CF GPS Receiver

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
miray
200 or more found
200 or more found

CF GPS Receiver

Post by miray » 05 April 05 2:29 pm

Does anyone have any experience with CF GPS receivers? I'm thinking of getting one for my IPAQ 4700.

<p>There are a number of ones on EBAY from Globalsat http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 80094&rd=1 and Holux http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 80094&rd=1

<p>Do you know how accurate they are (I'm currently using a Garmin Etrex which we want to keep with the other IPAQ) and have any recommendations about what is best?

<p>Thanks

Derringer
2500 or more caches found

Post by Derringer » 05 April 05 3:55 pm

Am using a Haicom 302E CF card GPS with my Acer PDA.
It works a treat.
Besides giving me on line mapping (OziCE compatible) in the vehicle it works just as well in the field - as accurate as our other GPSr's - albeit it only gives single digit metres once you get below 10m to GZ ie 5m, 4m etc
Although we do use the external antenna whilst in the vehicle
The only thing we have noticed is that it sucks power from the PDA at a frightening rate as it has no power of its own.
For that reason we always keep the PDA on external power whilst in the vehicle and use our Garmins for field work.
I don't believe PDA's are robust enough for prolonged field work - dirt and water can penetrate too easily.
Johnny Appleseed GPS stock them - great service too, I got my GPSr's the very next day after ordering them.

Kevin

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 05 April 05 11:00 pm

Shoot a PM to Team Raider. He has been doing it for a while.

I have one for the laptop that worked for a while then stopped. Tried again last night after a reformat has made it a lot more stable but not having much luck. Might need to seek some advice on this one. Mine was a $120 off ebay job from Asia, and says Dconnex GPS on the top, model number BC-307.

It did work the first couple of days then played up, but so was everything on the laptop so I have up. Weird,it is recognised and the red light stays on while the drivers install, but then it shuts down. Same with a reinsert, comes on for a few seconds then stops again.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 05 April 05 11:34 pm

We are running that one for moving map on Ipaq in vehicle if needed and also with our Dell laptops.

Works great, only prob I had was a 20 minute first ever warm up time before figuring out where I actually was.

Unit has performed perfectly and has had some runs of 22 hours straight in vehicle with no power off and still no problems !:)

Udderchaos
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Udderchaos » 05 April 05 11:54 pm

I just ordered myself a new ipaq with the SD slot & a CF slot which i was gunna buy the CF reciever for.

watching a few on ebay as well.

People keep damn bidding on them and naturally I want to pay $0.50 for one so i guess i will have to wait....

miray
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by miray » 03 May 05 1:21 pm

Thanks for all your advice on CF GPS cards. I got a Holux 270 ultra last night (from Ebay, after being outbid first few tries). It worked well on moving map coming in to work this morning even without an aerial and resting on the passenger seat. Now all I need is a mount for an Ipaq 4700!

Cached

Post by Cached » 03 May 05 1:47 pm

I don't know if you can buy them separately, but the navman PIN holder was very nice - suction cup and all.

Cached

Post by Cached » 03 May 05 4:28 pm