Google Earth

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
zactyl

Post by zactyl » 31 July 05 1:24 pm

Or cauliflowers :P
Anti terrorist precautions maybe? :wink:

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 01 August 05 11:13 am

Its a Tasmanian Government plan to finally be rid of Ravenswood.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 07 August 05 3:06 pm

I just installed the updated version and it's running fine. All my places, geocache network link etc remain intact but you will lose whatever data is cached.
The "Global cloud map" overlay I had saved doesn't seem to want to load though. Maybe there could be problems with other overlays?

Improvements are you can increase your cache file to 2000mb and there is a handy option for a world overview map. Double click anywhere to zoom there. Apparently it handles the cached data better and allows offline use.

This is from http://www.googleearthhacks.com. There's no mention of it on the http://www.earth.google.com but I guess they wouldn't want to have the site swamped.
Google has released their second update to Google Earth!

For Google Earth Free or Plus:
http://desktop.google.com/download/eart ... s-0464.exe (10.7 MB)

For Google Earth Pro:
http://desktop.google.com/download/eart ... o-0464.exe (22 MB)

There are two major enhancements to report with this update.

First, the cache system has been completely re-worked, which they claim offers MUCH better performance. This also means that your old cache file will be lost, but that's just a minor inconvenience. Also, you can now choose to increase your total cache size to 2000 MB.

Second, there is now an "overview" that you can have up in the corner of the screen. To start it up, go to "View --> Overview Map". To adjust the size/zoom of the map, go to "Tools --> Options --> Navigation". You can double-click on the overview to fly to wherever you want!

A complete list of updates can be found here:
http://bbs.keyhole.com/GoogleEarth-Beta-differences.txt
After playing a bit longer I have found it is more stable. Previously Google Earth was crashing a lot when I exited while having the GCA network link running. Seemed to prefer it if I deselected the link first. This new version doesn't have a problem with it though. Closes down a lot faster too.

The kml files for cacher logs does seem to have a problem still. My personal file loads fine, but I tried to load Swampgecko's and it crashes. Did the same thing on the previous version.

Tried Maccamob's cache log file. Yikes! almost 600kb and it crashed too but only when I started to try zoom and move the map.

The 2 dogs loads fine. Ideology crashes.... maybe the amount of data it has to display is too big? I changed my "memory cache size" setting to 160mb but it still crashed. Would be interesting to hear if it runs for other people.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 07 August 05 4:45 pm

Damo. wrote:This is from http://www.googleearthhacks.com. There's no mention of it on the http://www.earth.google.com but I guess they wouldn't want to have the site swamped.
Just in case anyone hasn't noticed, there's a "check for updates online" option under the Help menu.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 17 August 05 5:31 pm

Just a note of interest ... the detailed aerial data for Sydney now extends to the Northern Suburbs/Beaches. W000000T!

- Rog

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 05 September 05 5:27 pm

Trying to work out a way to load an Ozi track file in. A web search brought up this link<p>http://web.295.ca/gpz550/OziToGoogleEarth.zip
<p> but the server keeps timing out. Does anyone have this or a similar file handy?

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 05 September 05 6:11 pm

Just use GPSBabel and convert it to a GPX file

Dooghan

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 05 September 05 7:05 pm

Mind Socket wrote:Just a note of interest ... the detailed aerial data for Sydney now extends to the Northern Suburbs/Beaches. W000000T!

- Rog
And the CBD/Harbour area is finally hi-res; no more vague white blob for the Opera House!

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 08 September 05 4:28 am

Greetings from Berlin!

Richary,
I downloaded a tool for converting track files (plt), remind me to send you a link in October. :) The rest, as dooghan says, can be done using gpsbabel.

I'm going to Google Earth enable my trip )tracks, waypoints and photos) when I get back. I might even have done some actual caches by then too (onlz done 3 virtuals so far :(

Guten tag,
- Rog

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 05 December 05 10:04 pm

Looks like the images around Sydney CBD have been changed again. Maybe a little bit higher res than before.
There's a ferry doing donuts in Circular Quay!

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 06 December 05 12:06 am

Dooghan wrote:Just use GPSBabel and convert it to a GPX file

Dooghan
I have just tried this myself tonight and I am not able to get any tracks onto google earth, could you give me a bit more of a clue on how to do this please,
thanks
Andrew

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 06 December 05 7:18 pm

Gunn Parker wrote:
Dooghan wrote:Just use GPSBabel and convert it to a GPX file

Dooghan
I have just tried this myself tonight and I am not able to get any tracks onto google earth, could you give me a bit more of a clue on how to do this please,
thanks
Andrew
Using GPSBabelGUI select a Ozi track file as your input file and format Ozi. output file is GPX XML and give it a name. Make sure you put .gpx on the end of the file name. When you got the gpx file open up Google Earth and open the file. It works for me

Dooghan

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 09 December 05 2:18 pm

I've had a brilliant idea! :D I open Google Earth, notice a new cache (via the GCA feed), click on it and SEND TO GPS! It's foolproof, free, picks up GCA caches, I don't have to muck around with GPX files and a bunch of other programs. Now if I could only combine my great idea with some programming knowledge... :roll:
Anyone able to tell me if this could work? I'm guessing it'd need GPSbabel or something as a back end.

Cached

Post by Cached » 09 December 05 2:21 pm

I think this feature is available if you have paid a subscription to google earth - mind you, I think the GC.com caches have their coords fudged a little to stop data scraping - but I could be wrong.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 09 December 05 2:43 pm

Cached wrote:I think this feature is available if you have paid a subscription to google earth - mind you, I think the GC.com caches have their coords fudged a little to stop data scraping - but I could be wrong.
Correct on both counts.
There is a random error of about 100 metres with the gc.com caches and a limit set on the number of viewings. You can see the intruduced random error if you zoom in on a cache and scroll the image slightly. After the map stops moving, the cache will 'jump' to a slightly different location.