MapRequest - Testers wanted

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

MapRequest - Testers wanted

Post by Ebenezer » 03 June 05 12:23 pm

Hi.

I am working on a small update to MapRequest so that it has an easy installer for Windows (.exe).

Basically I am looking for people to take it for a spin. You need Java 1.4.1 installed, and (ideally) Ozi Explorer installed. I'm after some feedback on whether the installer/uninstaller and start menu shortcuts work OK.

What is MapRequest I hear you ask? It is an application to assemble larger maps from mapping based web sites. (e.g. ArcIMS and WMS sites.) You can then save the resulting map on your PC along with calibration information for Ozi Explorer. More information at http://maprequest.sourceforge.net

If you are interested, download MapRequestSetup.exe from:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=332080

Post feedback here, or send me a PM.

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 03 June 05 1:45 pm

Downloaded this and seems to generally work OK, except no detailed maps for SA (not your fault!)

The only hiccup was I needed to put the file extension on the name to save it. But looks OK in Ozi.

This could be a useful tool to get maps if there are some freely available ones for where you need to go.

Thanks

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 03 June 05 2:12 pm

Worked well for me, with j2sdk1.4.2_02 installed.
The Green city web map didn't work, but that may be a server issue.

- Rog

sc00t
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by sc00t » 03 June 05 2:56 pm

I'm after some feedback on whether the installer/uninstaller and start menu shortcuts work OK.
<br><br>
Installs and Uninstalls fine and it started from the shortcut in the start menu.
<br>
I couldn't actually use it due to works proxy, so sorry.

Richary

Post by Richary » 03 June 05 3:30 pm

Hmmm, generated a map initially using the Geoscience Australia Global Map. That seemed to reference pretty well when I put the cache waypoints on it.

Tried with the Nasa On Earth server and the waypoints appear about 5km north of where they are. This is over Adelaide. So the data coming down from that one as coords isn't correct.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 03 June 05 6:03 pm

sc00t wrote: I couldn't actually use it due to works proxy, so sorry.
See http://maprequest.sourceforge.net/proxy.html

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 03 June 05 8:49 pm

Mind Socket wrote:The Green city web map didn't work, but that may be a server issue.
I had a look at that. It looks like they have changed something on their site. I'll have a fiddle with it, but in the mean time I think they use the NSW Lands Department topo maps as a base, so you might want to use that.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 03 June 05 8:51 pm

richary wrote:Tried with the Nasa On Earth server and the waypoints appear about 5km north of where they are. This is over Adelaide.
I did notice this for Canberra. At first I thought their calibration might be a bit out, but I might have a fiddle with it to see if they are using a slightly different datum/projection to the one I expect.

Richary

Post by Richary » 03 June 05 11:26 pm

Ebenezer wrote:
richary wrote:Tried with the Nasa On Earth server and the waypoints appear about 5km north of where they are. This is over Adelaide.
I did notice this for Canberra. At first I thought their calibration might be a bit out, but I might have a fiddle with it to see if they are using a slightly different datum/projection to the one I expect.
Thanks mate, seems a great idea in any case. Glad I was sucking the data down at work :D Have been playing a bit with some of the other online sat map stuff, I suspect that chews serious bandwidth. The keyhole stuf seems to have pretty good resolution, I could make out the shed in my backyard.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 04 June 05 7:22 pm

Thanks a lot for your feedback everyone!