Garmin etrex 30 problem

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Goldenwattle
10000 or more caches found

Garmin etrex 30 problem

Post by Goldenwattle » 07 October 16 12:12 am

My Garmin was working fine until this morning. I found a GC cache, then some GA trigs. Then I realised that at that point all that was now showing on my Garmin were GA caches; the GC caches had disappeared from the screen and were not showing, despite being loaded as both queries and individually. They had been showing, but now they weren't. I had loaded quite a lot of files, so I thought that might be the problem. However, after I got home I took all the cache files off my Garmin and loaded one GC query only. None of the GC files still showed (yes, I did unzip it) and the Garmin stated I had no files. But the extra WPs belonging to the caches had loaded and were showing. I loaded a GA query and those caches showed. Any suggestions what might have happened?

I just remembered, that I had been having problems with loading 'next stage'; it wasn't taking, but I had thought that might have been because I had loaded LOTS of files; far more than usual and the Garmin told me I had loaded too many files. However, when I came home and deleted all the cache files and only loaded one GC query the caches still didn't show, but a loaded GA query did show. Help [-o< .

Goldenwattle

Re: Garmin etrex 30 problem

Post by Goldenwattle » 07 October 16 12:28 am

I just loaded an individual GC cache and it shows, but earlier the individually loaded GC caches disappeared too. The query GC caches are still not showing.

Agent Basil
2500 or more caches found

Post by Agent Basil » 07 October 16 11:21 am

Have you done a full reset of the unit?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 07 October 16 11:34 am

How are you loading them in?

If you are using GSAK make sure you dont have 'clear unit before loading' or whatever it is called unchecked from the download dialog.

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 07 October 16 12:34 pm

After loading and unzipping the CG file a few more times it is suddenly working :shock: ... :D =D>.
I'll see how it goes and if it gives more trouble I will have a look at Agent Basil's suggestion of a full reset of the unit. Or perhaps I should do that on the next updating of my files day.
I don't use GSAK, as I don't know much about this. Possible I should use this?
Thank you for the replies.

biggles1024

Post by biggles1024 » 07 October 16 1:29 pm

When you load .gpx file or files onto your GPS, do you always use the same file name? If so, that could be part of the problem. If not, disregard.

Another troubleshooting tip is to remove all .gpx files from your GPS, disconnect from your computer and then boot your GPS. Once it has booted, turn it off and reconnect to your computer and load new file or files onto it.

Cheers,

b.

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 07 October 16 2:23 pm

biggles1024 wrote:When you load .gpx file or files onto your GPS, do you always use the same file name? If so, that could be part of the problem. If not, disregard.

Another troubleshooting tip is to remove all .gpx files from your GPS, disconnect from your computer and then boot your GPS. Once it has booted, turn it off and reconnect to your computer and load new file or files onto it.

Cheers,

b.
I did take all the .gpx files off before I attempted to load new files, but it didn't make any difference. I do reuse the same name for the query. However, after several attempts, it has now come good, so I will see what happens.

geo_jas
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by geo_jas » 07 October 16 9:35 pm

I've had similar issues in the past. As biggles says the trick is to reboot the GPS after deleting the gpx file before loading the new one. I haven't had a problem since doing this.