New Beta Version of Mapsource

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
edmil
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

New Beta Version of Mapsource

Post by edmil » 19 September 05 10:46 pm

Just downloaded a beta version of Mapsourse from the Garmin Website.
Definitely worth checking out.
To definitely interesting aspects are the added support for LOC files and the ability to interface with Google earth.

I've already had a play with Google earth and you couldn't get anythin simplier, Check it out.

Changes made from version 6.8.0 to 6.9.0 Beta:

* Change to warn users when the beta will expire. This is done in the applicationÂ’s title bar, at startup (this can be silenced), and in the about dialog.
* Change to merge data received from a GPS into the current document.
* Added several map POI icons, including summit, landmark, arena/track, sports/fitness center, city hall, dealer/auto parts, and bowling center.
* Added the ability to view the data contained in the current document in Google Earth, if it is installed.
* Added support for importing LOC files.
* Added the product restrictions dialog, which is shown when you open a map product that has limitations imposed by license restrictions with the map-data vendor.
* Improved error reporting during communication with PocketPC devices.
* Changed the route preferences page to use the same road class avoid/prefer design used in newer GPSÂ’s.
* Change to not show detailed map outlines when viewing areas that are not installed (in a partial install).
* Change to notify the user what invalid data is received from a GPS, so that the user can correct or remove this data on the GPS.
* Changed the SI unit for speed from “kphÂâ€

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 20 September 05 6:26 pm

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 26 September 05 11:10 pm

After installing it now says the software will expire in a month or so..
So does my mapsource just stop then and I'm screwed unless I reinstall to a previous version?The original install off CD never gave a warning about expiring.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 26 September 05 11:44 pm

hey,

has anybody noticed the whole "moving map" thing has disappeared?

Tried to use it on the weekend, and it wasn't there!!

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 26 September 05 11:54 pm

Cached wrote:hey,

has anybody noticed the whole "moving map" thing has disappeared?

Tried to use it on the weekend, and it wasn't there!!
There was something about that in a tracks4australia group mailing. Seems there is a 'free' separate program to do that now.

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 28 September 05 9:27 pm

If you want a moving map you will now need to download Nroute. It is on the garmin website somewhere for download, its actually better than what the old mapsource prgram could ever pull off.

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 21 November 05 11:34 am

Zytheran wrote:After installing it now says the software will expire in a month or so..
So does my mapsource just stop then and I'm screwed unless I reinstall to a previous version?The original install off CD never gave a warning about expiring.
My beta version demo has expired, and now I can't get MapSource to work at all! I just says that the Beta Version of Mapsource has expired. And I tried to go back, reinstall the 2 MapSource products I had before, unlock them, etc - and it still says its an expired demo version.

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 21 November 05 2:35 pm

Snuva wrote:My beta version demo has expired, and now I can't get MapSource to work at all! I just says that the Beta Version of Mapsource has expired. And I tried to go back, reinstall the 2 MapSource products I had before, unlock them, etc - and it still says its an expired demo version.
I would have thought that you would be able to download the latest release of the beta, and install that. In theory that should then continue the life of it :?:

I've kept mine up to date as the beta's have come out, so this is just an idea :?:

embi

Post by embi » 21 November 05 3:14 pm

I just downloaded the latest version and it installed over the beta version and its working fine

Zytheran

Post by Zytheran » 25 November 05 10:50 pm

Zytheran wrote:After installing it now says the software will expire in a month or so..
Well, it expired didn't it!:x
Yep. Screwed. This totally sucks. Why didnt they say "Try our new software for 1 month and then never use our software again"?:shock:
Now I can't load *maps* into my expensive *mapping* GPS.
Back to using my command line loader and my own maps.

Next time I need a GPS I might not be looking at Garmin. What, with the dodgy screen with lines, dodgy rocker switch that sometimes doesn't work and rubber protection falling off they have pretty much lost a customer now.

Now to try to reload software etc., etc. , as if I have nothing better to do.

Late News:
Latest version, which is no longer Beta so this shouldn't happen again can be downloaded from:
http://www.garmin.com/support/download_ ... jsp?id=209

The only thing I think of in their defence is that they didn't want people using the Beta software for longer than they had to so put in the expiry to firce them to get the latest version.. A nag screen saying a new non-beta version was available would have been nicer.
Last edited by Zytheran on 25 November 05 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 25 November 05 11:01 pm

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_ ... jsp?id=209

Just download Version 6.9.1 and install over your expired edition. Released on November the 8th 2005. This one will not expire and you can also register to get email notification on new updates. just stay away from any of those BETA versions.

For those who want Moving maps on thier laptops or Car computers download N Route.

http://www.garmin.com/support/collectio ... 9-99999-10

Good luck.