used to) always mentally correct the UTM on the GC.com printout and it almost always got me close enough.
Would be a nice feature if you could select the datum though.

Keep up the fantastic work!

Regards
EcoDave :)

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

latest update

Post by riblit » 11 November 03 11:08 pm

ClydeE Wrote:
If you have GPX files that have user notes created by watcher
THere is something wierd with the notes. I have some caches where the watcher notes are not recognised. In ones where they have been, the last part of the note has been mixed with the last log.
I'll investigate further.
Seeing the database keeps all caches, it needs some method to mark archived caches. At the moment the only thing that separates them from the active caches is the last update date.
I currently have 22 archived caches in the database. Another column to manually mark them archived and maybe a different colour and symbol would work.

It's looking better all the time...