Magellan Mapsend S&D vs. DiscoverAus S&T

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
tolmh

Magellan Mapsend S&D vs. DiscoverAus S&T

Post by tolmh » 17 January 05 7:40 pm

Is DiscoverAus Streets and Tracks just the old Mapsend Streets and Destinations CDs for each state on one disc? Or does it contain additional / different info?

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 17 January 05 8:13 pm

DAST is all the Mapsend Streets and Tracks states updated with all the states put into one program.

DAST is a HUGE inprovement over Mapsend QLD.

tolmh

Post by tolmh » 17 January 05 10:04 pm

Hrm. Is the 4WD track coverage much better than Mapsend? As in $250-worth better? ;)

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 17 January 05 10:07 pm

You should ask DJ Cache or Team Landcruiser since they both have Magellan units. I am sure someone else will jump in and answer this anyway...

I only use it on road so I dont know about its 4x4 features :(

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 17 January 05 10:37 pm

<b>Is it better ... yes if all you want is up to date maps. It is really version 1.1 of mapsend 1.0 an update rather than something new in respect to the maps. Speaking from a WA perspective only the 4x4 tracks are acurate but there are a lot less than in the original they seem to have dropped off a lot of the unused fire trails and lesser used tracks of which we prefer. Is it worth the $250? I dunno we did the $99 upgrade ... <br>I can't remember what the user interface was like in mapsend? <br>DAST is very similar to OziExplorer same options and tracking on route all the bells and whistles if you have a laptop and data cable it's better than Ozi in that respect.<p>I've heard rumours the new direct route OZ will be out around March/April so if your undecided and want audible directions wait for direct route and see if it's comparable. I also heard the mapping may suffer a little in direct route as it needs the available space for all the audio ... turn left here turn right here. I'd really be waiting for a 3D Topo like the one the yanks just got but I've never heard that mentioned as a possible downunder.

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 17 January 05 10:42 pm

Magellan .... March/April.....Need I say more? It wont happen :cry:

Lyn Pat and Nathan
500 or more caches logged

Post by Lyn Pat and Nathan » 17 January 05 10:44 pm

The difference in the maps is enough to make you want to have them both. With S and A. The old maps have much better coverage of old unused tracks. the data could be as old as 1960 with updates to about 5 years ago. So you are missing the newer streets and suburbs. They also are individual States as you know. The base map in the platinum magellan fixes up some errors with main roads as it adds them from its own data. (this wont be of assistance if you have an imported GPS unit with a USA basemap)
The new Discover Aust maps are up to date but the maps are now missing many of the unused tracks. We kept the old maps and the new ones and have loaded both mapsets into our Magellan Platinum.
We mostly use the new Disc Aust maps but sometimes if we are very misplaced we will change maps and have a look at the old ones. Its been of help a few times....but not lots. We even managed to drive down a track one time that just ended in 30 year old regrowth.
The new maps are seemless so you can go anywhere on the Australia map without having to change to a new state map.
The new maps are serial numbered as protection so you will need to protect that from prying eyes as they register it against your name
My advice is to keep both lots if you can. and get a 256 meg card...although we are using a 128meg and being carefull about what zones we have made so its not overfilled.
Magellan may let you trade in your old map for a $100 changeover fee (that was the going price when we inquired). Any other questions gladly anwered.

tolmh

Post by tolmh » 19 January 05 10:08 am

Thanks for the advice everybody. My brother-in-law is having grief 4WD-ing around the ACT using Mapsend. The usual outcome is that he follows a trail for a short period only to find that it's fenced off as 'private property'. At least now I can tell him why, and that he really would have been able to use the trail in the 60s ;).

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 19 January 05 11:54 am

Hi
<p>
A 2004 edition of DAST is currently on offer on <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... T">eBay</a>.
<p>
Regards
Andrew

TEAM WOMBAT
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Calm Maps

Post by TEAM WOMBAT » 27 January 05 2:26 pm

Calm have put out a new cd of tracks in WA I was advised that its $580 but is avaliable to 4x4 clubs for $280, think I'll wait until I see the disk

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 27 January 05 3:54 pm

OK Who's got the disk Craig, Tom? when are we going? .... tap, tap, tap.<p>Maybe mum will buy you one for easter since you can't have choc's :wink:

Lyn Pat and Nathan

Post by Lyn Pat and Nathan » 27 January 05 6:14 pm

$580 for maps CALM will sell lots of those at that price....NOT.
You would expect to pay around $200 for good maps but more than that is sooooooooo unrealistic. We wonder who does the pricing on their products ?

oznaturist
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by oznaturist » 27 January 05 7:58 pm

Gallop must be trying to fund an election. :lol:

TeamAstro
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Superior

Post by TeamAstro » 27 January 05 9:02 pm

Far Superior. Gunnell just visited Vic for Xmas and reckons that, for the 4X4 tracks, 100% appeared on the Magellan and 20% on the Garmin software he has.
I can't remember when my Magellan maps were not accurate - esp talking reasonable 4x4 stuff.
It does not map very remote stuff like the Canning Stock Route (for eg) though.

cheers, Astro.