Google Maps

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
embi
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 11 October 06 11:58 pm

This must have been taken just days before we started building.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q ... 9&t=k&om=1

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 12 October 06 2:51 am

caughtatwork wrote:
Geof wrote:Until recently I had writen google maps off as a bad joke like macromedia flash :evil: or as something only for broadband but it seems it works if you wait long enough on dialup and all the cache pins are cool 8) .

The question:
When a map loads the PC sits there for some time without downloading data and a partly built map. Is that due to the PC chewing over some java, maths etc or a delay at the server end :? ?

For example this map of C@W's cache takes 2miniutes and 25 seconds to load over a 48000 bps connection but it stopes in the middle for a wile.

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0409.gmap
My guess is that it's waiting for the server to give you all the map images. There are quite a number of individual images coming down, so your dial up is probably causing most of the delay.

There is some server time at GCA to get the pins from the database, but that shouldn't be too bad.

There is a bit of processing at your end, so if you have a less than stellar PC that will also add to the delays.
The map loads almost instantly for me, and the pins a few seconds later. I'm on a very fast connection, so it does look like a speed issue with dial up.

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 12 October 06 12:52 pm

Thanks for that info C@W & Zactyl :) . Yes I think my work P1 100Mhz with 64m ram qualifys as less than steller :twisted: .

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 12 October 06 3:20 pm

Geof wrote:Thanks for that info C@W & Zactyl :) . Yes I think my work P1 100Mhz with 64m ram qualifys as less than steller :twisted: .
Ouch :shock: 1mb Graphics card?! :P
With that information, I think it's more than just the dial up connection... :lol:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 12 October 06 9:56 pm

Geof wrote:Thanks for that info C@W & Zactyl :) . Yes I think my work P1 100Mhz with 64m ram qualifys as less than steller :twisted: .
Less than stellar? :shock:
Try using it as a door stop, it would perform better :-)

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 13 October 06 12:30 am

...or a boat anchor!