Ozi Waypoint merge

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen

Ozi Waypoint merge

Post by Gunn Parker » 30 May 03 3:50 pm

Hi All
Is there a way to merge my waypoints and a friends waypoints into Ozi and have it set that for example, that mine would be yellow and his would be red and we would be able to see on the same map what each has done to plan a day out.
Thanks
Andrew

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 30 May 03 4:41 pm

Not sure about bulk colouring waypoints idea (perhaps you could do a search and replace on the colour column in a text editor), but you can load one WPT file, then do Load -> Append Waypoints From File for the 2nd WPT file.

There are a number of intuitive functions missing from oziexp IMHO, I often find myself using text editors to do bulk updates on waypoints. eg separating waypoints i've created, from gc.com waypoints.

Gunn Parker

Post by Gunn Parker » 30 May 03 4:52 pm

thanks for that, I had forgoton that I could Append Waypoints.
But how do you use your text editor?

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 30 May 03 5:04 pm

The .WPT file format is described in the oziexp help file. If you're so inclined, you can use a text editor to modify, merge, recolour, subset, relabel and so on. It's practical uses are limited but it lets you go slightly beyond what oziexp lets you do in efficiency terms.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 30 May 03 5:22 pm

You can change the properties of selected waypoints from the waypoint list.
Try loading up one set, changing the background colour to suit, saving. Loading the second set, changing the background colour to suit, merge the first set.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 30 May 03 5:31 pm

What he said. :) That's what I was trying to say, but I don't think there's a way of bulk recolouring in the waypoint list. My version lets me change the symbol and display formats.

Gunn Parker

Post by Gunn Parker » 30 May 03 5:38 pm

I think what riblit said is the best idea, what about exporting from cachemonkey into Ozi and the symbol is always an airoplane. I usually load the waypoints/sort/select all/change symbol and save, can I import with the symbol set to Trail head?

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 30 May 03 6:08 pm

You can bulk change the font style, font size, fore color (sic), back color (sic), symbol size, symbol, display format, pointer direction, Garmin display format and proximity on version 3.95.2

As for Cachemonkey, I suggested a while ago that it should have a means to select the symbols for found, unfound, hidden and unavailable. I think it will do this when uploading to the GPS, however mine refuses to talk to the GPS so I go through Ozi.

I may get enthusiastic one day and write something to change the Garmin symbol based on the colour. It would be another program to run the waypoint file through but will do the job as Cachemonkey will colour code the waypoints.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 31 May 03 12:04 am

I was enthused after my last post and wrote the aforementioned program. It's not pretty yet but it does change the garmin symbol based on the waypoint background colour. If anyone is interested I'll make it a bit more user friendly and post it somewhere.

Gunn Parker

Post by Gunn Parker » 01 June 03 3:36 pm

Please count me in and don't worry I like ugly ;)

hardunits
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by hardunits » 01 June 03 6:52 pm

Me too. Nice interfaces are for wimps. Everything should be done from a shell. That way you keep out the people who don't know what they are doing.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 02 June 03 6:22 pm

At the moment it makes the following assumptions:<br>

Oziexplorer is installed in its default location.<br>
Cachemonkey uses the default colours for its waypoints<br>
The cachemonkey waypoint file is called "cachemonkey.wpt" and lives in the data folder under oziexplorer<br>

Other than that, all one does is press the 'start' button and a file called newcache.wpt is made with the symbols changed to geocache, geocache_found, skull and camp for not found, found, unavailable and hidden.<br>

If you can live with that and have VB6 runtime on your computer this will work.<br>

I'll add some configuration to it 'later'<br>

it is at

http://members.optushome.com.au/riblit/ ... ypoint.zip<br>

On the off chance it wants a file you don't have, let me know and I will make it available.

Gunn Parker

Post by Gunn Parker » 02 June 03 11:18 pm

ok first prob for me, Ozi is not in default folder so I will change that and try again

hardunits
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by hardunits » 03 June 03 8:40 am

I will give it a try tonight and let you know how it goes. Would you like feedback here or emailed?

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 03 June 03 11:24 am

Either way hardunits. Just make sure you have the waypoint file in the c:oziexplorerdata directory and you call it cachemonkey.wpt, otherwise it will give you an error and go away.
I'll add a config option to accept a change of name and location sometime later.

14:39K
I hacked it a bit more over lunch - it now has a configuration option for the source and destination files new version has been uploaded.