using GPX files with Oregon 600

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
madivad

using GPX files with Oregon 600

Post by madivad » 27 November 13 5:37 pm

He peeps, new* geocacher here and I need some advice on using these GPX files with Garmin's Oregon 600.

I have a pocket query (from geocaching.com) and have downloaded a gpx file of caches within 20km from my home. This works just fine.

But when I come to gca and download the gpx file for nsw I don't see any of them on my gps. I have heard people having problems with having files in subfolders of /garmin/gpx, but that's not it. To try and diagnose the problem I created a subfolder called "old" and put every file in the gpx folder into old. I then placed just nsw.gpx into the gpx folder and when I rebooted the gps I could still see all my other gpx data, but still nothing from the nsw.gpx. I then deleted everything in the gpx folder and put only nsw.gpx in there. On reboot, I see nothing, just a message that says I have no caches and to check out opencache.com.

This tells me two things:

1) it doesn't matter (for me) if my valid gpx files are in a subfolder or not, the oregon will find them, and
2) the nsw.gpx file I have from here isn't compatible with my device.

I don't have the option of using gsak (at this point) since I'm on osx and I have hosed the install (I have to get around the work out how to re-set it up. until then, windows apps are out). I just tried a couple of mac osx tools to check the nsw.gpx file and I got nothing. One app just crashes consistently. and (for some reason) I can't get them to appear in google earth.

I know it's probably a user error, I'm just hoping someone can help point me in the right direction.

edit:
*(new) I thought I would add in case anyone checks my profile. I registered back in 2006 and did a few caches back then (9 to be exact), but went no further with it. So although it says I've been caching since 2006, I have really only been doing it for two weeks. Back then I didn't have a GPS or an iPhone, I actually used a palm treo! Anyway, I digressed :) Any help appreciated.

caughtatwork

Re: using GPX files with Oregon 600

Post by caughtatwork » 27 November 13 5:43 pm

Go to http://geocaching.com.au/my/settings/
Check GPX Version and make sure it's set to 1.0.1 Compatible
They should work on your device.

madivad

Post by madivad » 27 November 13 7:53 pm

Thanks caw, that did fix that problem. I can now see caches from GCA! YAY!

TFTR :)

madivad

Post by madivad » 27 November 13 7:55 pm

Do you know if there'sa way to see how many caches I have listed? The NSW list doesn't say how many are in there, ie there's no last page button or total count (that I can see).

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 27 November 13 8:19 pm

Depends on what you used to get the file.
http://geocaching.com.au/stats/graphs/g ... ive_active
You should have around 3,000 assuming you picked up TrigPoints as well.

If you run a MyQuery you can set your criteria and you can get a count.

madivad

Post by madivad » 27 November 13 10:28 pm

Excellent, that has helped me beyond belief. Although it is taking a " knack" to get the query just right. Thanks for your help