!!Does GSAK automatically D/L your Pocket Queries????

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Cached
2500 or more caches found

!!Does GSAK automatically D/L your Pocket Queries????

Post by Cached » 16 August 05 11:02 am

I usually download my PQs automatically with GSAK - wonderful idea, esp. now I have broadband.

Clears them off the server (I like that too) so I never, ever look at the pesky things. They do their job and off they go.

BUT

I was looking at my inbox online a minute ago and I noticed something really, really bad.

It was this little note on the bottom of a yet unD/L'd PQ:
Please note: Due to the recent issues with the Pocket Query Generator, you will need to click on the link at the end of this email to re-run this query a week from today. This is a temporary solution until we can speed up the Generator. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Aargh - on checking, it appears that many of my PQs have been turned off because I have not clicked this link!!!

I suggest you all check your PQ list at http://www.geocaching.com/pocket as this may have happened to you as well.

Hope this saves you grief

Cached

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 16 August 05 11:27 am

Yep, I noticed this last week.

Seems a bit rich to me. GC charge you money for essentially the ability to do PQ's and then they turn them off on you.

So they get your cash and then disable the thing you paid for. I know it's for performance reasons, but that why we pay. If it were free I'd understand, but when you fork up the dough you don't expect to have to go back each day to turn your PQ's back on. :roll:

I wonder how much money they will save (make) while people don't realise what's going on.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 16 August 05 11:29 am

Thanks Cached :lol:

Even using the manual process, i hadn't ever read the content of these emails as i just double-click on the attached file and load it into GSAK :roll: Goes to show how much i pay attention to certain emails :lol:

Agsmky

alpha993
200 or more found
200 or more found

Re: !!Does GSAK automatically D/L your Pocket Queries????

Post by alpha993 » 16 August 05 3:54 pm

Cached wrote:I usually download my PQs automatically with GSAK - wonderful idea, esp. now I have broadband.

Clears them off the server (I like that too) so I never, ever look at the pesky things. They do their job and off they go.
<P> now that level of automation sounds cool - how do you do it?

Cached

Post by Cached » 16 August 05 4:35 pm

off the top of my head:

file/download email

dajjct
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by dajjct » 16 August 05 11:39 pm

Not only do you have to reenable them each time, but some don't even run. I am currently running quite a few as I am planning a trip interstate. I normally have at least 2 run every day. Yesterday (15th pst or whatever time zone it is) those 2 didn't run at all. Still have the tick next to them to run on mondays but nothing done! :?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 16 August 05 11:51 pm

What I've found works is to have my query run on 1 day only.. so I have 7 queries, one for Monday, one for tuesday etc.etc....

I used to have one query that ran every day, but alas, these get pushed to the bottom of the queue...

With the current issues though, I still have to go an re-activate them after they have run, but at least they are coming thru.

dajjct
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by dajjct » 17 August 05 9:21 am

Have to ammend my post above, 1 of them has run, a day late, but if I click the link on the bottom, it activates it for the day it was run, not the day it was supposed to run, which is still activated. :x

alpha993
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by alpha993 » 18 August 05 10:22 pm

thanks for suggestions - I have managed to download GPX files by file...get data via email... and entering settings and manually clicking on getmail button.

I have found macros option (including run at start-up) - any chance of posting a working macro script to automate the GPX import on start-up?

Team Red Roo
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Roo » 19 August 05 2:55 am

Any macro can be set to run when you start GSAK. Go to Tools > Options > > Advanced > Run a macro on startup. :roll:

For a working macro have a look at the GetMail.txt macro on the macros page of the GSAK website http://gsak.net/Macros.php You will most likely have to modify it, but it's not really all that difficult :lol: