best pocket PC software like cachemate or gsak

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

best pocket PC software like cachemate or gsak

Post by Webguy » 23 June 05 2:24 pm

I have a couple of friends who are just starting out and want to put their pocket PC's to use.

I use cachemate on Palm OS and love it, is there anything on Pocket PC that is like that, as opposed to just displaying cache pages? Something they can log finds in to keep a history for then when later manually logging online when they get home.

URLs, names of software, cheers.

acts2youthgroup
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by acts2youthgroup » 23 June 05 7:07 pm

Glad you started this topic. I am in the process of buying a palmE2 and was wondering what was the best software for managing caches pages. and something to keep track of caches done.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 23 June 05 7:51 pm

acts2youthgroup, a palmE2 is a different operating platform to a Pocket PC. The former runs PalmOS, the latter run's Microsoft's Windows CE/Mobile.

Software for the Palm has already been discussed quite heavily in this forum, but in short, GSAK (for managing stuff on the PC), iSilo (for converting/reading HTML pages as a palm friendly document) and cachemate (custom software specifically for feeding GPX files into) are good ones to look at for the palm. Webguy is after some suggestions of equivalent software for the Pocket PC platform.

Some of the above software is linked to from the tools section:
http://geocaching.com.au/tools/
Apparently CacheMate now supports GCA GPX files natively too.

Hope that helps, now on with the Pocket PC show ... :)
- Rog

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 23 June 05 7:54 pm

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 23 June 05 7:57 pm

There is a freebe called GPXSonar (google it) that runs on a pocket PC. It supports either a PQ or GSAK GPX file, is searchable, allows field notes with timestamp, sorts by tapping the column headers etc.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 23 June 05 9:17 pm

riblit wrote:There is a freebe called GPXSonar (google it) that runs on a pocket PC. It supports either a PQ or GSAK GPX file, is searchable, allows field notes with timestamp, sorts by tapping the column headers etc.
I use this... I used to use cachemate on a palm before.... GPXSonar is quite similar (and FREE!!)

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 23 June 05 9:26 pm

Mind Socket wrote:Apparently CacheMate now supports GCA GPX files natively too.
Ooh, you got me all excited there for a minute! I went off to Smitty's site and looked for the version that didn't need the conversion step on the PC, only to have my hopes dashed when I realised that you just meant that CMCONVERT now handles gc.com.au format.

But you've reminded me that I must put the CacheMate conversion into my "Perth caches" macro!

Sorry, Cached; back to Windowsey recommendations!

alex
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by alex » 23 June 05 10:02 pm

I'm using a nifty little Palm OS program called Cache Log Book to record my finds (or other) on my iQue3600. You can download it (freeware) from www.rjrudy.org.

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 23 June 05 11:40 pm

alex wrote:I'm using a nifty little Palm OS program called Cache Log Book to record my finds (or other) on my iQue3600. You can download it (freeware) from www.rjrudy.org.
Does it run under PPC? I think not!

ideology

Post by ideology » 25 June 05 9:57 am

is anyone able to use this info to help complete the description page on the wiki? it would be really nice to get a full list

http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Wayp ... t_software

thanks!

GEOTRECAZ

GPX Sonar on Pocket PC

Post by GEOTRECAZ » 08 July 05 11:30 pm

We have used GPXSonar with GSAK files on our iPAQ for some time now and find it really useful when out and about. Field Notes are easy use, you can bookmark centre co-ordsand sort by them, and even view hints from the listing. We downloaded from geocaching.com.