Gca on iPhone

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
budgietas
10000 or more caches found

Gca on iPhone

Post by budgietas » 17 April 21 10:18 am

Hi. I know this is old debate, but the rise of the phone gps caching brings into the question why there is no GCa iPhone app.

I understand it is expensive, but maybe the community could do a “go fund me” to pay for the app. This could bring more people to gca? Currently we are kind of cutting off half (not sure of the exact % between iPhone and Android) of the potential people

What is the cost of an iPhone app, including all the apple on costs, etc

I am not making this thread to start a debate between iPhone and Android, nor complain about there not being an app, more say is it something the developers could do with some resources behind them and how many resources do they need?

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Re: Gca on iPhone

Post by Richary » 18 April 21 4:28 pm

There is an app, Geocube. I admit I find it not completely intuitive though and have never got it to talk properly to the website in the field. I have to download the PQs first. Which means planning.

budgietas

Post by budgietas » 19 April 21 8:08 am

Hi Richardy, but it’s not a direct communication to the web site, so you have to go and log on a computer when you get home, etc. maybe from field notes, but still not like a newbie Is going to understand that. They just want to find and log a cache

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 April 21 10:08 am

budgietas wrote:
19 April 21 8:08 am
Hi Richardy, but it’s not a direct communication to the web site, so you have to go and log on a computer when you get home, etc. maybe from field notes, but still not like a newbie Is going to understand that. They just want to find and log a cache
We have an API that allows for almost anything (except amending of logs and creating cache pages and publishing).

Geocube has access to a direct API call to find the "closest" geocaches by either your location or all geocaches in a bounding box (e.g. within a map page). Queries are another API call if you have predefined lists you want to call on in the field. Using that list it then produces geocache pages based on the geocaches returned from the search. Geocube will also allow you to log your geocaches in the field.

I can see from API calls this morning that people are using the BBOX, query and other searches to get geocaches. You might need to get hold of Team MajEtJu for some pointers on how to use those those functions in the field.

As far as a "Go Find Me" style funding arrangement, you can organise that and get someone to write it. The GCA developers develop the site and the capability to interact with the site. Other developers such as Team MajEtJu and Mtrax do app development for their own public apps but there are a dozen or so users that call the API for GSAK and their own personal apps.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 20 April 21 11:40 am

If the community wants to fund a coder to write an app for ANY platform, then they can! The framework is there.

(There's a big barrier to entry for developing for iOS, namely annual dev fees and all but requiring you develop on a Mac,plus the vague hoops to jump thru for app approval)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 April 21 2:32 pm

This is the API by the way.
https://geocaching.com.au/api/services/

wayn0

Post by wayn0 » 15 June 22 10:03 am

I geocache exclusively via an iPhone. I own a GPS and I use that for images with caches that require it but I bought it for satellite communication and for the SOS feature as I often hike alone.

I’ve only recently started my true GCA journey. I use the Cachly app. I created a pocket query with the relevant caches I like in a 400km radius from home. The GPX file can then be downloaded and imported into Cachly. If you find GPX files aren’t working then try downloading and importing your queries as ZIP files. This should work. The reason for this depends on what versions of Cachly and iOS you’re running. Once imported into a list you can add GC caches to the same list then you’re good to go and your adventure starts. However logging GCA caches needs to be completed via the website. Also, if you subscribe to GCA emails you can be notified of new caches that you can then add to Cachly.

It’s not a ‘live’ setup but so far it’s working well for me. Hope this helps a fellow iPhone geocacher. Happy to provide more details if asked

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 June 22 10:26 am

Thanks. I've added this to the wiki and updated the iOS link on the home page.