Turn by Turn Navigation for caching

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Turn by Turn Navigation for caching

Post by gmj3191 » 09 February 14 11:06 pm

When I’m out caching by myself in the car, I usually choose a cache in c:geo, then hit the navigation button to get turn by turn voice instructions to get close to the cache in my car.
I can also do this using the Geocaching.com app for Android.

It has come to my attention that you can’t do this with the Geocaching.com app for iOS, and you can’t do it with GeoSphere either a user of that app has told me.

Is this an iOS platform limitation, or just a lack of functionality in those two iOS apps?

I am interested to know, and if this is a platform limitation on iOS, that is, passing a parameter and then transferring control to another app, it’s probably something people trying to make a purchase decision should be aware of.

Tyreless
800 or more hollow logs searched

Re: Turn by Turn Navigation for caching

Post by Tyreless » 10 February 14 8:19 am

Geosphere allows you to get turn by turn directions, either in the IOS maps or in Google Maps, by using Bookmarks. I haven't used this feature myself but a quick test shows it seems to work.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 10 February 14 12:17 pm

Sounds messy.
Would that be quick and easy to do in the field?

Tyreless

Post by Tyreless » 10 February 14 12:48 pm

It's easy. You can specify what bookmarks you want shown in each cache listing as default. Bring up the cache listing, scroll down, click "Directions in Maps", and off you go.